THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning EXCESSSSIVE! Blow-By After BootMod3B

12-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #1
jandr018
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i

EXCESSSSIVE! Blow-By After BootMod3B

So, six months ago, June 11th, 2019 I installed the Mishimoto catch-can on my N20 engine (2014 228i).
For those 6 months I drove about ~5,000-6,000 miles with the can and caught absolutely NOTHING!!! During that time. Whenever I would check it, it was completely empty (maybe a small drop), smelled of gasoline, and right after driving would have vapors trapped inside it.

So, December 16, 2019, Monday, I changed the oil with BMW’s 5w30 TwinTurbo Power crap. (this is the oil I was running before)
Friday, December 20th, push the BootMod3 93-octane stage 1 tune
And Saturday December 21st, installed the evolution racewerks catted downpipe. While installing the downpipe, checked the catch-can again, and was still completely empty, except for a tiny tiny drip hiding around the center drain plug that could only be seen by tilting the can.

Fast forward to today, four days after flashing the BM3 tune, I checked the catch-can and there is considerable amount of oil caught in the can for just about THREE days of driving.

The car has been driving fine. Haven’t noticed anything “telling” or concerning. I’ve also have not been driving the car hard; primarily due to all the traffic around the holidays and that fact that I live in Miami.

Anyone have any insight or some information in why after six months of having my catch can and ~6k miles, the catch-can all of a sudden start working with a BM3 tune and less than 100 miles?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 11:58 PM   #2
jandr018
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i

working on updates. cleaned catch-can with garden hose and paper towel and drove today solely in comfort mode. so far bone dry but only drove 20 miles.

i'll keep you guys updated. there is some stuff i want to test out first before posting.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 05:07 AM   #3
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

I also have a Mishimoto Catch Can and recently installed BM3, but I haven't checked it yet.

While my car was stock, I would find oil in the catch can only after doing a track day, otherwise it would be empty. Observed this over 10.000km since I have it installed.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
kthor703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

There is usually more build up in the Winter. More moisture than oil. This is based on my experience from other turbo cars. How cold has it been?

Also, more cylinder pressure from the tune will cause more blow-by, so it is to be expected somewhat. Just keep an eye on it the next few weeks and see if anything else pops out.
Appreciate 0