THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Need help - new VRSF intercooler and stubborn boost leak

09-25-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Need help - new VRSF intercooler and stubborn boost leak

So I need some help fellas, my indy just installed a new VRSF intercooler in my '16 M235i and we have been trying to track down a stubborn boost leak. See logs below before and after IC install - MHD stage 2 flash tune.

Before install I had no problems coming close to targets but since install I can't seem to sustain more than 11lbs of boost after 5k rpm. We started with brand new O rings (stock) and moved on to upsized ones per some F30 forum recommendations. Indy has smoke tested AND pressure tested and state that nothing is obviously leaking all the way to 20PSI. While logs have improved they say I am still 4 PSI under target after 5100 rpm. They are stumped at this point. Is it possible the IC itself is leaking b/c next idea is to drop it and fill it with water to test? I've reached out to VRSF but nothing back yet. Any thoughts on other things we should check?

8/29 - pre install - you can see it hits 15lbs of boost at 5100 rpm - this tune is load based so the boost targets are not expected to be exactly met.

https://datazap.me/u/chrisinfla/log-...=0&data=3-4-13

Here is post install - also stg 2 tune but the E20 version - MHD says its same boost tgt but runs higher timing due to the E85. Huge boost drop at 5k RPMs - they reviewed and said something won't hold sustained pressure.

https://datazap.me/u/chrisinfla/log-...=0&data=3-4-15
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 11:48 PM   #2
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

I’m betting it’s an IC leak, unless there is a leak in the boost pipes themselves
Appreciate 0