THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB '16 228i N26 Oil & Spark Plug Question

06-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #1
CallMeDan_Thanks
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i xDrive

Question '16 228i N26 Oil & Spark Plug Question

Hey everyone!

Looking to do oil and spark plugs this weekend since I'm coming up on 45k and that's where I've read the spark plugs need changed, or at minimum looked at.

I wanted to see what other people with N26s have been using for oil and spark plug changes. I've read a lot of great things about Castrol Edge 0W-30, and getting spark plugs that are higher performance.

Background info:
State - Maryland (so, generally really hot summers, really cold winters, mild Fall/Spring)
Modifications - BMS Stage 1, Injen CAI, VRSF Charge Pipe, Active Autowerke F Chassis Intercooler

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Make sure whatever oil you buy has the American Petroleum Institute (API) rating of "SN." "S" stands for "spark" aka gas engines. The "N" means the oil is designed for engines with a turbo. The turbo lubricated and cooled by the oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Make sure whatever oil you buy has the American Petroleum Institute (API) rating of "SN." "S" stands for "spark" aka gas engines. The "N" means the oil is designed for engines with a turbo. The turbo lubricated and cooled by the oil.
There are quite a few conventional oils that meet the SN spec and a few that meet the SN Plus spec (such as Castrol GTX high mileage), basically SN is not adequate as the only spec for current BMW engines. The oil needs to be a full synthetic and it is advisable to meet the appropriate BMW spec, too.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

NGK SILZKBR8D8S plugs are "high power." Free lifetime replacement from FCP Euro. You can also get your oil filter (& oil) there:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...plug-ngk-96987

Castrol Edge full synthetic European formula 0W30 or 5W30 will work & usually available at Walmart or local big box auto stores. Dealer was using BMW/Castrol full sunthetic 5W30 for free maintenance oil changes.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nance/Hb9JyWsG

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nce/1VnYhFytp4

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...enance/1PSryV8
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
There are quite a few conventional oils that meet the SN spec and a few that meet the SN Plus spec (such as Castrol GTX high mileage), basically SN is not adequate as the only spec for current BMW engines. The oil needs to be a full synthetic and it is advisable to meet the appropriate BMW spec, too.
You are correct-it's not the only spec that an owner needs to be aware of.

OP, buy what the dealer puts in the engine. And buy an oil filter made by Mann.
Appreciate 0