THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Question about diminished value due to accident damage

04-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #23
Sir Thomas Bombadil
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMc View Post
I would press the other driver's insurance for a diminished value claim. The repair for this accident is likely going to show up on your vehicle's history. When you go to sell, there will be some potential buyers that won't even consider buying the car. Others are going to expect a discount.

I have had good luck getting with diminished value claims -- all with other driver's insurance companies as I haven't had to make a claim on my insurance. I was able to get a substantial diminished value claim on my e46 after I was t-boned in my driveway. When I eventually sold that car, it was difficult and I did take a hit. More recently, my elderly father's truck was hit in their parking garage. Cosmetic damage like yours, but we still got a diminished value payment of around $4K.

In addition to the diminished value, you should pick the repair shop. Insist that the repair be done properly by someone you trust.

Expect a fight and be willing to expend some effort to get this done. An integral part of the insurance business model is to minimize claims.

I ended up doing this inadvertently when I told my dealership I might be interested in another car. Someone scraped my front bumper a few months ago (while my car was parked) and their insurance corrected the paint damage. That got listed on my CarFax and BMW told me that their offer would've been $1,000 higher but for the accident on Carfax.

Definitely not a bad way to get a ballpark.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #24
nobelium27
Not so new anymore
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 228i m-sport

Thanks everyone for your input. They're very helpful to read through.

For a little more detail, I am located in CO and the insurance company I will be dealing with is USAA (person at fault's insurance).

I was contacted by the insurance adjuster last Friday who left a voicemail that they take full liability. I called back but was not able to reach him - left a voicemail, but was not contacted as of yet.

I am planning to go to a local bmw dealership to get an estimate for a repair with oem replacement parts and get a thorough checkup as is required to keep the warranty. While I'm there I will also ask them to value the car as repaired and maybe get an opinion what it may have been prior to the accident (I think it'll be a good start on estimating DV).

I will keep this updated as I go and keep you guys posted.

Thanks again for all the information.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 05:57 PM   #25
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobelium27 View Post

For a little more detail, I am located in CO and the insurance company I will be dealing with is USAA (person at fault's insurance).

I was contacted by the insurance adjuster last Friday who left a voicemail that they take full liability. I called back but was not able to reach him - left a voicemail, but was not contacted as of yet.

I am planning to go to a local bmw dealership to get an estimate for a repair with oem replacement parts and get a thorough checkup as is required to keep the warranty. While I'm there I will also ask them to value the car as repaired and maybe get an opinion what it may have been prior to the accident (I think it'll be a good start on estimating DV).

It may be implied by your plan, but I suggest being sure to find an actual BMW Certified body shop. It is your right to choose your preferred shop. Not all BMW dealers may be associated/work most with Certified shops.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #26
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
It may be implied by your plan, but I suggest being sure to find an actual BMW Certified body shop. It is your right to choose your preferred shop. Not all BMW dealers may be associated/work most with Certified shops.
This (above) is a must.

USAA is a great company. I have been a member for many years.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:59 PM   #27
nobelium27
Not so new anymore
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I wasn't aware of that. I'll make sure the dealership is certified. But yes, Colorado allows me to choose afaik so I do plan to shop around before choosing the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMc View Post
Quote:
This (above) is a must.

USAA is a great company. I have been a member for many years.
I was somewhat relieved to find out he had USAA. So far, they haven't been so great. We'll see if that applies to non-members as well
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:15 PM   #28
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't aware of that. I'll make sure the dealership is certified. But yes, Colorado allows me to choose afaik so I do plan to shop around before choosing the shop.
Just for clarity, it’s not the dealership; it’s the body shop and may have no connection to the BMW dealer, but has earned BMW certification.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:48 PM   #29
sandrik93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i RWD

I had over 5K in damage after hit and run on my 2016 228i. Fully replaced door. My insurance covered it. Traded it in. Same value as it would've been with the original door. I assume it depends who you're dealing with.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #30
nobelium27
Not so new anymore
Rep

Just spoke to the adjuster. I will be going to a delearship recommended body shop for the estimate. Rental will be provided while the car is in the shop ($40/day for a "luxury class"). They're sending me a form for diminished value for me to fill out. I'll keep y'all posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #31
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Just spoke to the adjuster. I will be going to a delearship recommended body shop for the estimate. Rental will be provided while the car is in the shop ($40/day for a "luxury class"). They're sending me a form for diminished value for me to fill out. I'll keep y'all posted.
https://www.bmwofdenverdowntown.com/...rks-by-mmi.htm

There is only one in your state I would consider. Happens to be associated with a dealership.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #32
nobelium27
Not so new anymore
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
https://www.bmwofdenverdowntown.com/...rks-by-mmi.htm

There is only one in your state I would consider. Happens to be associated with a dealership.
Now that you mention it, the one they recommend doesn't seem to be certified. I'll have to call them back and talk to them switching to a different location.

I am located in Colorado Springs so Denver one isn't out of the question, but a tough one to go to on weekdays.

Edit: Just did some extra research and it kinda gets mouthful about the center I'm currently appointed to. Bmw dealership that is certified is no longer doing body work, but the body shop has been "approved to [bmw dealership's] sponsored certified collision center" and that they use oem parts and bmw certified paint system.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #33
nobelium27
Not so new anymore
Rep

Just an update so whoever goes through this have a general idea.

Since the accident in April 25, 2019, I had the car fixed at a local BMW certified body shop in June 2019. It required bumper replacement, repaint trunk, and some rear body panel repair, totaling $4000. I made sure to take a lot of pictures of the damage and requested additional images from the body shop.

I'd submitted diminished value claim back in May 2019, but the insurance company (USAA) asked to wait until the car was fixed. However, due to some back injury from the accident, I waited for all treatment and settlement for the bodily injury was settled (with a lawyer) to pursue the DIV.

I talked to the insurance adjuster about 3 weeks ago and they contacted their 3rd party appraiser (Alacrity Solutions) and they contacted me last Friday with around $530. I am not happy with the value they came up with, but the adjuster mentioned that the value is non-negotiable and the only way to "negotiate" is to get an appraisal of my own, then take them to court. I am not sure how true that is, but I am leaning towards taking their DIV as I am not looking forward to spending money on my own appraisal and the court time.

Sorry for the late update, hope this helps others. At this point, I've scratched the idea of getting an upgrade to m240i or an m2, and plan to drive it to the ground.

Here's how it looks now after ripping off the vinyl and putting a raail airwrap on it (plastidip equivalent):

Last edited by nobelium27; 10-19-2020 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: added images
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 07:17 AM   #34
wetzie
Rep
Drives: 230i XDrive vert

Looks good! I hope it drives the same and you enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 07:42 AM   #35
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:

I talked to the insurance adjuster about 3 weeks ago and they contacted their 3rd party appraiser (Alacrity Solutions) and they contacted me last Friday with around $530. I am not happy with the value they came up with, but the adjuster mentioned that the value is non-negotiable and the only way to "negotiate" is to get an appraisal of my own, then take them to court.
First and foremost, diminished value claims are always negotiable.

I don't care what they say, stand their ground etc.

You are absolutely correct with $530 being pitifully low, and you are going to lose a lot more than that when you sell the car with that accident on it's Carfax.

It is extremely easy to prove just how much value has been lost by a particular accident as well if you are willing to spend a couple hours doing research and getting appraisals.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #36
nobelium27
Not so new anymore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattanooga240 View Post
First and foremost, diminished value claims are always negotiable.

I don't care what they say, stand their ground etc.

You are absolutely correct with $530 being pitifully low, and you are going to lose a lot more than that when you sell the car with that accident on it's Carfax.

It is extremely easy to prove just how much value has been lost by a particular accident as well if you are willing to spend a couple hours doing research and getting appraisals.
I guess I just don't really know how to proceed with the negotiation. I'd done some market research and kbb value check and I believe it should be somewhere from 1-2k of loss. The problem is that it's not what I can show them, it's what they are willing to believe.

I think I'll give the adjuster a call and try to negotiate, but I'm not confident and I'm not eager to spend money on appraisal if this has to go to court. Appreciate your input.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #37
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
I guess I just don't really know how to proceed with the negotiation. I'd done some market research and kbb value check and I believe it should be somewhere from 1-2k of loss. The problem is that it's not what I can show them, it's what they are willing to believe.

I think I'll give the adjuster a call and try to negotiate, but I'm not confident and I'm not eager to spend money on appraisal if this has to go to court. Appreciate your input.
All it will take is a couple dealer appraisals of what your car is worth with the accident on it's history. (Those are free, any dealer would provide that if you were going to trade) Keep in mind, no dealer will sell your car with that on it's Carfax, it will go straight to the auction. (Hence the diminished value)

Then provide what trade in value would be under normal conditions.

Your estimate of 1-2k is correct, and the mention of legal action would compel them to do the right thing in this regard. (They do not want you filling legal action over this, they will ultimately lose, then pay your legal fees)

It's not worth the extra time on anyone's part, they will throw the extra few bucks at you then be on their way. Stay confident, and iterate that you are not settling for less than it will cost to make you whole.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #38
nobelium27
Not so new anymore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattanooga240 View Post
All it will take is a couple dealer appraisals of what your car is worth with the accident on it's history. (Those are free, any dealer would provide that if you were going to trade) Keep in mind, no dealer will sell your car with that on it's Carfax, it will go straight to the auction. (Hence the diminished value)

Then provide what trade in value would be under normal conditions.

Your estimate of 1-2k is correct, and the mention of legal action would compel them to do the right thing in this regard. (They do not want you filling legal action over this, they will ultimately lose, then pay your legal fees)

It's not worth the extra time on anyone's part, they will throw the extra few bucks at you then be on their way. Stay confident, and iterate that you are not settling for less than it will cost to make you whole.
Really appreciate giving me the confidence. I'll be assertive about taking more actions regardless. I'll update the thread once I speak to them and have a response. Thanks again!
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2020, 02:00 PM   #39
nobelium27
Not so new anymore
Rep

Small update.

I spoke to an adjuster at USAA (not the one assigned to me since she's never available), and I was told that I have to send in documents (nothing specific, any document that would change "their" evaluation) and they'd forward it to the 3rd party appraiser (Alacrity Solution). I asked multiple times to confirm what USAA is doing with this claim and all they would say is they'd relieve the information to the 3rd party. Although they said they wouldn't negotiate unless it goes to court, it seemed like the negotiation is with the 3rd party, not with USAA. I'm not even sure if there would be a negotiation because the document I would provide would go into their "system" which would spit out a random number.

I'm frustrated and don't really know where to go. Only info I have so far is the kbb cash offers with accident and w/o accident (difference of $2k) that I had grabbed last year at the time of the accident (unfortunately the offer emails do not include the detail on accident).

On a sidenote, I received the check from USAA of $530 yesterday. I have not cashed it and don't plan to until I am finished with this claim.
Appreciate 0