THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Thoughts from a 2200+ mile road trip

03-02-2018, 12:45 AM   #1
DUSTOFF 46
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Thoughts from a 2200+ mile road trip

Although I don't post often, I have found plenty of good info on this forum over the past couple years of ownership and thought I'd share some topics of discussion that came up over the course of my recent move from Texas to Oregon in my 2014 M235i.

1. Overall very satisfied with the car in terms of spending long hours on the road for multiple days in a row. I know the seats aren't the most luxurious things in the world of cars, but I was able to stay comfortable with just periodic adjustments to the seat position and maintain decent posture. It probably also helps that last time I drove across the country was in my late great-grandfather's '95 Pontiac Bonneville so the amenities of dual climate, bluetooth, etc. made this time more enjoyable. Nice to have the seat/mirror position memory for driver swaps too.

2. Glad I decided to fit winter tires before leaving instead of after arriving, as even driving across NM and AZ temps were often below 40F and in heavy rain. Very happy with the Michelin Alpin PA4 so far, although I haven't had to use them yet in any real snow/ice. Pretty smooth and quiet on the wet or dry cold roads, but I think they did reduce gas mileage slightly compared to the PSS I am used to.

3. After setting tire pressure at 37 all around by the gauge on the air pump, my handheld gauge (cheap pocket/pen style you keep in the glove box) showed 35, and the car computer (after reset) showed 33. Not sure what to make of that.

4. I'm pretty suspicious of the brake-pad wear sensor system. I know it's supposed to take into account driving style and a long highway drive like this wouldn't 'use' much, but it's been reporting 3200 miles remaining for at least 5000 miles now...

5. The central display and audio system rebooted randomly at one point; second or third time it's done that in about a year, hoping this is not a sign of some untraceable electrical problem that will hit hard right after the warranty is up
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

nice report. there's some indication that the dash can reboot in specific locations, possibly something about the nav. there are some upgrades to the dash software also, plus a current recall on some models.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTOFF 46 View Post
3. After setting tire pressure at 37 all around by the gauge on the air pump, my handheld gauge (cheap pocket/pen style you keep in the glove box) showed 35, and the car computer (after reset) showed 33. Not sure what to make of that.
Ha! I have a similar issue. I have an air compressor which I use to fill my tires. The gauge on that I know reads high (TPMS comes on at anything under about 35 psi by that gauge!). I also have a pen style and a round dial with a bleeder (those two actually read pretty close to each other). Usually the TPMS will read a PSI or two below what those gauges tell me.

I don't trust pressure gauges for any kind of accuracy, just precision. I worry more about keeping the tires side-to-side the same pressure and the differential front to rear within what the manual calls for than I do about the specific PSI (since I don't know which gauge to trust). Besides, at 1 psi / 10 deg F, I'd have to be out twice a day to keep my tires at the specified PSI...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:

I've had the same two or so PSI discrepancy between my gauges ,which I know are accurate, and the computer. I think this is intentional on BMW's part to make sure we owners over inflate the tries rather than under inflate them if we use the i drive measurement.A German nanny.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:

4. I'm pretty suspicious of the brake-pad wear sensor system. I know it's supposed to take into account driving style and a long highway drive like this wouldn't 'use' much, but it's been reporting 3200 miles remaining for at least 5000 miles now...
The sensor only goes off when it wears down and the sensor makes contact with the rotor....

The number of miles is just the computer guesstimating....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I find computer PSI pretty accurate. Cheap gauges never worked for me, I use one at new pump next to my home and its accurate as well

My brake wear sensor is also stuck at 3200 for past several thousand miles. I feel like its waiting for free maintenance to expire.....seriously lol
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
DUSTOFF 46
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeffries View Post
nice report. there's some indication that the dash can reboot in specific locations, possibly something about the nav. there are some upgrades to the dash software also, plus a current recall on some models.
Thanks! Good to know, I'll have the software situation checked when I go to meet the service people at the dealer in my new town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
I've had the same two or so PSI discrepancy between my gauges ,which I know are accurate, and the computer. I think this is intentional on BMW's part to make sure we owners over inflate the tries rather than under inflate them if we use the i drive measurement.A German nanny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
Ha! I have a similar issue. I have an air compressor which I use to fill my tires. The gauge on that I know reads high (TPMS comes on at anything under about 35 psi by that gauge!). I also have a pen style and a round dial with a bleeder (those two actually read pretty close to each other). Usually the TPMS will read a PSI or two below what those gauges tell me.

I don't trust pressure gauges for any kind of accuracy, just precision. I worry more about keeping the tires side-to-side the same pressure and the differential front to rear within what the manual calls for than I do about the specific PSI (since I don't know which gauge to trust). Besides, at 1 psi / 10 deg F, I'd have to be out twice a day to keep my tires at the specified PSI...
Ha, ok yeah I'm sure the calibration is not great on my gauges and I too see large temperature swings throughout the day. 33-37psi when cold and let it rise a few psi from there is a comfortably safe range for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
I find computer PSI pretty accurate. Cheap gauges never worked for me, I use one at new pump next to my home and its accurate as well

My brake wear sensor is also stuck at 3200 for past several thousand miles. I feel like its waiting for free maintenance to expire.....seriously lol
Glad I'm not the only one haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
The sensor only goes off when it wears down and the sensor makes contact with the rotor....

The number of miles is just the computer guesstimating....
Ah, ok thanks, so even if the computer guesses that there would still be sufficient pad thickness, but they actually wear down enough to make contact, it will show a maintenance warning?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:

Ah, ok thanks, so even if the computer guesses that there would still be sufficient pad thickness, but they actually wear down enough to make contact, it will show a maintenance warning?
Yes, the computer will say whatever, then when the sensor wears and touches the rotor (it means you have 2mm left) it will say yellow and show 1000 miles left....

after 1000 miles as per the odometer, it will turn red
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #9
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Regarding pressure read outs: Fill tires to correct pressure when they are at their coldest. Outside temperature and tires heated by driving have a big affect on pressure. Just normal daily temperature variation and heating up tires due to driving can add 5 psi to the pressure with no problem depending on your location.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #10
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Last summer I did a 1200 mile round trip in 36 hours. Even slept in the car. The return was a single non-stop run, with nothing but 10 minute gas stops. My butt never got sore, and the whole trip felt much shorter and way more comfortable than similar drives in other cars.

Did a few other long drives with 6+ hours in the seat. All were comfy.

I think most of the credit goes to the seats. Best I've ever owned. And with 14-way adjustability, I could make some slight alterations whenever I needed a slight shift. The relatively quiet cabin and smooth ride helped a lot too.

Last edited by ggggbmw; 03-05-2018 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #11
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Nice write up. Glad you are enjoying your 2 Series!

I took the Performance Center Delivery (PCD) on mine, where I bought the car from the dealership in North Haven CT, and picked it up in Greenville SC. So my initial experience with the car was during the 850 mile 14 hour road trip home. My previous car was a 2005 Ford Mustang, so needless to say, the level of luxury and comfort was quite an improvement. In fact, I never owned a car even close to the luxury level of the 2 series.

The biggest things I noticed during that trip home were:

-- The BMW's Michelin PSS tires were a huge improvement over the Kumho all season tires on the Mustang in terms of road noise and grip.

-- The BMW suspension in both Sport and Comfort modes is much more compliant than the stiff Mustang suspension.

-- The seats in both the Mustang and the BMW were comfortable on long trips, but the BMW seats are much sportier and the bolstering holds you in the seat a lot better.

-- The BMW engine has massive torque in 6th gear at normal highway speeds and never needs a downshift to pass traffic.