THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Brake shuddering when hot

06-10-2021, 10:47 PM   #23
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Maybe not applicable to this thread, but I just did a track weekend with some new pads I've never used before, PFC08's. BIR has a huge brake spot in T3 coming down from 110+ to ~40. After the first session, I was getting a huge amount of judder braking for this turn. Not too bad in rest of track, and they were smooth during break-in and street driving. But this one spot it was so bad it was shaking the wheel.

After a few sessions, I mentioned it to a serious track rat, and he told me I just wasn't applying enough pressure in this corner. Compared to my previous Ferodo pads, he said the PFC08 just really needs to be pounded for corners like this. Not babied. He stated the PFC08 lays a thick transfer layer on the disc, and in hot corners, if you don't put enough pressure on, it doesn't scrub enough and will start to judder badly.

So, next session I started beating them. And they got better. Every lap, the judder in T3 reduced and was nearly gone by the end of the day.

Maybe something similar is happening with your pads. Unfortunately, you usually don't have the opportunity to consistently abuse pads on the street in the same way to scrub the transfer layer.
Appreciate 1