THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Sold the car, moving on. Maybe useful pricing info

10-03-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
PDXF22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i

Sold the car, moving on. Maybe useful pricing info

Well, it was finally time to let the M235 go. I just was never in love it and it never did any one good thing perfectly, but rather was okay a lot of things.

Few reasons I sold:

The seat was just never comfortable to me. After about an hour, I would start getting pain in my lower thigh. I tried every combination of adjustment and it just never worked. I love long drives so this was really an issue for me.

I did autocross and track days in the car and it was pretty underwhelming. For autocross, there was no chance for the car in B Stock. On track, without allowance for better camber and skinny front tires, it just wasn't a reassuring car. I was quick in it, but it killed front tires. Sure all of this has a possible fix, but I didn't want to mod a brand new car. It also irked me that the only way to get decent tires would have been yet another set of wheels sitting in my garage. Brakes also were some of the worst I've felt on a BMW.

Steering and suspension just didn't work great for me. The car just felt floaty to me always. In Sport (suspension) it was still just floaty but added bouncy. Steering really is vague. The car is not the easiest to place on the correct entrance/apex without actually watching the whole way rather than looking down the track for the next placement and feeling location through the wheel.

I loved the ZF8 at all but cruising in stop and go. There just always seemed be a disconnect between the throttle mapping and upshift/downshift that made it actually a bit hurky jerky. I really should have bought a manual.

That said, I took the car to Carmax and sold it. Here are the details:
  • 2016 M235i Coupe
  • ZF8 Auto
  • Estoril Blue
  • Just under 10k miles
  • Loaded. Nav, HK, Parking Sensors, Moonroof, Cold-weather, etc. Only thing it didn't have radar cruise package (whatever it was called)
  • Perfect. It literally just sat in my garage 99% of the time. No dents, scratches, greasy fingerprints on the interior, floor mats still in the plastic. Seriously, you could not have found a cleaner car.

- MSRP, which I paid a little under Aug 2016, was ~$52k I believe.
- Their offer: $29k even
- So the car (to me) lost ~900/month in depreciation, which doesn't include my own cost of ownership.

Overall, it really was a good car. I did enjoy washing it and then going out for a nice weekend drive or out to dinner. It NEVER had a fault or issue beyond a small interior rattle and the BMW dealer/service was really great. I loved having it, but I'm happy to see it go and free up my garage for something else and continue on my project cars.

See ya later 2-Addicts!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXF22 View Post
Well, it was finally time to let the M235 go. I just was never in love it and it never did any one good thing perfectly, but rather was okay a lot of things.

Few reasons I sold:

The seat was just never comfortable to me. After about an hour, I would start getting pain in my lower thigh. I tried every combination of adjustment and it just never worked. I love long drives so this was really an issue for me.

I did autocross and track days in the car and it was pretty underwhelming. For autocross, there was no chance for the car in B Stock. On track, without allowance for better camber and skinny front tires, it just wasn't a reassuring car. I was quick in it, but it killed front tires. Sure all of this has a possible fix, but I didn't want to mod a brand new car. It also irked me that the only way to get decent tires would have been yet another set of wheels sitting in my garage. Brakes also were some of the worst I've felt on a BMW.

Steering and suspension just didn't work great for me. The car just felt floaty to me always. In Sport (suspension) it was still just floaty but added bouncy. Steering really is vague. The car is not the easiest to place on the correct entrance/apex without actually watching the whole way rather than looking down the track for the next placement and feeling location through the wheel.

I loved the ZF8 at all but cruising in stop and go. There just always seemed be a disconnect between the throttle mapping and upshift/downshift that made it actually a bit hurky jerky. I really should have bought a manual.

• 2016 M235i Coupe
  • ZF8 Auto
  • Estoril Blue
  • Just under 10k miles
  • Loaded. Nav, HK, Parking Sensors, Moonroof, Cold-weather, etc. Only thing it didn't have radar cruise package (whatever it was called)
  • Perfect. It literally just sat in my garage 99% of the time. No dents, scratches, greasy fingerprints on the interior, floor mats still in the plastic. Seriously, you could not have found a cleaner car.

- So the car (to me) lost ~900/month in depreciation, which doesn't include my own cost of ownership.

Overall, it really was a good car. I did enjoy washing it and then going out for a nice weekend drive or out to dinner. It NEVER had a fault or issue beyond a small interior rattle and the BMW dealer/service was really great. I loved having it, but I'm happy to see it go and free up my garage for something else and continue on my project cars.

See ya later 2-Addicts!
Wow, 2 years old and loaded with 10k and you only got $29k? Did you try selling private first? What did you get to replace it?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
PDXF22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Wow, 2 years old and loaded with 10k and you only got $29k? Did you try selling private first? What did you get to replace it?
Yeah, that's the lovely BMW depreciation for ya.

I did try to sell locally. Had a local ad up for a month for 32k and not a single reply. I'm fortunate to be in a place where I could sell, cover the slight difference and move on so it was worth to just have it over and done with.

My GF and I have a 3 other cars (her 2018 Rav 4 Hybrid, my 2002 Honda Odyssey, my project 97 civic for the track plus my 2006 Vespa 250 GTS) so I'm covered for fun and basic transportation.

At this point, I'm going to wait til spring to start looking again but in no hurry. Few random contenders are:
  • Cayman S
  • Used 911 (997)
  • Civic Type R
  • New Supra (if offered in manual)
  • Possible new Alfa Giulietta (if offered in manual, unlikely)
  • New Miata
  • Fiesta ST
  • Tacoma / Used FJ40
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Man $29kUS sounds low, especially with only 10k miles. I recently sold my 2016 235 (mint) with around 35k miles for ~32kCAD...I bet you could've scored more like $35kUS....
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
PDXF22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Man $29kUS sounds low, especially with only 10k miles. I recently sold my 2016 235 (mint) with around 35k miles for ~32kCAD...I bet you could've scored more like $35kUS....
You're not wrong. I probably could have. It wasn't killing me to keep it and drive it here and there but it was losing money on top of the insurance each month so I felt it was best for me mentally to just accept my loss and move on. It's the feeling when you know a relationship or job is over but not out of your life yet. I was mentally over it and unhappy with it. Life is too short to keep stuff you're not using.
Appreciate 2
drexplode1779.00
BMWZ41906.50
      10-04-2018, 01:49 AM   #6
itsbeenfunmike
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
You're not wrong. I probably could have. It wasn't killing me to keep it and drive it here and there but it was losing money on top of the insurance each month so I felt it was best for me mentally to just accept my loss and move on. It's the feeling when you know a relationship or job is over but not out of your life yet. I was mentally over it and unhappy with it. Life is too short to keep stuff you're not using.
You’re not wrong about the last part. I sold my beloved Ducati Panigale 3 years in after I started school again, I just didn’t have time to enjoy her.

A few months later I picked up a 2016 fully loaded m235 with a little over 14k miles for 29k USD. All the accessories were still in plastic in the trunk, the car still smelled new. I found the windshield sticker from when the car was delivered and total the car cost 56k. I’m happily enjoying the car now. So I am sure someone will be ecstatic to own yours and put it to good use.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 05:43 AM   #7
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Sounds like yet another unhappy customer - and poor value retention, too. I have to wonder how BMW is still in business in the USA - they never used to make cars that left people sounding so... depressed!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #8
Rockstar1487
Tarnished One
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:

Few reasons I sold:

• 2016 M235i Coupe
  • ZF8 Auto
  • Estoril Blue
  • Just under 10k miles

See ya later 2-Addicts!
At least you got something back. I was trying to trade in my 17 M240 to get an M2 and ended up keeping it just because the value was killing me. I had the car for less than a year, probably 5 months, and the trade in I was given was 32k for less than 7k miles! Then I waited another 5 months, tried again, and they told me 26k! Again less than 15k miles! So I ended up doing a lot of work to make it as close to what I wanted the car to feel like. Luckily I'm at a good point with it now that I do love it but I remember the days of getting in it just completely unhappy and just saying how much I hated the car. Now Im just trying to buy an M2 and keep both cars hahaha.

Retired: 05 MB 330i, 08 CS 135i, 17 EB M240i, 13 CB 135is, 16 ABM M4
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2018, 12:52 AM   #9
m3buckeye
will bring some beers
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots

1. buy it new if you want to keep it forever, eat the depreciation and hope for the best on longevity, repairs, etc. out of warranty;

2. lease it new with nothing down if you are going to keep if for three years, only pay the depreciation and always be driving something sort of new; or

3. buy it clean 3 years old and used, preferably CPO, and let someone else eat the depreciation.
Appreciate 2
      10-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #10
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3buckeye View Post
3. buy it clean 3 years old and used, preferably CPO, and let someone else eat the depreciation.

Ding, ding, ding! It is amazing how much you can save by buying 3-year old BMWs. The model that best demonstrates this is typically an M6. Here is a 2014 M6 convertible with 13.5k miles, clear title, every option including B&O sound system, for $53,000 Buy It Now. This was probably a $130,000 car when new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-BMW-M6...8:pf:0&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #11
dsmclone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
Ding, ding, ding! It is amazing how much you can save by buying 3-year old BMWs. The model that best demonstrates this is typically an M6. Here is a 2014 M6 convertible with 13.5k miles, clear title, every option including B&O sound system, for $53,000 Buy It Now. This was probably a $130,000 car when new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-BMW-M6...8:pf:0&vxp=mtr
Stop with this crazy talk. I love people that buy/lease new and then pick up their leftovers for 1/2 price.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #12
JohnWalk22
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Oh, it's a lot of the truth. All that you described in principle is in fact. Here I want to deliver my car to my friend from Latvia. And stumbled upon this article from the Internet. It seems to describe in detail everything about the delivery, but I do not know if it can be guided by. Say what you think about it. I am interested to know your opinion. And recommend a good delivery agent.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #13
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 240i

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
I am new to BMW

My hobby all my long life is buying new vehicles and selling for less. Sometimes a lot less. So I am done with BMW BIKES AND HAVE MOVED TO CARS. They are nice. My first is a 2016 m235i and it’s fun to drive and Me like it good. But was thinking maybe I’ll upgrade to a 240 or M2. Wow that is expensive to do. This car is just like new with 28k miles and I can’t find a thing wrong with it. Engine looks new on top and from underneath the car. No drips no marks in paint, and no payment. So I decided I am good for now and when I do get the itch I will go with someone’s lease turn in again. I don’t see how you go wrong with that plan. I did check on a trade in and was offered 4K less than I paid. In the bmw world that ain’t bad. Just my thoughts feel free to comment and tell me your words.
Hap
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #14
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

thanks and my experience

Quote:

Few reasons I sold:

• 2016 M235i Coupe
  • ZF8 Auto
  • Estoril Blue
  • Just under 10k miles

See ya later 2-Addicts!
Thanks for your story and the data.

I sold my 2016 M235i in May 2019 for the same price in a private sale. My car was had fewer options than yours and was purchased in April 2016. Also had around 20K miles. My car was very clean though probably not as pristine as yours.

My depreciation worked out to roughly $486 per month. The dealer's trade-in offer was <$20K! Most of my cars have sunroof delete and that seems to turn away many buyers.
Appreciate 0