THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Car too Fast?

05-14-2020, 11:55 AM   #45
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
When it comes to power, want and need are two different things. I want lots of power, but power for merging doesn't need to be more than gives the same acceleration as a transport truck loaded to it's weight limit if you plan merging and overtaking well in advance.

I've never had any problem driving in Europe and merging on to motorways with 70bhp 1.0 litre rental cars, not that I would choose that car on a regular basis, I'm more inclined to find ways to increase the 400bhp per ton of my current fastest car. Just because.....
My challenge to this is trying to merge with little on-ramp to work with and the common tendency for right-lane drivers not wanting you to merge in front of them. Cars brake a lot faster than they accelerate. Accelerating faster than the speed of traffic makes it easier to take quick advantage of an opportunity to merge before some a-hold decides to snuff you out.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      05-14-2020, 01:23 PM   #46
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

"Too Fast" is too broad of a term to be used for something like this..

"Too Fast for me", maybe?
      05-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #47
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
When it comes to power, want and need are two different things. I want lots of power, but power for merging doesn't need to be more than gives the same acceleration as a transport truck loaded to it's weight limit if you plan merging and overtaking well in advance.

I've never had any problem driving in Europe and merging on to motorways with 70bhp 1.0 litre rental cars, not that I would choose that car on a regular basis, I'm more inclined to find ways to increase the 400bhp per ton of my current fastest car. Just because.....
My challenge to this is trying to merge with little on-ramp to work with and the common tendency for right-lane drivers not wanting you to merge in front of them. Cars brake a lot faster than they accelerate. Accelerating faster than the speed of traffic makes it easier to take quick advantage of an opportunity to merge before some a-hold decides to snuff you out.
Both you and aerobod make great points actually. It is entirely about the specifics of the environment you are dealing with.

For instance, in the land of zipper merges with big ass SUVs and wide open freeways, peppered with highly congested cities, you definitely need a quick accelerating vehicle to help you out in those tights spots.

I am not trying to be uppity when I say that I would find slower vehicles a huge liability and a safety concern. Heck I feel that our "F-sport" (heh!) RX350 is too slow sometimes when it comes to grunt for merging effectively; maybe it is just me but I find myself sweating under the collar on how "slow" it is when I am on a ramp! Has a documented 0-60 of ~7 seconds.

However I must say that I am not a fan of impatience on the road. If some asshole needs to merge in front of me desperately and hold on to that spot, then let him; heck even in a situation like that your little zipper will save your bacon. The point is, you will always be better off in a car that can zip about quickly given our US driving culture.

Ergo, having a *FAST* sporty car, if not a quick sports car, with good handling, braking, and accelerating characteristics is a safety thing! [P.s. to those who need "permissions", Tell that to your wife next time you want to buy a sports car ]
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      05-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #48
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post

However I must say that I am not a fan of impatience on the road. If some asshole needs to merge in front of me desperately and hold on to that spot, then let him;
+1

If someone puts on their signal, i'll almost always lift or lightly tap the brakes (depending on the situation) to let them in. It literally costs you nothing to do a small favor for a fellow human being.
Appreciate 3
BimBimM21486.00
Sportstick4652.50
      05-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #49
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post

No, more like "I need to moderate my right foot better".

How can a car be too fast when you pilot it? The whole premise is bogus.

Sure a car can be "too slow", but you, the pilot, determine the upper limit of what "fast" is given the car you have.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      05-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #50
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
Back in the dot.com era I never had any problem with a 170bhp Pathfinder (sometimes with a tent trailer in tow) driving and merging on the roads in Western US states and Canadian Provinces, even with short ramps. The brakes wouldn't save you on that vehicle, either, the worst of any vehicle I have owned. Just had to drive it like a fully loaded U-Haul cube van, everywhere - not ideal, but not difficult, either.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #51
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Quote:

However I must say that I am not a fan of impatience on the road. If some asshole needs to merge in front of me desperately and hold on to that spot, then let him;
+1

If someone puts on their signal, i'll almost always lift or lightly tap the brakes (depending on the situation) to let them in. It literally costs you nothing to do a small favor for a fellow human being.
@dradernh lives in New England and he can testify how Bostonians SUCK when it comes to patience and consideration on the road haha!

But, really, I sincerely appreciate your good manners on the road!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 01:55 PM   #52
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

There is another aspect to this beyond rate of acceleration. How many have been comfortably driving along, perhaps on a somewhat empty road, devoid of traffic cues, and looked down to realize you were tens of mph over the limit? One aspect of this car is how easily and effortlessly it travels at high speed and can lull one into going "too fast". Yes, that happens with the 4 cylinder engine. No, the answer is not to get a Miata.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 02:01 PM   #53
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
There is another aspect to this beyond rate of acceleration. How many have been comfortably driving along, perhaps on a somewhat empty road, devoid of traffic cues, and looked down to realize you were tens of mph over the limit? One aspect of this car is how easily and effortlessly it travels at high speed and can lull one into going "too fast". Yes, that happens with the 4 cylinder engine. No, the answer is not to get a Miata.
But does that truly happen? Like does one actually forget how fast they were going? One doesn't have to be a track-master to be "in tune" with the car.

I read on these forums all the time "well my car just went to 130!! I had no idea!!" Let me embrace my hypocrisy here as well, I have said that too... but being absolutely honest, it was a bloody lie. I knew exactly what I was doing, and I am sure anyone who has two brain cells to rub together has the capacity, and awareness, to keep tabs on how fast they get, and how quickly they get there.

And if the damn thing is just tooooo fast, and there is lack of right pedal moderation, then come on, grab Bimmercode and set yourself a speed limit haha
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #54
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
But does that truly happen? Like does one actually forget how fast they were going? One doesn't have to be a track-master to be "in tune" with the car.

I read on these forums all the time "well my car just went to 130!! I had no idea!!" Let me embrace my hypocrisy here as well, I have said that too... but being absolutely honest, it was a bloody lie. I knew exactly what I was doing, and I am sure anyone who has two brain cells to rub together has the capacity, and awareness, to keep tabs on how fast they get, and how quickly they get there.

And if the damn thing is just tooooo fast, and there is lack of right pedal moderation, then come on, grab Bimmercode and set yourself a speed limit haha
While I could simply stop at pointing out what an excellent example the above response is of one of my prior posts, I simply don't believe that finding oneself at ~80 on an low-traveled limited-access highway posted at 60 is that uncommon with highly refined vehicles. Yes, one can clearly keep a close eye on speed, but for the humans among us, conversation or careful listening to audio in a car as smooth as this one can lull one into finding themselves at a higher speed than if they were riveted to the speedometer. Claims of infallibility to the contrary are not credible.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #55
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:

While I could simply stop at pointing out what an excellent example the above response is of one of my prior posts, I simply don't believe that finding oneself at ~80 on an low-traveled limited-access highway posted at 60 is that uncommon with highly refined vehicles. Yes, one can clearly keep a close eye on speed, but for the humans among us, conversation or careful listening to audio in a car as smooth as this one can lull one into finding themselves at a higher speed than if they were riveted to the speedometer. Claims of infallibility to the contrary are not credible.
Ah... words of wisdom. Seriously, you rock man! I get it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 02:17 PM   #56
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep

A larger car can insulate you from some of the right lane bullying. Even a Pathfinder (especially with a tent trailer) can make people get out of the way. Here in the lovely PNW, folks have a tendency to stay in the right lane and not move over for the merge lane. So even in cases where an obnoxious moron (who can't possibly have someone in front of them) speeds up as your trying to merge, trying to tuck in behind them just means you've got a line of others right on his/her tail. Traveling at speed gives you more options as to where you can tap your brakes when the gap in traffic suddenly (and not for long) appears.

California is even worse. The PNW is generally a group of clueless drivers with an occasional ahole sprinkled in. California is all 80mph with drivers following 2 inches off of each others' bumpers.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      05-14-2020, 02:25 PM   #57
kayleigh222222
Registered
Rep
Drives: 33fi 6mt

It’s all ways to fast for you

Quote:

That’s way to sweet there Dylan by the way I really miss seeing you how’s Veronica doing there Dylan I deeply sincerely apologize for asking any questions even though Iam not supposed to talk to you happy trails
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 02:38 PM   #58
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh222222 View Post
Quote:

That's way to sweet there Dylan by the way I really miss seeing you how's Veronica doing there Dylan I deeply sincerely apologize for asking any questions even though Iam not supposed to talk to you happy trails
@Dylan86

Damn Dylan, who is Kayleigh? she misses you bro.

Edit: this thread keeps on getting better and better.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      05-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #59
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
@dradernh lives in New England and he can testify how Bostonians SUCK when it comes to patience and consideration on the road haha!

But, really, I sincerely appreciate your good manners on the road!
1) Lived in New England.

2) Boston drivers and roads have taken more than their share of unwarranted abuse over the years. My first time there I thought "Huh, it's just like the Bay Area. Big deal!"

I now live in a region where people frequently give up their right of way with no prompting from other drivers. I don't care for the practice, but I do appreciate the sentiment.
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      05-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #60
c-m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

If you thinks it’s too fast stock, you should give mine a go. Might shat your pants. 😂
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #61
kayleigh222222
Registered
Rep

Unhappy

Quote:
@Dylan86

I agree I hope Dylan can respond to my message and not ignore my message I don’t whant him to get me into deep trouble from my job I really miss Dylan a lot I just wish Dylan could respond to my message 😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      05-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #62
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh222222 View Post
Quote:
@Dylan86

I agree I hope Dylan can respond to my message and not ignore my message I don't whant him to get me into deep trouble from my job I really miss Dylan a lot I just wish Dylan could respond to my message 😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔
Kayleigh, as you know, the secret to success in love and life is persistence and perseverance. I admire your spirit in seeking out your beloved Dylan on a car forum. Keep on at it, and eventually it will melt his heart

We are all friends here, feel free to talk to us about what's happening between you and Dylan. Sometimes strangers are the best soundboards.

Also Dylan please don't get Kayleigh in trouble with her job, okay? That's not nice. She adores you.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 08:22 PM   #63
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post
What part of California have you visited? I wish more people would go 80 MPH or hell at least the speed limit of 65 MPH. I constantly pass up way too many people consistently driving the speed that I have to check my spedometer thinking I'm already doing 75+ MPH. This has been thing for years now and NOT during rush hours but anyway or time of the week and in every lane, you know can find large commercial trucks and busses and people doing 45-55 MPH in every lane for no good reason....male, female, old or young....
I grew up in the Bay Area, but had family in LA. Rush hours brings everything to a standstill. But, off hours are insanity.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      05-15-2020, 10:18 AM   #64
kayleigh222222
Registered
Rep

Unhappy Dylan slonetsky

Quote:
Kayleigh, as you know, the secret to success in love and life is persistence and perseverance. I admire your spirit in seeking out your beloved Dylan on a car forum. Keep on at it, and eventually it will melt his heart

We are all friends here, feel free to talk to us about what's happening between you and Dylan. Sometimes strangers are the best soundboards.

Also Dylan please don't get Kayleigh in trouble with her job, okay? That's not nice. She adores you.
Thanks 🙏 but Iam not in love with Dylan he’s just a friend I wish he could talk to me Iam trying my best to not message him as much I hope he’s. Not upset at me and doesn’t like me any more Iam very very very very nervous he whont get back to my messages at all and Dylan has a very black car very sporty and way to cool 😎 :
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #65
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

Where the hell is Doctor Phil when you need him? At any rate back to the original thread. This really boils down to a psychological conundrum. Here's why. With the pandemic I find people are driving way too fast. In the short 1.5 mile stretch of highway I travel on the one day a week obligatory visit to the office cars are flying past me. I forget, let my BMW ego take charge, and the next thing I know I am hearing my car's 80 mph sound alert. Not too bright, car too fast...now I get it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:34 PM   #66
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Where the hell is Doctor Phil when you need him? At any rate back to the original thread. This really boils down to a psychological conundrum. Here's why. With the pandemic I find people are driving way too fast. In the short 1.5 mile stretch of highway I travel on the one day a week obligatory visit to the office cars are flying past me. I forget, let my BMW ego take charge, and the next thing I know I am hearing my car's 80 mph sound alert. Not too bright, car too fast...now I get it.
BMW ego hahaha
Attached Images

Appreciate 0