THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack putting up the car for winter

11-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #1
GAD1
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 230i

putting up the car for winter

I plan on keeping my 2020 230i with run flat tires in the garage under a car cover during the winter months here in upstate NY taking it out on the occasional winter day we have no snow to keep the tires from flat spotting and run the engine hopefully on a monthly basis. Does anyone have any suggestions on this procedure?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I've heard it suggested to put extra air in the tires, and to not worry so much about flat spotting b/c they un-spot once you start driving again (if only sitting for a season). They do sell rounded 'cup' pads you can park on specifically for this purpose. Mixed reviews on if you need a battery tender, but get a good one if you use one. Biggest concern is keeping mice out, especially if it isn't in your home garage. I'd also email Mike Miller about the fuel situation - I DK if better to just leave a gallon or so, or a full tank, and whether these new computer cars can tolerate Stabil. Looks like you are just around the corner from me, so feel free to PM me if you want to catch up for a drive once nicer weather hits.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

There r quite a few post on this subject

Consumer Reports just had an article on this which mentioned;

Fresh oil & filter

Battery tender

And since rodents like dark places, keep your hood open. And use repellent or moth balls in stockings to prevent rodents from chewing on wiring harness and nesting.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I have done this numerous times and consulted many experts on procedures. Path of least resistance is:

1. Battery tender that you can wire to the front charging points in engine bay, get the official BMW one because if you have a warranty battery repair they cannot give you a hard time about the tender.
2. Flatstopper ramps from Race Ramps. You do not need to over-inflate tires, doing so provides no additional benefit.
3. Box of Bounce sheets in car to deter rodents, they don't like the smell for whatever reason and stay away.

Otherwise unless the car is clean do not put the cover back on after driving, will do more harm than good.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
GAD1
Rep

Great Ideas fellow BMWers. Maynard just took a nice drive on the back roads around here today and it was therapeutic. Top up of course. Couldn't figure out why with the seat and heater on I was feeling some cool air on my face until I realized the center wheel was on the cool side then adjusted it to warm. Very comfortable in 40 degree weather. If we have more days like today I just may be driving more than I think!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:47 PM   #6
GAD1
Rep

Does having the stop/start feature on my vehicle require a certain battery tender. Currently am looking at a CTEK brand 56-958.
Appreciate 0