THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Sport (B58)

02-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #45
Cars
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi MGM

Put the dinan in super late last night. Went right to race mode and wow what a difference. Not enough hard data yet to give to you guys, but the butt dyno was very impressed. I am getting a check engine light today though and I'm not sure why. Ran through the install just as the instructions stated. Wondering if the car needs to be asleep when it's installed rather than just the ignition being off. Gonna read the code later to see what it's saying. I'll have more updates later.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #46
Cars
Private
Rep

Update: read the codes and I'm getting P12A5 and P112F. Any ideas? I just double checked the connections and everything looks fine. I'm kinda stumped :

I erased them and they came back within about 5 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #47
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive35i

Try resetting the codes and setting the module to Sport+. Perhaps Race mode is too aggressive for the ECU to cope with?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #48
Cars
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout8488 View Post
Try resetting the codes and setting the module to Sport+. Perhaps Race mode is too aggressive for the ECU to cope with?
This'll be getting sent back real quick if it's something stupid like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #49
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Take a read. While not the same car - the code is the same.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1057503
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #50
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars View Post
Put the dinan in super late last night.... I am getting a check engine light today though and I'm not sure why. Ran through the install just as the instructions stated. Wondering if the car needs to be asleep when it's installed rather than just the ignition being off...
I ordered mine on Monday; supposed to arrive tomorrow.
I'm not happy to see this and starting to second guess my purchase.

@ Dinan:
Any comments or reassurance that if installed as instructed and used as intended it won't result in CELs and/or error codes?

Last edited by PeterWT; 02-08-2017 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #51
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post

@ Dinan:
Any comments or reassurance that if installed as instructed and used as intended it won't result in CELs and/or error codes?
Not all cars are created equal and some are closer to the edge so to speak from the factory then others. While they may all be within the accepted OE window there is always the possibility that when they start off close to acceptable tolerances and when tweaked/tuned it will set it over those acceptable limits.

That said none of our development/test cars after everything was ironed out set faults and none of the others that were received from the initial shipping that have made it to social channels or what have you have reported the same thing so this would be the first case of a CEL that I am aware of.

I would encourage the OP to reach out to Dinan Warranty / Tech Support at 1-800-341-5480 x2101 as they have not been contacted about any B58 SPORT tuners to see if they could assist in sorting what may be at play.

It may be worth a shot to turn it down a setting (to Sport+) and run it for a bit just to see if the OP's car may be one of those that is tuned closer to acceptable limits then norm from the factory and the maxed tune is just setting it over the edge. Not entirely scientific but it tests a possibility pretty quickly anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #52
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Not all cars are created equal and some are closer to the edge so to speak from the factory then others. While they may all be within the accepted OE window there is always the possibility that when they start off close to acceptable tolerances and when tweaked/tuned it will set it over those acceptable limits.

That said none of our development/test cars after everything was ironed out set faults and none of the others that were received from the initial shipping that have made it to social channels or what have you have reported the same thing so this would be the first case of a CEL that I am aware of.

I would encourage the OP to reach out to Dinan Warranty / Tech Support at 1-800-341-5480 x2101 as they have not been contacted about any B58 SPORT tuners to see if they could assist in sorting what may be at play.

It may be worth a shot to turn it down a setting (to Sport+) and run it for a bit just to see if the OP's car may be one of those that is tuned closer to acceptable limits then norm from the factory and the maxed tune is just setting it over the edge. Not entirely scientific but it tests a possibility pretty quickly anyway.
Thanks for the prompt response.
The background info you provided is somewhat reassuring.
I intend to run mine in "Sport" or maybe "Sport+", but not "Race". So, here's to hoping mine falls within "acceptable tolerances" and I never see a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #53
Cars
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

@ Dinan:

Was this tuner actually tested on an m240i? We have ppk where as 340/440 don't. I'm wondering if this thing can even handle the extra boost we already have. I reset everything and ran it in sport+ for about 12 miles before the cel popped again for the same thing. I've called support to no answer twice today. Left a message so hopefully I'll get a response tomorrow. I'm really hoping something can be done about this as I love the simplicity of the module and app. Hopefully I have a dud module.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #54
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
Take a read. While not the same car - the code is the same.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1057503
That thread explains the problem....

This is the conclution:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=34
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #55
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Was this tuner actually tested on an m240i? We have ppk where as 340/440 don't. I'm wondering if this thing can even handle the extra boost we already have. I reset everything and ran it in sport+ for about 12 miles before the cel popped again for the same thing. I've called support to no answer twice today. Left a message so hopefully I'll get a response tomorrow. I'm really hoping something can be done about this as I love the simplicity of the module and app. Hopefully I have a dud module.
Apologize for the delay in responding. Been a busy day.

We had 2 M240i's in the test fleet that I am aware of. There may have been more though as they send a few out all over the place for different environments and what not to be tested in and with different drivers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM240i View Post
That thread explains the problem....

This is the conclution:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=34
There's always the chance for an oddball. With as much technology that are in these cars theres a lot of things that can go wrong or effect something seemingly totally unrelated. Nature of the beast with tuning but especially with piggybacks as you are confined to a narrower box to work in I'm afraid.
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      02-09-2017, 10:44 PM   #56
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Apologize for the delay in responding. Been a busy day.

We had 2 M240i's in the test fleet that I am aware of. There may have been more though as they send a few out all over the place for different environments and what not to be tested in and with different drivers, etc.

There's always the chance for an oddball. With as much technology that are in these cars theres a lot of things that can go wrong or effect something seemingly totally unrelated. Nature of the beast with tuning but especially with piggybacks as you are confined to a narrower box to work in I'm afraid.
I was really excited about the product.

I hope you can solve the issues and come out with an stable unit. I would definitely buy it.
Appreciate 1
Cars38.50
      02-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #57
Cars
Private
Rep

Yeah so after a bunch of trial and error, this module just isn't working properly with the car. I talked to tech support and they don't really have any diagnostic support for the unit since it's such a simple system. Their only course of action really, was to send it back for a new one but I highly doubt the module is a dud. Sucks cause I really liked the simplicity of the system. Nothing against Dinan, but I'm just gonna send it back for a refund as I really don't wanna wait for the turn around and have the next module do the same thing. I've got a jb4 on the way so here's to hoping I have no problems with that. I really hope it works for anyone else who buys this!
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      02-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #58
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah so after a bunch of trial and error, this module just isn't working properly with the car. I talked to tech support and they don't really have any diagnostic support for the unit since it's such a simple system. Their only course of action really, was to send it back for a new one but I highly doubt the module is a dud. Sucks cause I really liked the simplicity of the system. Nothing against Dinan, but I'm just gonna send it back for a refund as I really don't wanna wait for the turn around and have the next module do the same thing. I've got a jb4 on the way so here's to hoping I have no problems with that. I really hope it works for anyone else who buys this!
No worries. As the tech stated the SPORT unit is only modifying a single signal so it either works or it doesn't for all practical purposes. Not much to troubleshoot in the grand scheme of things. Wish you luck with your future tuning endeavors and I hope you have better success.
Appreciate 1
Cars38.50
      02-10-2017, 12:16 PM   #59
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No worries. As the tech stated the SPORT unit is only modifying a single signal so it either works or it doesn't for all practical purposes. Not much to troubleshoot in the grand scheme of things. Wish you luck with your future tuning endeavors and I hope you have better success.
So what's Dinan plan to this ?? Discontinue de module ? Pray so the majority of units work in the M240i ?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #60
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I ordered mine on Monday and should have it one day next week. I like the simplicity and control via app as well.
Fingers crossed that it works OK on my car, at least in Sport & Sport+.
I'll post results.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #61
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM240i View Post
So what's Dinan plan to this ?? Discontinue de module ? Pray so the majority of units work in the M240i ?
Once it gets back we will take a look at it and see if something is amiss with that particular module (bad programming, loose harness not totally connected to the control board, broken connector, etc) and that will determine if it was simply a defective unit or if the unit just wasn't compatible with that particular car for whatever the reason may be. They go through QC so a lot of that stuff is pretty impossible unless it just missed QC day. Loose harness is possible if it was yanked hard enough though and broken connectors arent terribly uncommon--- people think they have it seated but dont and then force the clip down during install resulting in it breaking so the connector is never fully engaged. In fact those 2 particular codes are commonly associated with the connector not being seated all the way and the clip not engaging. I have to assume warranty went through the few random possibilities with the OP and it still didnt work though. As stated before not every car is the same and some are closer to the edge of acceptable tolerances then others. When you add more boost it just puts them over that defined edge. This may simply be one of those cars. It doesn't happen terribly often but it does happen.

We have a couple hundred of the B58 modules in the field at this point and this would be the only reported issue to date. It would be presumptive to panic and pull the product from the market when there happened to be single bad unit (for whatever reason). If more turn up as having issues then it will be addressed at this point. Currently however, its an isolated anomaly.
Appreciate 2
AlexM240i101.50
WolfGTI716.00
      02-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #62
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
I ordered mine on Monday and should have it one day next week. I like the simplicity and control via app as well.
Fingers crossed that it works OK on my car, at least in Sport & Sport+.
I'll post results.
I know in an earlier post you said you would mainly keep it in Sport and maybe Sport+, but can you try it in Race to see if a code appears?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #63
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Any updates ???
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 03:17 PM   #64
Cars
Private
Rep

I sent mine back a couple days ago, so we'll see if they actually find something wrong with it and post about it. Would be nice if some of these other people with the tuner installed, would drop some input in for the rest of you guys...
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      02-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #65
max_k20
Bavarian Love
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230i xDrive

Not sure if relevant but i'm currently the tester for Dinan for the B58 DPT Sports on the B48. At least for the B48 (230i, 330i engine) the device is working properly and no issue or check engine so far. Not the same engine as the B58 that is sure but same device. In sport+ (+3psi) its pulling great and seem its doing its job properly. Didnt tried Race mode yet (+4psi) because I don't really have access to 93+ octane easily, its about 0-14F this week and we received 25 inches of snow since last sunday.

My only complaint so far is the application (at least on IOS). The map switching seem to be working fine but the boost gauge feature simply does bot work (at least on B48 engine).
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      02-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #66
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout8488 View Post
I know in an earlier post you said you would mainly keep it in Sport and maybe Sport+, but can you try it in Race to see if a code appears?
Mine hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, I'll try it in Sport & Sport+. Hopefully I don't get any codes and I'll post my impressions after using it for a while.
However I do not plan to run it in Race because +4 boost on a stock engine is too much for my taste and I don't want to risk a stored code.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0