THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Who is going to tint their 2??

07-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #89
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Hyperzulu: Do you have any problems at night and other car's lights looking hazy or street lights looking hazy?

I had windshield tint on a previous car, I forgot the brand though, and had that problem. I'm hoping this Llumar Air 80 doesn't have it.
Not at all. Other than the purple/blue hue I get on some surfaces when using polarized sunglasses, I never even notice it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #90
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Didnt know you can tint front windshield???
If I understand correctly, it is illegal to tint the front windshield, federally and in most states. Some states do offer a medical exemption, but I've heard that if you go to the trouble of getting one, you may not be allowed to drive a car without a tinted windshield (just as you cannot drive without glasses if you need them to pass your eye test at the DMV).

I have also read that there is some liability risk if you get in accident with a tinted windshield (the lawyer could claim your visibility was impaired). Your insurance company could also refuse to pay for damages for similar reasons. I don't know how likely these scenarios are, though.

There is also the concern about water dripping down into the firewall and shorting out electronics. This is probably pretty unlikely with an experienced professional, but it is a risk. Similarly, the curvature of the windshield prevents some challenges for the tinter, which could result, worst case, in a cracked windshield. (I would think this would be covered by the tint shop's insurance, though.)

One other seemingly far fetched argument I saw for not tinting your front windshield is that it could interfere with airbag deployment. Apparently some passenger-side airbags are designed to deploy upward and deflect off the windshield. If you put a film over the windshield, it could slow down the deflection. I have a hard time fathoming that it could make much of a difference, but I thought it was interesting enough to mention.

The fact remains, though, that despite all the cons, lots of people do tint their front windshield. My impression is that, if you go with a very high-VLT (i.e., light) tint, your risk of getting a ticket is probably quite low. Clearly, many people go with tints dark enough that you can't see their face in broad daylight. I'm guessing the laws were written to discourage that type of tint job, not the kind where you just want to block out some heat from the largest piece of glass on your car without darkening it appreciably.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #91
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

If a very light tint can offer lots if benefits (heat, uv, etc) why can't that technology be used in the manufacturing process to begin with? I'm no chemical engineer but you'd think it could be done. Since rear windows come tinted often pretty dark (ie my Macan) it can't be a safety feature preventing the glass from shattering safely during an accident or something along those lines.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #92
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
If a very light tint can offer lots if benefits (heat, uv, etc) why can't that technology be used in the manufacturing process to begin with? I'm no chemical engineer but you'd think it could be done. Since rear windows come tinted often pretty dark (ie my Macan) it can't be a safety feature preventing the glass from shattering safely during an accident or something along those lines.
Windshields on modern cars already use laminated glass, which is made from two layers of glass sandwiching a layer of stretchy plastic. The primary reason for using laminated glass is safety (it won't shatter all over the place), but a side benefit is very good UVA/UVB protection (I've seen figures between 95% and 99%). While the other windows are typically plain, tempered glass, there is a recent push to start using laminated glass for other windows (see http://www.epgaa.com/?page_id=1673 for examples). Beyond UV blocking, laminated class can also be made with IR reflective coating, to keep the interior cooler (see http://www.robertsej.com/benefits/comfort/).

Hopefully, it's only a matter of time before automakers start using more laminated glass and adding IR reflective coatings. I would imagine the main downsides are cost and (I suspect) glass thickness/weight. Also, in very cold climates, glass that blocks heat might actually be undesirable (though I would think UV blocking would always be desirable).

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #93
JM35
N54 Tuner
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6spd

You can tint the top however many inches of the front windshield legally I believe. Just to protect your eyes from the sun when its at that certain level

600hp 135i build blog
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #94
furii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM35 View Post
You can tint the top however many inches of the front windshield legally I believe. Just to protect your eyes from the sun when its at that certain level
in most states. nj doesn't allow you to tint any portion so even tinting the top 6" will get you a ticket.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #95
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal
Quote:
Windshields on modern cars already use laminated glass, which is made from two layers of glass sandwiching a layer of stretchy plastic. The primary reason for using laminated glass is safety (it won't shatter all over the place), but a side benefit is very good UVA/UVB protection (I've seen figures between 95% and 99%). While the other windows are typically plain, tempered glass, there is a recent push to start using laminated glass for other windows (see http://www.epgaa.com/?page_id=1673 for examples). Beyond UV blocking, laminated class can also be made with IR reflective coating, to keep the interior cooler (see http://www.robertsej.com/benefits/comfort/).

Hopefully, it's only a matter of time before automakers start using more laminated glass and adding IR reflective coatings. I would imagine the main downsides are cost and (I suspect) glass thickness/weight. Also, in very cold climates, glass that blocks heat might actually be undesirable (though I would think UV blocking would always be desirable).
That's helpful, thanks for the info. If the windshield is already laminated why is there a benefit of adding more film? Do they just not use the right film?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #96
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's helpful, thanks for the info. If the windshield is already laminated why is there a benefit of adding more film? Do they just not use the right film?
Essentially, yes. The film (that stretchy plastic layer) does not include IR reflective properties by default (or at least not much). It also doesn't do much to reduce glare. So, adding tint still does have some added value. The question of course is how much.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #97
jawal
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I hope this isn't too off-topic... Can anyone point me to a place where I can find a good, reputable person to apply window tint on my M235i? I've looked on a few of the regional forums without much luck. I live in Boston but could also get it done in Philly.

I'm not particularly price sensitive, but I want it perfect and I do not want to get any other part of my car messed up in the process. [Too many times I have gotten work done on a car and then something gets scratched or marked up and I end up spending time getting that fixed.] Yelp, BBB were not much help. Suggestions where I can look online or who I can call?

FYI. Still undecided on which brand tint. Looking at HuberOptik, 3M Crystalline, Llumar and Pinnacle Formula One. I mention as I assume some appliers only apply certain brands.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #98
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawal View Post
I hope this isn't too off-topic... Can anyone point me to a place where I can find a good, reputable person to apply window tint on my M235i? I've looked on a few of the regional forums without much luck. I live in Boston but could also get it done in Philly.

I'm not particularly price sensitive, but I want it perfect and I do not want to get any other part of my car messed up in the process. [Too many times I have gotten work done on a car and then something gets scratched or marked up and I end up spending time getting that fixed.] Yelp, BBB were not much help. Suggestions where I can look online or who I can call?

FYI. Still undecided on which brand tint. Looking at HuberOptik, 3M Crystalline, Llumar and Pinnacle Formula One. I mention as I assume some appliers only apply certain brands.
I know forums are a good place to ask traditionally, but yelp is probably your best bet. Then search the ones nearby with lots of stellar reviews and see if people have taken bimmers to them.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #99
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

See who does Huper Optik in your area. I found that Huper Optik is pretty selective about who they authorize to install their product and they don't just allow anyone, so the person/company is under a little more pressure to do a good job.

Here in the Phoenix area there is only one guy who does it, pretty small operation, the owner does the install himself and does a great job. Previously a local chain car wash place was doing it and while they did a good job on my old car, they must of not on everyone's because they lost their license from Huper Optik I guess and this new guy took it over who has done 2 installs for me and both times they've been perfect.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:48 PM   #100
Jeff231
M235i
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

I just got F1 Pinnacle this past weekend. 40% rear window with 50% sides. I think it looks perfect... it's actually a lot darker than I thought it would be. Will try to post pics tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 12:54 AM   #101
7Defcon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M Sport

Here's a picture of mine with Spectra Photosync Ceramics... 75% Front and 55% Sides and Rear. It has some amazing UV/IR blocking abilities. Was told it blocks up to 60% heat... rejects 99.5% of ultraviolet rays (both UVA and UVB) and 98.5% IR.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:06 AM   #102
7Defcon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M Sport

Here's a better picture without any exposure/brightness/contrast issues taken with an actual camera and not my phone. For those curious how 75 Front, 55 Sides & Rear look like.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #103
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawal

Shades of grey is supposed to be the best in Philly. Got mine done there very happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:16 PM   #104
Jeff231
M235i
United_States
Rep

Here's mine with Formula One Pinnacle. 50% sides, 40% rear window. It came out perfect and was exactly what I was looking for as far as darkness and heat resistance. It's so hard to judge how dark tint percentages are from pictures, so here's a bunch to try and help those who are still looking. The angle really affects the darkness.

Appreciate 1
      07-17-2014, 12:16 AM   #105
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff231 View Post
Here's mine with Formula One Pinnacle. 50% sides, 40% rear window.
Looks great! So nothing on the front windshield?

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 11:07 PM   #106
Jeff231
M235i
United_States
Rep

Thanks! Correct, nothing on the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #107
1stm235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril blue m235i

Got 25% all rear windows and 35% front windows......
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #108
1stm235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril blue m235i

Another angle.......
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #109
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

I went 35% all around (nothing on windshield) with 3M Color Stable.

I actually went in wanting 50% all around but the tint folks looked at me like I was crazy for wanting that. I figured what the hell and went 35. Damage was $300 so if I didn't like it in the end it wasn't the end of the world.

It looks nice and hoping it cures nicely, especially around that dot matrix that BMW put just about everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #110
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
I went 35% all around (nothing on windshield) with 3M Color Stable.

I actually went in wanting 50% all around but the tint folks looked at me like I was crazy for wanting that. I figured what the hell and went 35. Damage was $300 so if I didn't like it in the end it wasn't the end of the world.

It looks nice and hoping it cures nicely, especially around that dot matrix that BMW put just about everywhere.
50% is definitely too light. I think 35% is pretty good as in dark enough for visual appeal and light enough for not impairing visibility at night. As for the heat rejection, you can always use a better film.
Appreciate 0