THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Seat removal questions

10-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #1
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Seat removal questions

I have the new Terra Dacota interior arriving tomorrow for my F23.

Existing and new seats are heated.

Do I need to disconnect the battery to unclip the connector under the seats?

Is there a memory issue where I should make sure the new seat starts at the same spot on the rail as the seat coming out?

All seats and door cards are coming out, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
      10-08-2020, 10:27 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Best to disconnect the battery to avoid any issue of having to reset the airbag warning light if the car is energized while the seat airbag is disconnected.

I was going to post the seat removal instructions from newtis.info, but unfortunately it looks like it was shutdown literally in the past few hours due to BMW objecting to the site breaking their copyright.
Appreciate 1
TonM3247.50
      10-08-2020, 11:57 PM   #3
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

The seats and most of the interior is all very self explanatory. The only "trick" to taking out the front seats is to wait to disconnect the battery and plugs until after you have all 4 bolts out. It isn't totally necessary, but it makes it easier because you adjust the seat forward or back to expose the bolt more.

The rear seat bottoms and the rear cards all just need a firm and confident tug. The only thing I haven't taken out is the front cards.

You will also need largeish torx bits. I'm pretty sure the rear seat backs are a 45. The fronts are in the t35-t45 range.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 1
TonM3247.50
      10-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #4
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Seats are in. Ran out of energy to do the front door cards.
      10-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am getting an airbag error code though. Seems odd unless it is an error from the seat airbags.

My Carista app says successfully reset but code returns.
      10-09-2020, 07:17 PM   #6
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonM3 View Post
I am getting an airbag error code though. Seems odd unless it is an error from the seat airbags.

Was the plug on the new seats the same as the old with the same pins populated, fully seated and the battery disconnected while the swap was done?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 07:43 PM   #7
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Quote:

Was the plug on the new seats the same as the old with the same pins populated, fully seated and the battery disconnected while the swap was done?
Quote:
Quote:

I did not check the pin configuration but the options were the same.
The driver seat plug may not have been fully seated, but the error code is coming up for both sides.

Update: Fixed by steve@codemybimmer. Just needed to code the seat modules to my car.
      10-09-2020, 10:46 PM   #8
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

The driver seat plug may not have been fully seated, but the error code is coming up for both sides.
Before and after
      10-09-2020, 10:56 PM   #9
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Before and after
Let's try again
Attached Images

11-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #10
Dlp5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i xDrive

Garage List
Sooo, I'm late to the party . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8_M235i View Post
The seats and most of the interior is all very self explanatory. The only "trick" to taking out the front seats is to wait to disconnect the battery and plugs until after you have all 4 bolts out. It isn't totally necessary, but it makes it easier because you adjust the seat forward or back to expose the bolt more.

The rear seat bottoms and the rear cards all just need a firm and confident tug. The only thing I haven't taken out is the front cards.

You will also need largeish torx bits. I'm pretty sure the rear seat backs are a 45. The fronts are in the t35-t45 range.
What happens if you had a wobble in your driver's seat, and you read this AFTER your hubby has already taken out the seat, and reinstalled it, and you receive the pesky Restraint System Error . . . Obviously we didn't know about disconnecting the battery. What steps can we take now?

Oh, and we still have the wobble. It was fixed once by the dealership while it was under warranty, but that ran out 6 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #11
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlp5 View Post
Quote:

What happens if you had a wobble in your driver's seat, and you read this AFTER your hubby has already taken out the seat, and reinstalled it, and you receive the pesky Restraint System Error . . . Obviously we didn't know about disconnecting the battery. What steps can we take now?

Oh, and we still have the wobble. It was fixed once by the dealership while it was under warranty, but that ran out 6 months ago.
The wobble is just not tightening it down enough. slide it all the way forward and you can tighten the front and all the way back and you can do the front. I would put some locktight on the bolts.
The restraint warning is more complex. depends on what caused it.
If it was from unplugging while still having the battery connected then it is probably the same same simple coding I had Steve steve@codemybimmer do.

You would need a laptop and a cable.
      11-14-2020, 10:54 PM   #12
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlp5 View Post
Quote:

Any bmw scan tool will be able to clear the restraint warning. My $100 Amazon one can.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0