THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M2 Exhaust on M240i

03-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #23
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Great work , I would also be interested in that diffuser if you decide to make more!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 02:14 AM   #24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

Did you remove the 2 resonators as well ?

I just picked up my car last sat. first thing i wanna do is quad exhuast !! Such a shame it doesnt come with it
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #25
knoteasy25
Private
Rep
Drives: m235 white manual

amazing work

any further progress on the m2/m235i rear diffuser mash up, as a part for sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddy1 View Post
I recently picked up and M2 exhaust to install on my M240i. I kind of took a gamble because I was unaware of anyone else doing this and I was not sure exactly how it was going to fit. I figured that no matter what I would end up with a quad tip exhaust which is what I think this car really should have.

I was hoping I could cut the pipe where one would cut for an M performance muffler. I tried that and it was not even close. I realized that the M2 pipe is quite a bit different and more direct than the M240 pipe.They end up coming together at roughly the same spot forward of the resonator. The resonator on the M240 is almost twice the size of the one on the M2, which I believe is the same as the M235.

Here is a picture of the M2 exhaust on top of the M240:

As you can see the M2 pipe is quite a bit straighter. The M2 muffler is also quite a bit narrower. After working through this I realized that the brackets that support the mufflers have different part numbers and are different.

The M240 bracket is on the top and the M235/M2 bracket is on the bottom. Unfortunately I had to purchase these new from the dealer and even with a discount they were $45 each. But once I got these brackets everything lined up nicely.

Part #'s:

Right 18307620317
Left 18307620316

I welded everything back together where I had cut it initially and then welded it in place in front of the resonator.

It was quite a bit of work but I managed to combine and M2 rear diffuser with an M240 diffuser. I am considering this my first prototype on this because it did not turn out quite as nicely as I had hoped. It looks really good but does not fit quite right in the middle where is snaps in place.

Also to make everything fit I had to fabricate a simple right angle bracket between the heat shield and the new diffuser to support the diffuser in the middle.

I would say the sound is roughly 20 to 30% louder and deeper than stock. In comfort mode it sounds quite similar to the 240 but a little bit louder. In sport mode it is quite a bit louder and there is lots of burbling on deceleration and down shifts. I would say it sounds closer to an M2 than an M240 now.

At idle it is quite a bit deeper and richer sounding.

If anyone else wants to do this I can certainly offer some advice. You would need to get the brackets and have somebody weld it together up in front of the resonator. I would not just clamp it there because the pipe is not supported in either direction for quite a distance.

There may also be some other quad tip diffusers out there that you could buy off-the-shelf and would fit. Perhaps someone will manufacture one.

After I make my next diffuser I may look at bringing it to a friend of mine who could make some molds of it out of carbon fiber.

I also think I picked up a little power with this as well. I have snapped of a 3.8 0-60 time with it. I did not have the laptimer app working before so I have no direct comparison.

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/6POMUR78UKU

Pat
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #26
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoteasy25 View Post
any further progress on the m2/m235i rear diffuser mash up, as a part for sale?
Nope, I made one so far and have no plans to reproduce or sell any.

Pat
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #27
POMFKIMOCHI
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT/RWD EBII

How did you end up liking the mod? I'm currently trying to debate between picking up a pretty new oem m2 exhaust for less than 400 cad, or an awe catback for less than 800 cad. I already have a catless dp and bm3
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #28
POMFKIMOCHI
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT/RWD EBII

I ended up getting the M2 exhaust! Has anyone done this since on their m240s? I've only seen your vid
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:16 PM   #29
speedyroche
Registered
Rep
Drives: M240i

That sounds really awesome!
Appreciate 0