THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing First track day

06-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #23
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
Great that your getting her out to the track! nice videos.

I thought that the Pilot Super Sports were standard on the M235?
They are but many of us get the RFT because the dealership decided to change them...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #24
Uponone76
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Congrats on the first track day!

I'm guessing you're using a Go Pro camera. How did you mount it and to what?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #25
patbrass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB, 6MT

Thanks for sharing - it definitely makes me wanting to track my M235i later this summer!

But I also have to say that I'm surprised that you have not pushed your car closer to its limit...not sure you went over 6,000 RPM once

I understand that you can't drive like a maniac and risk crashing but there are some straights where I would have pushed it to its redline. But that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #26
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Nothing more satisfying then being on the track and passing cars; especially more expensive ones . I loved when the instructor asked if you wanted to take traction control off and you immediately answered "NO". Good for you to trusting your comfort level and not his. You looked very good on the track and should feel very good about your effort.

The one thing I found when learning to drive on a track is that you do learn a lot about high speed driving and how a car handles doing it. As you grow, you will learn how to make the car behave differently in situations. Simple things such as trail braking and throttle lifting to transfer car weighting gives you more control and allows you to perform techniques that will make you faster. If you ever decide to get into actual racing your skills will increase 10 fold, and learn about driving lines that are not just for maximum speed but for setting up for passes.

With all that, I really never enjoyed the auto racing as much as I do watching professionals racing. The skills and ability they have are so superior to anything I could every be capable of. To this day, I still enjoy driving in the "wild" on remote roadways at a pace that is more comfortable for me then driving on a track. The scenery of actual public roads are so much more enjoyable then the professional track blandness. The skills learned on the track I take with me during these times. Though I haven't found too many occasions to execute a four wheel drift on public roads .
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #27
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patbrass View Post
Thanks for sharing - it definitely makes me wanting to track my M235i later this summer!

But I also have to say that I'm surprised that you have not pushed your car closer to its limit...not sure you went over 6,000 RPM once

I understand that you can't drive like a maniac and risk crashing but there are some straights where I would have pushed it to its redline. But that's just me.
There's no real point in pushing these cars to redline. HP and Torque have already peaked around 6k.

PatBrass, I see that your from Washington. Plan to track yours when it arrives? The Ridge in Shelton is an amazing track. Much better in my opinion than Pacific raceways. I'm lucky enough to live in Olympia about 25 minutes from The Ridge. I've tracked my 335 at all the local tracks but was always afraid to push it really hard, being $50,000 and my daily driver...so I bought an S2000 that I might be a little more willing to push closer to the limit...and it has a limited Slip Differential. win.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #28
patbrass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
There's no real point in pushing these cars to redline. HP and Torque have already peaked around 6k.

PatBrass, I see that your from Washington. Plan to track yours when it arrives? The Ridge in Shelton is an amazing track. Much better in my opinion than Pacific raceways. I'm lucky enough to live in Olympia about 25 minutes from The Ridge. I've tracked my 335 at all the local tracks but was always afraid to push it really hard, being $50,000 and my daily driver...so I bought an S2000 that I might be a little more willing to push closer to the limit...and it has a limited Slip Differential. win.
The Ridge looks like an awesome place - thanks for sharing! It's almost 2h from my place but I'll sure take a look eventually. I'm planning to attend a "One-Day-High-Performance-Driving" session at Pacific Raceways later this summer (my friend got a gift card and I'll go as well): http://proformanceracingschool.com/o...mance-driving/

I totally get that tracking your $50k DD is not for the faint of heart. And I will probably take it easy...but at the same time I firmly believe you can push your car pretty hard on a track in a safe and responsible way so we'll see. My car is scheduled to arrive late July (fingers crossed) and after the break-in, I'll see how I feel about tracking it this summer or if I'll just pony up another $500 to rent one of their cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #29
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbrass View Post

You have probably watched only the first 2-3 laps. I was doing full speed later on
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #30
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
Nothing more satisfying then being on the track and passing cars; especially more expensive ones . I loved when the instructor asked if you wanted to take traction control off and you immediately answered "NO". Good for you to trusting your comfort level and not his. You looked very good on the track and should feel very good about your effort.

The one thing I found when learning to drive on a track is that you do learn a lot about high speed driving and how a car handles doing it. As you grow, you will learn how to make the car behave differently in situations. Simple things such as trail braking and throttle lifting to transfer car weighting gives you more control and allows you to perform techniques that will make you faster. If you ever decide to get into actual racing your skills will increase 10 fold, and learn about driving lines that are not just for maximum speed but for setting up for passes.

With all that, I really never enjoyed the auto racing as much as I do watching professionals racing. The skills and ability they have are so superior to anything I could every be capable of. To this day, I still enjoy driving in the "wild" on remote roadways at a pace that is more comfortable for me then driving on a track. The scenery of actual public roads are so much more enjoyable then the professional track blandness. The skills learned on the track I take with me during these times. Though I haven't found too many occasions to execute a four wheel drift on public roads .
Yes I was not ready yet to remove traction control on the second session but I did it on the 3rd one and the car felt better.

For me it was not much about learning how to do the best lap, it was more to be able to have fun with my own car on a private track where I don't have to deal with traffic laws
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:08 AM   #31
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i 12/2007

Loved watching your track day. Thanks for posting!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #32
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep

Just added the session 3!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #33
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY14 MG M235i 8-AT

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
wow im only like 2 mins through the first video and so jealous right now!!! looks like so much fun. Thanks for posting these

3 says unavailable right now tho... so u know

you have 1 hour to fix
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #34
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep

Video 3 is processing.

Also, if you are going on a track, don't forget to use the BMW Lap Timer on your iPhone. Pretty handy!

If you have the app, you can download my datas here: http://cl.ly/2k1c2x2q0x3P

Best lap was 1.58.52
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #35
Crispen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 and BMW Conti Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyinko View Post
Video 3 is processing.

Also, if you are going on a track, don't forget to use the BMW Lap Timer on your iPhone. Pretty handy!

If you have the app, you can download my datas here: http://cl.ly/2k1c2x2q0x3P

Best lap was 1.58.52
Hi - Is there a Laptimer for Android? I cannot find it.

Also - I strongly recommend you learn to keep your hands on the wheel at all times. I saw you constantly shuffle your hands back and forth. This is a bad habit for track time.
Keep your hands such that your thumbs are interlocked with the wheel. It may feel awkward at first, but once you get used to it, you will never go back.

For your first track day I am very impressed with your lines.

Do not worry at all about your lap times. They will fall as your learning how to manage your car.

I recommend letting someone take you around (in your own car perhaps) so you can feel what it is like closer to the limit. It can be a tad scary but should show you what the car can do.

I also recommend you go to a skip pad and just try to spin the car. You would be amazed at how much you can learn from just being out there by yourself.

Greg
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #36
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispen View Post
Hi - Is there a Laptimer for Android? I cannot find it.

Also - I strongly recommend you learn to keep your hands on the wheel at all times. I saw you constantly shuffle your hands back and forth. This is a bad habit for track time.
Keep your hands such that your thumbs are interlocked with the wheel. It may feel awkward at first, but once you get used to it, you will never go back.

For your first track day I am very impressed with your lines.

Do not worry at all about your lap times. They will fall as your learning how to manage your car.

I recommend letting someone take you around (in your own car perhaps) so you can feel what it is like closer to the limit. It can be a tad scary but should show you what the car can do.

I also recommend you go to a skip pad and just try to spin the car. You would be amazed at how much you can learn from just being out there by yourself.

Greg
Thanks for your advices!

Regarding the M LapTimer, I don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #37
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

I was yelling at the screen to keep your hands at 10 and 2, and don't take them off, you have the flappy paddle thing, its at least good for that. Don't keep your hands at 11 and 3. You should have enough rotation with your arms that you never have to change position.
Decent lines for your first time out for sure. But your not even coming close to pushing the car, doesn't matter at this point, first time out is pretty freaky.

Learn the maximum stopping power of your brakes, take a lap while no one is behind you and discover how much you can push them (change from the stock fluid first). You'll be amazed at where the limit is.

You should really only need 3rd and 4th gear in this car. Crap sorry forgot 7 spd, I dunno maybe 4th and 5th?! Silly flappy paddles.
Seems like your 'instructors' really sucked, no feed back really at all and not catching the hands is amateur stuff! When my instructor sucks even in the advanced group I ask for someone else, if I'm not getting feed back or critiqued i'm not learning.

Have fun and get some track tires if you don't have them already - I recommend the ZII's, they give great feed back.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #38
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender_ View Post
I was yelling at the screen to keep your hands at 10 and 2, and don't take them off, you have the flappy paddle thing, its at least good for that. Don't keep your hands at 11 and 3. You should have enough rotation with your arms that you never have to change position.
Decent lines for your first time out for sure. But your not even coming close to pushing the car, doesn't matter at this point, first time out is pretty freaky.

Learn the maximum stopping power of your brakes, take a lap while no one is behind you and discover how much you can push them (change from the stock fluid first). You'll be amazed at where the limit is.

You should really only need 3rd and 4th gear in this car. Crap sorry forgot 7 spd, I dunno maybe 4th and 5th?! Silly flappy paddles.
Seems like your 'instructors' really sucked, no feed back really at all and not catching the hands is amateur stuff! When my instructor sucks even in the advanced group I ask for someone else, if I'm not getting feed back or critiqued i'm not learning.

Have fun and get some track tires if you don't have them already - I recommend the ZII's, they give great feed back.
Thanks for your feedback.

I know now for the hands, will be on the lookout for the next time.

Regarding the brakes, I have to change breaking fluids and brake pads first. I don't like the brakes behaves on my M235i, even on a regular road.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #39
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyinko View Post
Thanks for your feedback.

I know now for the hands, will be on the lookout for the next time.

Regarding the brakes, I have to change breaking fluids and brake pads first. I don't like the brakes behaves on my M235i, even on a regular road.
Not surprised, when I had my 135i, they actually felt good but they could not hold up at the track, after 15min they where done.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #40
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
This is awesome, makes me post that I don't live in Cali. Cant wait to get my 2 and take it to the track!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #41
epic
M Comp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
To the guy referencing 10 and 2, why?

Our dealership just hosted a track day and the track instructors as well as the BMW drivers also demonstrated 9 and 3 and told both classes that this is optimal.

Other references:
http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_steering
http://yel.pca.org/the-correct-driving-position/
http://www.sccawiregrass.org/mistakes.html

Great laps - I plan on doing a driving school later this summer in my car!

Last edited by epic; 06-05-2014 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #42
jbenderhof
Rep
Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

Our dealership just hosted a track day and the track instructors as well as the BMW drivers also demonstrated 9 and 3 and told both classes that this is optimal.

Other references:
http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_steering
http://yel.pca.org/the-correct-driving-position/
http://www.sccawiregrass.org/mistakes.html

Great laps - I plan on doing a driving school later this summer in my car!
Yeah, 9 and 3. Don't hold the fat thing, your thumb goes between it and the spoke, or on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #43
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

Ya i was multitasking and not paying attention to what i was writing, actully thought about it a few hours later and was going to update the post then said aw fuck it LOL
Yes 9 and 3, thumbs just on the top of the "T".
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #44
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

LOL I love the instructor constantly pushing you to overtake!