THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes ECS "Exact Fit" stainless steel brake lines; metal grommet/bracket misaligned

04-24-2020, 03:08 AM   #1
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i xdrive

ECS "Exact Fit" stainless steel brake lines; metal grommet/bracket misaligned

i'm getting ready to change brake pads and lines, then change and flush brake fluid. i finally got the rest of my parts from ECS Tuning this afternoon. i ordered the ECS Exact Fit stainless steel lines (Front ES#3525713; Rear ES#3525717) for my 2016 M235 XDrive coupe.

However, when i examined the front set of brake lines, i noticed that the metal grommet/connector that is held in place to the bracket on the strut by a retaining clip is not at the same distance on both lines. i've annotated the photo so it's easy to see when you look at the two lines side by side.

i then measured this distance on the original lines that are still installed on my car. on the original lines, the metal grommet is roughly at 10.25 inches from the nut on the caliper end. the second line (bottom one in the photo) is at the correct distance. but the first one (on top) is measured about 12.5 inches from the caliper end. that's two inches farther compared to the original line! while it likely could be installed/affixed, i'm not sure if there will not be enough length on the brake line to reach the hard brake line or whether there will be too much tension on the line when turning the wheel etc.

i see that the chain of rubber circles (not sure what else to call it) can actually slide along the brake line. however, the metal connector seems pretty fixed in place. without trying to hard for fear of damage the line, i tried to slide/wiggle it closer to the 10.25" distance that i measured on the original line. however, it does not move. i'm not sure if the metal is crimped onto the brake line itself or affixed to it in some other manner. there are also these plastic tubing sleeves as well on either side of it as well.

anyone have any experience or encountered such a problem with lines? should i be able to slide the metal portion closer to the right length/distance (i'm afraid of damaging/altering the line, which in this case could be catastrophic)? should i just be able to install it as is? should i return/exchange the lines with ECS?

i've gotten my car prepped on jack stands and had the old pads removed already in anticipation of working on the car this weekend, but obviously this issue will set me back if i have to return/exchange with ECS.
Attached Images

Last edited by vexingv; 04-24-2020 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

i contacted ECS this morning and explained the issue. ECS offered to exchange it. the line is actually now out of stock, so i'm looking at a different set entirely (particularly as this issue hasn't instilled much confidence in me regarding the quality control/inspection of their product). i'll install my new pads for now. but i'll bleed/flush the system once i get a new set of lines installed.

in regards to stainless steel lines, any recommendations? The ones that i see for sale are StopTech, Goodridge, Turner Motorsports, and ECS. The Turner and ECS ones look pretty similar (and i was told that StopTech actually is the company that make the ECS lines).
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexingv View Post
in regards to stainless steel lines, any recommendations?
I generally start with Bimmerworld: https://www.bimmerworld.com/ssearch....2526$2520Lines.

HP Autosport supports this site and can likely help you, too: https://hpautosport.com/.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #4
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I generally start with Bimmerworld: https://www.bimmerworld.com/ssearch....2526$2520Lines.

HP Autosport supports this site and can likely help you, too: https://hpautosport.com/.
Thanks. I did not consider Bimmerworld either.

Brands like ECS, Turner, or Bimmerworld must be having some other manufacturer fabricate their lines as i doubt they have the capability to do so themselves. I wonder who are the primary makers of their lines. The other problem is looking at the parts at each manufacturer's site (eg. Goodridge or Stoptech or Powerstop), a stock photo is usually used as a placeholder for the item so it can be hard to tell exactly what they look like. In particular, i would be looking for stainless lines that have some protective sheath over the stainless steel braid to help minimize corrosion or other damage.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexingv View Post
Thanks. I did not consider Bimmerworld either.

Brands like ECS, Turner, or Bimmerworld must be having some other manufacturer fabricate their lines as i doubt they have the capability to do so themselves. I wonder who are the primary makers of their lines. The other problem is looking at the parts at each manufacturer's site (eg. Goodridge or Stoptech or Powerstop), a stock photo is usually used as a placeholder for the item so it can be hard to tell exactly what they look like. In particular, i would be looking for stainless lines that have some protective sheath over the stainless steel braid to help minimize corrosion or other damage.
What makes Bimmerworld useful is that they've done and seen it all, and they give straightforward, honest advice.

I don't think it's particularly difficult to manufacture them, but it probably makes little sense for the resellers to do so.

I've seen lines protected with clear plastic sheathing. If whatever you end up with doesn't have something like that, you may be able to apply it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I used the Stoptech SS Braided lines, no issues to report. They look more like a Goodridge line than these ECS pieces..
      04-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #7
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I also used Stoptech - DOT and TUV, they pressure test each set. Definitely get one that has a sheath/coating. https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=1467
Appreciate 0