THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Video: Mid-Ohio

07-24-2022, 09:34 PM   #1
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Video: Mid-Ohio

This video is from the 2022 AudiFest at Mid-Ohio. This was my first time at this track. Watching videos really doesn't prepare you for just how much elevation change there is at this track. The back section (aka 'Madness') goes up and down like a roller coaster. And I don't think there is anywhere on the track where you aren't going uphill or downhill.

This was also my first time running in the Advanced group. I wanted 3 days on track since it was such a long trip out there, and had to register Advanced to do that. I was a bit nervous, especially once I saw the cars in the group. My M235 was one of the slowest cars in the group. There were a pair of Radicals (they pass me in the this video) and a pair of Revolutions out there. The GT3's and a ZL1 were also blazingly fast. But everyone played nice, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I'm following a TTS in this video. He was one of the few cars in my speed bracket, and a perfect rabbit for me to keep in sight. I had an instructor with me on the session before (thanks Ryan), and he was great at pointing out where I was over-slowing for some corners. That also helped me to get about 2 seconds faster through these laps than my previous best times. The 4th lap is the fastest of the weekend, at 1:53.7. For my first time at Mid-Ohio, I'm fairly proud of that time. Especially since my car has no mods. But I still have a way to go to match the 1:47 times dradernh is doing here.

I will definitely be back. This was the most challenging track I've driven so far. And the big contingent of Minnesota people on this trip made the whole time here a blast.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 08:39 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

To me you're early apexing in some turns. When you have 2 or more turns in succession you need to prioritize getting through the last turn properly as doing so decreases speed lost in that turn.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 02:57 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
This video is from the 2022 AudiFest at Mid-Ohio. This was my first time at this track. Watching videos really doesn't prepare you for just how much elevation change there is at this track. The back section (aka 'Madness') goes up and down like a roller coaster. And I don't think there is anywhere on the track where you aren't going uphill or downhill.

This was also my first time running in the Advanced group. I wanted 3 days on track since it was such a long trip out there, and had to register Advanced to do that. I was a bit nervous, especially once I saw the cars in the group. My M235 was one of the slowest cars in the group. There were a pair of Radicals (they pass me in the this video) and a pair of Revolutions out there. The GT3's and a ZL1 were also blazingly fast. But everyone played nice, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I'm following a TTS in this video. He was one of the few cars in my speed bracket, and a perfect rabbit for me to keep in sight. I had an instructor with me on the session before (thanks Ryan), and he was great at pointing out where I was over-slowing for some corners. That also helped me to get about 2 seconds faster through these laps than my previous best times. The 4th lap is the fastest of the weekend, at 1:53.7. For my first time at Mid-Ohio, I'm fairly proud of that time. Especially since my car has no mods. But I still have a way to go to match the 1:47 times dradernh is doing here.

I will definitely be back. This was the most challenging track I've driven so far. And the big contingent of Minnesota people on this trip made the whole time here a blast.
Nice video, thanks for posting!

It looks like Ryan did a great job getting you up-to-speed on the line around the track.

In addition to the car going up or down on most of the circuit, it's also turning a good deal of the time. Together, they make Mid-O a very fun track to drive.
Appreciate 1
ggggbmw430.00
      07-25-2022, 07:45 PM   #4
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
To me you're early apexing in some turns. When you have 2 or more turns in succession you need to prioritize getting through the last turn properly as doing so decreases speed lost in that turn.
I'm not going to say these are great lines or that you should copy my line. I was a bit inconsistent across these 3 laps, and there is at least one oops in every lap. (Probably more I'm not seeing yet.)

As for early apex and linking corners, all I can say is that I was trying really hard to link them. And some corners are purposely early apexed, because you need to take them slower than you might think. But others could just be goofs.

However, for my first time, I think this was fairly good. I've talked with people who have been going here for years, and there is a lot of disagreement between different people on the 'correct' lines. I think a lot is car dependent. And this track is complicated enough you could possibly spend a lifetime and not figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 08:45 AM   #5
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
I'm not going to say these are great lines or that you should copy my line. I was a bit inconsistent across these 3 laps, and there is at least one oops in every lap. (Probably more I'm not seeing yet.)

As for early apex and linking corners, all I can say is that I was trying really hard to link them. And some corners are purposely early apexed, because you need to take them slower than you might think. But others could just be goofs.

However, for my first time, I think this was fairly good. I've talked with people who have been going here for years, and there is a lot of disagreement between different people on the 'correct' lines. I think a lot is car dependent. And this track is complicated enough you could possibly spend a lifetime and not figure it out.
For your first time on the track I think you did fine. I remember my first time on the track (Sear Point, now Sonoma)-absolutely all over the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 02:10 AM   #6
LanceM26
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i, BMW M240iX

jordan24c
Appreciate 0