THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning NEW RELEASE: Free Flow Exhaust / Mid-Pipe (F22 M240i)

05-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #89
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Was waiting for one more part. Leaving now to get all of this thrown onto my car

Will post results later today.

Ps. My diffuser will be painted and be installed too woot!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #90
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Before. I took a video which I'll post with the after video later today
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 04:55 PM   #91
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

[IMG][/IMG]

No sagging noticeable to me.

First impressions:

Lots of pops and burbles.
Deeper noise, sounds aggressive with no increase in drone while cruising.
Weird smell with windows down.
Throttle response is much better in all modes. I don't know if this is solely he mid pip or if the bms intake helped with that too.

Very happy.

The shop had a lift so it was easy for them to cut and pop on.

PM me if you're in socal and wanna get this installed. They did quality work and only took littler over an hour to install. Half the price of most shops too - got referred to them by my audio guys.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
RotorOver295.50
AlexM240i101.50
      05-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #92
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the poor quality - iphone is all I had. Will do more vids after the car "breaks" in the new pipe.

Stock

Stock video

Dinan

Dinan video
Appreciate 3
kohlzor46.50
RotorOver295.50
AlexM240i101.50
      05-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #93
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Sounds nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #94
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
Sounds nice.
Thanks!

Couple more clips while driving in cabin with iPhone.

Appreciate 3
RotorOver295.50
AlexM240i101.50
fbsm743.00
      05-13-2017, 07:10 PM   #95
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Sounds awesome!

Do you notice it to be substantially louder in comfort mode as well?
Wondering if it is possible to keep the car quiet under certain circumstances
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #96
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

First impressions:

Throttle response is much better in all modes. I don't know if this is solely he mid pip or if the bms intake helped with that too.

Very happy.

PM me if you're in socal and wanna get this installed. They did quality work and only took littler over an hour to install. Half the price of most shops too - got referred to them by my audio guys.
Thanks for the detailed pictures!
That tailpipe alignment is perfect! It looks exactly like mine with the OE exhaust. I have the same tips.
And, yours sounds great too!
Now I have the assurance I was looking for before getting it installed. Thanks! I'll call my local Dinan dealer on Monday to make an appointment.
The improved throttle response is likely from the intake and DinanTronics Sport, not the exhaust.

Here's a picture of mine with the OE exhaust, same tips and MP diffuser, for comparison:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/attac...1&d=1489099999

Looks like you did a lot of stuff all at once!
What was in the little BMW box in the first picture?
If you kept the OE mid-pipe, did it fit inside the car to bring it home?
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors

Last edited by PeterWT; 05-14-2017 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #97
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

First impressions:

Very happy.

Thanks for the detailed pictures!
That tailpipe alignment is perfect! It looks exactly like mine with the OE exhaust. I have the same tips.
And, yours sounds great too!
Now I have the assurance I was looking for before getting it installed. Thanks! I'll call my local Dinan dealer on Monday to make an appointment.
The improved throttle response is likely from the intake and DinanTronics Sport, not the exhaust.

Here's a picture of mine with the OE exhaust, same tips and MP diffuser, for comparison:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/attac...1&d=1489099999

Looks like you did a lot of stuff all at once!
What was in the little BMW box in the first picture?
If you kept the OE mid-pipe, did it fit inside the car to bring it home?
Thanks and nice pics of your car too!

I didn't install the dinantronics. Gonna hold off on that until I get a few miles on the car. I'm only at 800 lol.

Little box was door projectors.

The oem midepipe most likely won't fit. I had gf haul it in her suv. You might me able to get away with it but there isn't enough room even with the backseat down - if it does fit , it definitely will be going into the front seat/windshield area for sure.
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      05-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #98
POVRTM
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Anyone happen to know the torque specs on the 2 T55 bolts holding the cross member plate? I just checked my connections/clamps and they loosened up since install. I'd like to do a proper torque on them.
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      05-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #99
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:

I didn't install the dinantronics. Gonna hold off on that until I get a few miles on the car. I'm only at 800 lol.

The oem midepipe most likely won't fit. I had gf haul it in her suv. You might me able to get away with it but there isn't enough room even with the backseat down - if it does fit , it definitely will be going into the front seat/windshield area for sure.
I think you'll like the DinanTronics. I do.
Ah, the door handle light lenses.
I guess I'll ask the shop to hold my OE mid-pipe until I can come back with another vehicle.
Thanks again for all the info!
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #100
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Quote:

I think you'll like the DinanTronics. I do.
Ah, the door handle light lenses.
I guess I'll ask the shop to hold my OE mid-pipe until I can come back with another vehicle.
Thanks again for all the info!
If only there were a way to thank me for all my info :

Jk hope you get to enjoy the mid pipe soon
Appreciate 1
kohlzor46.50
      05-15-2017, 02:30 AM   #101
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quick Second day thoughts:

The sound is what I wanted it to be stock. The other car I was considering buying was a c43 and that car makes amazing tunes. Not quite the amg, but very happy with the sound now.

I get tons of pop noises while shift around 5k rpm or depressing the accelerator and the catching the rpm.

Throttle response is better tho that could be because of my intake or maybe both

Only concern I have is on cold startup. I get this weird rattling noise. Tho it might not be a rattle, could just be the raspy sound. I hear it when the car is above 1k rpm at idle. Then when it drops about 15 seconds to 700rpm idle state it goes away. After that I only hear it when accelerating And It goes away after 2-3 minutes driving the car. After that it's fkn awesome and I don't hear a "rattle"

Don't know what it is. Worried that a clamp could be loose. Or my diffuser. Or my new exhaust tips. I did tons of things at the same time so can't isolate the issue to which change.

It just sounds, unpolished and that bothers me.

I have a hypothesis. I disconnected my valve connector. Maybe the valve is doing something, not sure. I'm going to try to reconnect drive a few times and disconnect and see if I get the same results.
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      05-15-2017, 03:03 AM   #102
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlzor View Post
Sounds awesome!

Do you notice it to be substantially louder in comfort mode as well?
Wondering if it is possible to keep the car quiet under certain circumstances
Quote:
Thanks!

Yeah, def sound differences between the two.

Comfort is still louder from previous comfort with stock pipe, but you get quieterin comfort mode. You did lose the burble tho
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      05-15-2017, 08:06 AM   #103
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by POVRTM View Post
Anyone happen to know the torque specs on the 2 T55 bolts holding the cross member plate? I just checked my connections/clamps and they loosened up since install. I'd like to do a proper torque on them.
54 NM.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #104
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

First impressions:

Very happy.

Great mods and great sound !!!

No saggy tips BTW. Did you make the cut at the "BMW punch" ? Any suggestions to obtain that clean and perfect look ???
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #105
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The sound is what I wanted it to be stock. The other car I was considering buying was a c43 and that car makes amazing tunes. Not quite the amg, but very happy with the sound now.

I get tons of pop noises while shift around 5k rpm or depressing the accelerator and the catching the rpm.

Throttle response is better tho that could be because of my intake or maybe both

Only concern I have is on cold startup. I get this weird rattling noise. Tho it might not be a rattle, could just be the raspy sound. I hear it when the car is above 1k rpm at idle. Then when it drops about 15 seconds to 700rpm idle state it goes away. After that I only hear it when accelerating And It goes away after 2-3 minutes driving the car. After that it's fkn awesome and I don't hear a "rattle"

Don't know what it is. Worried that a clamp could be loose. Or my diffuser. Or my new exhaust tips. I did tons of things at the same time so can't isolate the issue to which change.

I have a hypothesis. I disconnected my valve connector. Maybe the valve is doing something, not sure. I'm going to try to reconnect drive a few times and disconnect and see if I get the same results.
Did you check the clearance between the mid pipe and the cross-member section ??
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #106
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've been in the exhaust shop 4 times with the same "saggy tips" results...

They've rotated that midpipe like a million times with the same outcome.

I know the sound is great and now i really enjoy de car but as i said, you want everything perfect in this machines...

Vyruz Reaper Would be great if you can take some pictures after the installation to see the angle of the midpipe and the connection with the dp and muffler.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #107
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM240i View Post
Quote:

Did you check the clearance between the mid pipe and the cross-member section ??
I'll try to do so today, when I checked leaving the shop it looked okay to me but I'm not an expert

Think it can be vibrating off that? But why would it stop after the car warming up after a few minutes?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #108
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I know the sound is great and now i really enjoy de car but as i said, you want everything perfect in this machines...

Vyruz Reaper Would be great if you can take some pictures after the installation to see the angle of the midpipe and the connection with the dp and muffler.
Sure, I should've snagged a pic while on lift but I was too excited to try the sound I forgot :/

I'll see how I can do so sometime soon
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #109
Jim240
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive Coupe

Quote:

By virtue of Vyruz Reaper's photos, the sagging tips issue was proved to be one of installation. So armed with that knowledge and Dinan's response to my previous post, I headed back out to the driveway for one more try. This time success! I think it's intuitive to want the zigzag part of the midpipe to be level with the undercarriage, but as Dinan instructed, it's got to be rotated counter-clockwise (more than a little) until those tips come up. I had rotated before but not enough.

There is a measurement that might help (see close-up photo). The distance between the top of the rear elbow to the frame is 2 3/8 inches. Hope that helps some of you...
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim240; 05-15-2017 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: reword
Appreciate 3
fbsm743.00
RotorOver295.50
      05-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #110
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim240 View Post
By virtue of Vyruz Reaper's photos, the sagging tips issue was proved to be one of installation. So armed with that knowledge and Dinan's response to my previous post, I headed back out to the driveway for one more try. This time success! I think it's intuitive to want the zigzag part of the midpipe to be level with the undercarriage, but as Dinan instructed, it's got to be rotated counter-clockwise (more than a little) until those tips come up. I had rotated before but not enough.

There is a measurement that might help (see close-up photo). The distance between the top of the rear elbow to the frame is 2 3/8 inches. Hope that helps some of you...
Glad you got it!

Do you notice a rattle/raspy tiny noise while it is warming up? And it goes away after driving a few minutes?
Appreciate 0