THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Issue with brakes, possibly Hill Hold Assist?

05-04-2023, 09:06 AM   #1
TMatt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i

Issue with brakes, possibly Hill Hold Assist?

Hi, I recently went through a pretty deep puddle and then a couple minutes later while driving around 70mph the car just started braking randomly like someone stamped on the brakes for about 2 seconds and slowed me down to about 50.
This happened a couple of times until I pulled over and when I was travelling at low speed it felt like it was lightly braking and pads were dragging on the rotors. I tried restarting the car and when I went to let the clutch out and pull away it wouldn't budge, like it was holding the brakes(like it thinks it's on a hill). To get this to stop I had to turn the car off and wait for the computer to click off and then it would be ok and I could pull away normally. I continued to drive home and it did the random braking thing again a couple more times until I got home and left it over night.
This continued to happen, every other day it would act up but other days it would be fine although I did notice and still do notice every time I hit the brakes it feels like the pads are dragging for a couple seconds after. The past few days it hasn't been holding the brakes when i go to drive away but it still is dragging the pads when I brake at any speed. Also, every time I park in the garage it smells like I drove a couple laps on a racetrack and the brakes are super hot.
Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Did I short a fuse or fry some kind of system that manages the hill hold assist?
Appreciate 0