THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions M235i trunk wont stay closed after pulling emergency release

10-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #1
theWibbler
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i, 08' 128i vert

M235i trunk wont stay closed after pulling emergency release

My trunk got stuck closed, at the time it was constantly alerting that it was open. When I went to access the trunk the motor would make a stuttering/firing noise then give out.

I ended up removing the rear seats and pulling the emergency trunk release.

After doing so I cannot get the emergency trunk release to return to its original position with tension, I can shove it in but the wire remains loose.

Additionally, the trunk motor still fails to open the trunk, it makes the same firing noise the trunk still says it is open, and the only way to open it is to pull the emergency release.

This happened 3 weeks ago, I have been using my 1 series for long trips.

I'd like to figure out how to resolve this today as I am going on a 600 mile drive this weekend.

Do you think the trunk motor is failing or has something stuck in it, or perhaps the emergency trunk release not being taut is causing issues?

I am also wondering if the battery just inst low, granted the car runs/starts.

If I cannot resolve the issue today do you think it is safe to drive without fear the trunk will open?

It doesnt appear fully closed but does latch, there is about half a CM or less that you can push the trunk down further.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
theWibbler
Rep

Also, I bought the car CPO and have the extended CPO warranty (thank god, blew my engine in February). Would the warranty cover the trunk motor?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #3
theWibbler
Rep

update, pulled th emergency trunk release to open it, the clip came off and the metal wire plus what I assume is an electrical wire (wrapped in black tubing) came out. Trunk wont open at all anymore. About to take a bat to this POS
Appreciate 0