THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack TPMS question

11-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

TPMS question

Hi all I just purchased a beautiful 2015 M235I. The week end i got it home i was looking for wheels to mount up a set of winter tires. i came across a complete set of 2006 7 series wheels with the tpms sensors and winter tires for $125. So i did as much research as I could prior to going to pick them up. I knew the tires wouldn't work being 245/50R18 but the wheels where all 8x18. Now from what i read there was a change sometime around 2006 with the type of sensor rubber valve stem vrs metal valve stems the newer style being the metal valve stem which these wheels have and from everything i can find it appears that the 2006 BMW and my 2015 use the same sensor. Can anyone confirm this or have first hand exp. I am completely new to BMW's and have been driving Honda's for the past 25 plus years and with hondas sensors had to be coded with a tool and from what I have read this is not the case with BMW?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcmtnbkr View Post
...from everything i can find it appears that the 2006 BMW and my 2015 use the same sensor. Can anyone confirm this or have first hand exp. I am completely new to BMW's and have been driving Honda's for the past 25 plus years and with hondas sensors had to be coded with a tool and from what I have read this is not the case with BMW?
Your M235i uses a sensor with the (partial) part number shown in the red box in the image below. What part number do your sensors have?

This site is a common means of getting BMW part number information: https://www.realoem.com/. FWIW, realoem shows that a 2006 7 Series and a 2015 2 Series use different TPMS sensors.

AFAIK, our cars don't need the TPMS to be coded. There are likely other forum members who know for sure.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Your M235i uses a sensor with the (partial) part number shown in the red box in the image below. What part number do your sensors have?

This site is a common means of getting BMW part number information: https://www.realoem.com/. FWIW, realoem shows that a 2006 7 Series and a 2015 2 Series use different TPMS sensors.

AFAIK, our cars don't need the TPMS to be coded. There are likely other forum members who know for sure.

thanks for the information I am unsure what sensor it is since the tires are mounted on the rims. will see if they can tell the type when i have them scanned. i appreciate the link i have a lot of research to do to get up to speed on all the systems in these cars. I am blown away at the amount of technology in these cars
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

More important is verifying that the offsets on those wheels are going to work. No idea what the 7 series uses, but IIRC there are a lot of odd offsets that interfere w/ swapping wheels as easily as you'd like. The TPMS just need to run a reset when you've swapped sensors via dash menu, no code device needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
More important is verifying that the offsets on those wheels are going to work. No idea what the 7 series uses, but IIRC there are a lot of odd offsets that interfere w/ swapping wheels as easily as you'd like. The TPMS just need to run a reset when you've swapped sensors via dash menu, no code device needed.
They are all 8x18 and 35mm offset
Appreciate 0