THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning JB4/MHD-BEF/xHP Compatability

06-08-2023, 10:12 PM   #1
NedMorHP
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

JB4/MHD-BEF/xHP Compatability

Just a heads up- not bashing.
I have a 2018 M240 Xdrive with 17k miles, I have installed:

-Intake
-Catless DP
-TU Fuel Pump
-Vargas GC Hybrid Turbo
-JB4 Piggyback w/meth control
-Port Meth injection w/7th nozzle in DP for cooling
-xHP Trans flash set to Race

I added a MHD BEF, which is really a JB4 product. After adding the BEF I would go into limp mode from time to time.

JB4 was helpful and thought the tune was clashing with the xHP, so they tweaked the tune and I reloaded it.

Took care of my limp problem But I could tell right away it was not launching/shifting as hard/fast.

Went to drag strip and best I could get was a 12.5@112mph, which is very disappointing. The tweak nerfed the other mods so much it took it back to almost stock performance!

So off came the BEF. Just giving a heads up because I spent $550. to make my car slower.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 10:13 AM   #2
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 Yas Marina M3, '17 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedMorHP View Post
Just a heads up- not bashing.
I have a 2018 M240 Xdrive with 17k miles, I have installed:

-Intake
-Catless DP
-TU Fuel Pump
-Vargas GC Hybrid Turbo
-JB4 Piggyback w/meth control
-Port Meth injection w/7th nozzle in DP for cooling
-xHP Trans flash set to Race

I added a MHD BEF, which is really a JB4 product. After adding the BEF I would go into limp mode from time to time.

JB4 was helpful and thought the tune was clashing with the xHP, so they tweaked the tune and I reloaded it.

Took care of my limp problem But I could tell right away it was not launching/shifting as hard/fast.

Went to drag strip and best I could get was a 12.5@112mph, which is very disappointing. The tweak nerfed the other mods so much it took it back to almost stock performance!

So off came the BEF. Just giving a heads up because I spent $550. to make my car slower.
With those mods I would find a reputable tuner and go onto a different platform maybe BM3 and use a custom tune. If you can get one dialed in on a dyno too by a shop, even better. I feel JB4 is limited to what you really can get out of the car properly since it is just manipulating the values in the ecu not actually editing them to benefit the car. Is your cars computer locked?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 01:53 PM   #3
NedMorHP
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

No, not locked. I'm looking around for tuners/dyno now. I think I'm beyond what a OTS map can handle.

Not slamming anyone, product. But I 'thought' that the JB4/Xhp/BEF was all compatible based on what I read on the forums. And I'm going for a modest 500-550 to wheels. So I though OTS tunes would work, with all the supporting mods I have.

Not the case. So I wasted a lot of money on JB4/MHD super license, and perhaps the xHP.

Just providing a heads up. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 02:51 PM   #4
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
No, not locked. I'm looking around for tuners/dyno now. I think I'm beyond what a OTS map can handle.

Not slamming anyone, product. But I 'thought' that the JB4/Xhp/BEF was all compatible based on what I read on the forums. And I'm going for a modest 500-550 to wheels. So I though OTS tunes would work, with all the supporting mods I have.

Not the case. So I wasted a lot of money on JB4/MHD super license, and perhaps the xHP.

Lol at a "modest" 500 to 550 to the wheels. Sounds like a heck of a good time though.

I had a JB4 unit for my car prior to switching to MHD. I had really good luck connecting with Terry there and a couple other technical guys when I had questions. I wonder if someone on their team could help you with tuning with what you have. Might be worth a shot to try that before spending money on something new.
      06-13-2023, 03:56 PM   #5
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 Yas Marina M3, '17 M240i

Quote:

XHP trans tune isn’t a waste, but i was in the same boat for my f80 when i did jb4 it is a slight waste if you really plan to push the car. 100% idk if MHD or bm3 would even have an ots map for your current upgrades especially w meth. I would find a custom tuner maybe locally and get a proper tune dialed. you should hit your 500 whp goal with ease with a proper tune.
Appreciate 0