THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Engine rebuild components

04-08-2023, 01:40 AM   #1
Nickz95
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Lightbulb Engine rebuild components

Yes, your thoughts are correct. Another one has bitten the dust but not how most expect it to have happened. The car is quite modified for track use where it did happen as you can see in the link below, feel free to watch how it went wrong. I have also attached an image of my data log showing how badly it went wrong.

Onboard of failure

Now I’m in the process of gathering parts to complete the rebuild. I am looking for insights or input from those who have built engines into what parts you might recommend. I already have the S55 oil pump and sump ready to go and a bunch of other parts I’m planning to use but would like to see if anyone has some suggestions for what to go with for the following parts:

- pistons
- connecting rods
- all bearings (main & big end)

This car will continue to be used on track so am only looking for parts that are going to improve reliability and handle further performance increases over standard. So cost is not the main factor in what I decide to use, all suggestions welcome including other stuff I haven’t mentioned.

Car was already at Stage 2 level with standard bolt-ons but will be taking the next step with upgraded turbo, high and low fuel pumps and further cooling improvements.

Looking forward to seeing each of your comments.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nickz95; 04-08-2023 at 01:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 12:23 PM   #2
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Awesome driving, like - extremely impressive! Sorry about the engine, curious to see where you go.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2023, 12:24 PM   #3
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Also, strongly recommend you upgrade the exhaust, if you can - 3.5” otherwise SuperSprint is the largest diameter you can get off the shelf.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2023, 07:52 PM   #4
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

That is a scary looking race course. With all of those close walls there is no margin for error.

I'm curious, what are you using to gather the information on oil pressure? What data acquisition are you using?
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2023, 07:25 AM   #5
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Only reason to change those parts would be that you want to prevent failure on them... Otherwise unnecessary in my opinion! Are you going crazy with boost on the rebuild? Then maybe upgrade Rods and Pistons, otherwise why? You're pointing out oil pressure failure, interesting indeed. Is this a common issue with this engine, the block? Oil galleys can be opened up, a deeper oil pan providing a deeper sump and preventing starvation on turns, etc. Just shooting from the hip here... As I'm unfamiliar with this issue on this engine but speaking from other engines I've played with. Of course opening the galleys would require a serious machine shop that "knows" the engine, it will effect pressure but provide constant feed, etc.

Will watch you're build thread

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 10:07 PM   #6
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Only reason to change those parts would be that you want to prevent failure on them... Otherwise unnecessary in my opinion! Are you going crazy with boost on the rebuild? Then maybe upgrade Rods and Pistons, otherwise why? You're pointing out oil pressure failure, interesting indeed. Is this a common issue with this engine, the block? Oil galleys can be opened up, a deeper oil pan providing a deeper sump and preventing starvation on turns, etc. Just shooting from the hip here... As I'm unfamiliar with this issue on this engine but speaking from other engines I've played with. Of course opening the galleys would require a serious machine shop that "knows" the engine, it will effect pressure but provide constant feed, etc.

Will watch you're build thread

Good Luck!
The n55 is well known to blow up on track, the stock oil pan is a crap design and allows the oil pump to run dry during high lateral g's and heavy braking, the rod bearings quickly grenade when it happens. Some dudes have blown them up doing simple donuts in parking lots. You gotta baffle the pan or replace it all with m2 parts.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
      04-15-2023, 03:43 AM   #7
Nickz95
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Awesome driving, like - extremely impressive! Sorry about the engine, curious to see where you go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Also, strongly recommend you upgrade the exhaust, if you can - 3.5” otherwise SuperSprint is the largest diameter you can get off the shelf.
Thanks man! Unfortunate but looking forward to rebuilding it to make it better.

I'm already running the HJS sportscat and a Lightweight performance muffler. They seem to perform pretty well and especially sound good. Any particular reason behind your suggestion for exhaust size?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 03:46 AM   #8
Nickz95
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
That is a scary looking race course. With all of those close walls there is no margin for error.

I'm curious, what are you using to gather the information on oil pressure? What data acquisition are you using?
Yes, that's why it's so highly regarded by race drivers and teams all over the world. Lucky to get the chance to drive it, not many do.

The data was taken using BM3, nothing special. Tuned using the platform and can use it for this purpose too with the app. Have something else to gather some of the main data needed for on track planned, but this is good for checking the performance of the tune itself.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 03:54 PM   #9
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickz95 View Post
Thanks man! Unfortunate but looking forward to rebuilding it to make it better.

I'm already running the HJS sportscat and a Lightweight performance muffler. They seem to perform pretty well and especially sound good. Any particular reason behind your suggestion for exhaust size?
More power and headroom
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 12:23 PM   #10
Lingling
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Damm Oil Pressure dropped below idle…. Yikes that’ll do it for the n55. I’m gonna do MMR baffle soon
      04-26-2023, 09:36 AM   #11
rgriffin
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

I'm also planning to do the MMR baffle as well, M2 conversion is a little too pricey for a car that's 99% daily driven. I would be curious to see if anyone has any logs with the MMR baffle in long sweepers. I've seen some people comment that while the baffle improves pressure during breaking, it doesn't do much for sustained high G turns.

I am also curious how all of you are logging oil pressure, aftermarket sensor being used? I can't seem to get oil temp or pressure readings through my OBDII port.
Appreciate 0