THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Auto-dimming mirror w/ garage opener retrofit

10-05-2020, 10:33 PM   #1
boxdotjpeg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Garage List
Auto-dimming mirror w/ garage opener retrofit

Waddup! Just picked up my car last week and couldn't help but do a few DIY's on it. My car came with the manual dimming mirror stock, which made me realize that this was the only car I had now that doesn't have a built in garage door opener! Ugh. After a week of my clip opener falling off when I put up my windshield sun shade, I decided to research it. I didn't find much information on this project, especially for F22, so I figured I would just go ahead and do it then post the results. I completed this retrofit by splicing into the 3 rain sensor wires because my mirror had no electronics previously.

Numbers correspond with the picture order, new to posting here.
1. Picked up this mirror for $45 locally. It came off of a 2013 Activehybrid 3. Pretty dirty, but no damage to the mirror.
2. On the new mirror, unclip the bottom of the connector for the mirror harness so that you can use a pick tool to remove the wires from the connector.
3. Here are the cables all separated from the plastic piece. I am only using the brown, red, and black/white wires on the new mirror since I am connecting to the rain sensor. I put heat shrink tubing on the blue wire just to cap it off since I won't have any use for it.
4. I decided that the wires weren't long enough for what I planned on doing, so I just extended the cables by about 4 inches by soldering 22 gauge wire to the pins, then covering the wires in color coded shrink-tube wrap.
5. After my unnecessary beautification, I found some t-splices in my garage and figured those would work great.
6. I connected the other ends of the t-splices to the rain sensor cable. The wiring of the mirror and rain sensor are as follows: Red and Red/white are +, Black/White and Violet/Grey are LIN, and Brown and Brown/Black are ground. These are the pairs for splicing.
7. After I plugged everything in to the correct terminals, the mirror immediately started working and showing the compass. After that, I put the plastic housing back behind the mirror, and everything was hidden perfectly. I was able to immediately program my garages and gate without any coding.

Overall, super easy mod and an amazing upgrade for the price! Super happy with the results. I know I have seen mentions of errors coming up in BimmerCode, which I haven't checked for yet. I will update when I check that.
Attached Images

Last edited by boxdotjpeg; 10-05-2020 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rollo`124.00
      10-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
c72k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Nice. I just picked up my M235 and also having the same problem with the remote falling off the visor. Have been checking eBay for used mirror, and will be doing the same
Appreciate 0