THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Steering Wheel Channel Select Option?

01-08-2020, 11:49 PM   #1
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)

Garage List
Steering Wheel Channel Select Option?

One pet peeve I have with my 2017 M240i are the audio controls. Is there any solution to install/reflash to have a "channel select" control on the steering wheel. I am a channel surfer and hate having to reach across the dash every time to change to the next song (I usually use USB-loaded songs). Plus, my in-dash channel select button is starting to stick out like it's been used/tweaked a bit too much. I'd sure hate to have to repair that system ($$$??).

Note: My same year Toyota Tacoma has both a touch screen control AND a channel select control on the steering wheel. Nice for both convenience and redundancy as the car ages. I think the Germans could learn from Japanese interior designers.

Any help would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #2
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

You can use the scroll and push to select next song. It's not perfect, but it is on the steering wheel.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #3
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl View Post
You can use the scroll and push to select next song. It's not perfect, but it is on the steering wheel.
True, but I like the random feature on my other car audio systems. Thanks for the answer, tho!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:24 PM   #4
redcars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228xi

What's weird is it doesn't wrap from the last preset back to the first preset. Should be an easy fix. I know the "next" button in the center stack does that. Also strange is that the list of presets on the center screen doesn't scroll with the scroll button on the steering wheel. Only responds to the iDrive wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
KrispyM240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 2015 M4

That has been my biggest gripe since day 1 of owning the car. Honestly, I think I may try to tear that side of the steering wheel apart and switch the wiring from the volume buttons to the scroll wheel. Chances are the I/O will be different on those though so we'll see if it will work but scrolling up or down to raise and lower the volume makes more sense to me
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #6
damianbmw12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240xi & 2004 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrispyM240 View Post
That has been my biggest gripe since day 1 of owning the car. Honestly, I think I may try to tear that side of the steering wheel apart and switch the wiring from the volume buttons to the scroll wheel. Chances are the I/O will be different on those though so we'll see if it will work but scrolling up or down to raise and lower the volume makes more sense to me
Cool idea be curious if you have success.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

It will not work, the buttons are recognized by voltage resistance, they are not physically wired to the head unit.

Not saying this is possible ( don't know ), but you are more likely to succeed in changing their function by coding rather than connecting them elsewhere.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0