THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Hand Tools?

01-24-2020, 02:50 AM   #1
bthomas518
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Hand Tools?

Have been working with my old set of Craftsman (~2005'ish vintage, USA made) ratchet/socket set. It's mediocre, at best.

Also the old Craftsman Pro combo wrenches (similar vintage, word is that they are re-branded Armstrong), these are good!

Just received a Hazet 863S 1/4" drive ratchet from Amazon.de, and cannot believe how much nicer this is than the old Craftsman ratchet. It feels like jewelry, and strong as hell.

Does anyone have experience with Hazet, Stahlwille, Gedore hand tools? And, are they all this nice???!!! Which tools would you prioritize quality over price?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

So Hazet makes the tools for the tool kit for Mercedes, In certain cases when you need thin wrenches they have them. Good quality.
Stahlwille I've seen in good shops but never used them. And Gedore I don't know.

When doing suspension work really good combination wrenches, I find make a difference when working with high torque. Also the bigger the bolts and the higher the torque the higher quality tools can make a difference. Also for really small sockets and tools the higher quality stuff is nicer.

If your going to the track or hauling your tools around to different places Craftsman/Stanley has good stuff. You need to examine the product because the name can be put on junk pieces. Craftsman sockets and ratchets I've never had issues with.

Torque wrenches, if you use them often and do internal engine rebuild then high quality (expensive and a service to calibrate) is a must.

Last edited by overcoil; 01-24-2020 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 1