THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Best upgrade for stock halogen headlights?

11-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
Anomalychick
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Xdrive Convertible

Best upgrade for stock halogen headlights?

I have a 2016 228i convertible with the normal basic headlights. They're halogens, and I did ask at a lighting shop and they said they have no projectors.

I HATE them. First off theyre ugly, and secondly its very depressing when im driving at night and the headlights of the car behind me are doing a better job illuminating the road infront of me than my headlights are! On top of this I'm already half blind. So I know I need to do something, but im not sure what...

I am not mechanically inclined, and I am terrified of either voiding the warranty or inducing electrical issues on a nearly new 50K car that's known for them. I did seek the help of the only shop in town, but they didn't seem to be knowledgeable about the car at all, and were acting like putting in either haloes or projectors was a huge complicated ordeal. They just wanted to sell me their basic HID bulbs, it seems it was the only light upgrade they do, although they did tell me it wouldn't work that great without projectors, which I got the feeling they didn't want to put in either...

I did ask about retrofitting the OEM kit, per forums the installation is extremely difficult and requires disassembling the front end, removing body panels, splicing wires, etc. The dealership says its impossible to install the OEM kit and this shop says its 3k and they'll do it, but they didn't seem to understand what was involved nor did they have any experience whatsoever doing this kind of thing so id be hesitant to have them touch the car in the first place...

What is the simplest least invasive way to get decent headlights on this car? Like, if I just wanted something that was basically a different bulb (hid or led) requiring no modification that will work with my light housing assembly what should I do?
And assuming I'm willing to spend money to get "the best", is there a good aftermarket light upgrade kit preferably with haloes/xenon (hopefully one considered better than the BMW bixenon) that is a reasonable option as far as installation difficulty goes?

Last edited by Anomalychick; 11-16-2018 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
liebetrau88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

First thing I would look into is getting them aimed properly. BMW is notorious for having them aimed too low. Mine were that way(xenons) and I adjusted them, it's a night and day difference. Pun intended.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Back in the 90's before HID's came out, Sylvania SilverStar bulbs were a popular replacement bulb for brighter and whiter lights. I swapped out all my cars with them and they did make a difference.

It's only a $44 upgrade and well worth it: https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Silv...=silverstar+h7
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebetrau88 View Post
First thing I would look into is getting them aimed properly. BMW is notorious for having them aimed too low. Mine were that way(xenons) and I adjusted them, it's a night and day difference. Pun intended.
How you adjust them? ... I have the same problem as the OP.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
liebetrau88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:37 PM   #6
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Back in the 90's before HID's came out, Sylvania SilverStar bulbs were a popular replacement bulb for brighter and whiter lights. I swapped out all my cars with them and they did make a difference.

It's only a $44 upgrade and well worth it: https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Silv...=silverstar+h7
Did you replaced the low beams only or both?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #7
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paposalsa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post

Did you replaced the low beams only or both?
I have the OEM HID's so I don't know how they are for BMW's. I was mentioning about my past cars that I did use them on in the 90's before HID was actually a thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi

Best upgrade for stock halogen headlights?

Prior to getting my M235 I had a 2008 E90 with halogens. Dreadful when I got it, but 2 changes made a world of difference: Properly adjusting the headlights and dropping in some Philips Extreme Vision +130s. Those H7's were stock wattage but significantly brighter. I have an extra set unopened that I believe will fit the 2-series. If anyone wants them, they can have 'em for the price of postage by sending me a PM. I'd be happy to clear my workbench.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 05:51 AM   #9
Heinz Lämmel
Registered
Rep
Drives: M240

Check that the setting is not too low and change to better light bulbs
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 11:18 AM   #10
Jake_b
Registered
Rep
Drives: 220i

So my 220i came with them horrible halgoen headlights. I’m wondering if I can just buy oem led headlight housing and bulbs and just swap it out.
Appreciate 0