THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Hit the Road JACK and don't you come home no more !

04-15-2022, 08:56 PM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

Hit the Road JACK and don't you come home no more !

In the immortal words of Ray Charles "Hit The Road Jack !"

I have an upcoming project (fitting of alloy gators) amongst other things, SO I need to look at jacking arrangements and that kinda shiznit

SO what I am looking for advise no is the below

1> A good quality, meant for purpose JACK
2> I have jack stands
3> I understand I need to get some jack pads
3a> I was wondering if I should get a set for the car (4 ? is it) and bond/glue them in so any hack with anykinda jack wont bust up the points

Many txs, just remember I am "NOT" in the US, so any recommendations for supplier pls note, (I'm in Canadia eh!)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 09:09 PM   #2
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post

I have an upcoming project (fitting of alloy gators) amongst other things, SO I need to look at jacking arrangements and that kinda shiznit

2> I have jack stands
3a> I was wondering if I should get a set for the car (4 ? is it) and bond/glue them in so any hack with anykinda jack wont bust up the points

Many txs, just remember I am "NOT" in the US, so any recommendations for supplier pls note, (I'm in Canadia eh!)
Harbor Freight
3 ton low profile extended reach jack can be had for around $200 USD
Appreciate 2
nazali1311.50
celsdogg324.50
      04-15-2022, 09:12 PM   #3
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

also do I need a "LOW-PROFILE" Jack like a race jack, I'm seeing some really expensive jacks and some cheap ones

many thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 09:13 PM   #4
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

no harbor freight, txs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcmtnbkr View Post
Harbor Freight
3 ton low profile extended reach jack can be had for around $200 USD
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 09:14 PM   #5
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Remember not to use the jack as a support, only to lift. 9 times out of 10 it would be fine but it just takes that one time right? I'm guilty of it too but it's not safe. Having the car on a level and solid surface should be a given.

I recommend a low profile jack, regardless if your car is lowered or not. It makes life so much easier. Costco, Partsource, Canadian Tire have some quality jacks. Look for sales if you aren't in a rush.

Jack stands with a C or V shaped head are really called axle stands. Flat topped jacks are real ones, ESCO makes a quality set. You can get by with either but expect chewed up plastic pads with misshaped contact points.

I picked up an adapter from Amazon but it's the skunkiest rubber I've ever smelled.

Also to add, our version of Harbor Freight is basically Princess Auto. And they do also carry jacks.
Appreciate 1
nazali1311.50
      04-15-2022, 09:21 PM   #6
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
also do I need a "LOW-PROFILE" Jack like a race jack, I'm seeing some really expensive jacks and some cheap ones

many thanks
I have found that its the easiest these cars sit so low that if you want to use the front cross member brace to jack up the car it works the best still have to either drive up on a small block of wood to get the jack far enough under. I use a small jack at the front side jack point to lift the car slightly then I can get far enough under the front of the car.
Appreciate 1
nazali1311.50
      04-15-2022, 09:25 PM   #7
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

txs freaky !

so yes, understand jacking vs jack stand, BUT always good to be reminded
my jack stands are flat top, the tops are similar to the picture (NOT the same but similar)

yes I had forgotton about P.A, I'll look them up to see what they have

Canadian tire has one of these

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Remember not to use the jack as a support, only to lift. 9 times out of 10 it would be fine but it just takes that one time right? I'm guilty of it too but it's not safe. Having the car on a level and solid surface should be a given.

I recommend a low profile jack, regardless if your car is lowered or not. It makes life so much easier. Costco, Partsource, Canadian Tire have some quality jacks. Look for sales if you aren't in a rush.

Jack stands with a C or V shaped head are really called axle stands. Flat topped jacks are real ones, ESCO makes a quality set. You can get by with either but expect chewed up plastic pads with misshaped contact points.

I picked up an adapter from Amazon but it's the skunkiest rubber I've ever smelled.

Also to add, our version of Harbor Freight is basically Princess Auto. And they do also carry jacks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 08:25 AM   #8
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

I have been super happy with my Quickjack compared to jack and stands.
Appreciate 1
nazali1311.50
      04-16-2022, 10:19 AM   #9
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

I got this one and I like it.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-6603ASJ...14420093&psc=1
Also have their smaller roadster
https://www.tooldiscounter.com/produ...k-snx66175fasj
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #10
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:

2> I have jack stands

1a) A high-quality jack that will last you: American Forge and Foundry 1.5-Ton Jack – https://www.affjaxx.com/product-page...m-service-jack; https://www.amazon.com/American-Forg.../dp/B0089NHY9A
1b) A popular, less-expensive alternative: Harbor Freight 1.5 Ton Professional Racing Series Aluminum Floor Jack – https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton...ack-58206.html
1c) When you want top quality and features in a low-profile jack: AC DK13HLQ Hydraulic Floor Jack – https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...ACHYD1_pg2.htm

I have owned all three and have used the American Forge & Foundry and the AC Hydraulics regularly. The AFF is my regular jack, I have the Harbor Freight for backup (have yet to unpack it), and AC Hydraulics flat walked the dog. I sold the AC when I stopped going to the track.

If you get the Harbor Freight jack, you might want to consider this add-on that keeps the jack from lowering itself at an inopportune time (as when the piston seal is failing and the cylinder won't hold hydraulic pressure) or when you want to use the jack as a jack stand: https://zl1addons.com/collections/ac...cts/jack-stops.

Note: the price on the AC is more or less what it's always been. The AFF and HF jack prices have gone up quite a bit since I bought mine (supply chain issues?).

2 & 3) Knowing you already have jack stands, I'd point out that with ESCO jack stands you won't need jack pads. The rubber pads on top of the stands do the job of the aftermarket jack pads. Note that there are two models of the ESCOs: regular (10498) and low-profile (10499). For our cars, the low-profile units are definitely the way to go; with the 10498s at their lowest setting, it looks like you're trying to tip your car over. Seriously. More here: https://reverselogic.ecwid.com/ESCO-...o-17-p30773709.

3a) I've seen it done and have seriously considered doing it myself. If you do fix a set of jack pads into the "support lifting points" (BMW's term), they'll likely become the lowest points on the car between your front and rear tires. Something to be aware of.

-----------------------------

When I got my car I was used to being able to put my vehicles up on four jack stands in just a few minutes. So I had a shop in my region create and install a pair of central, side jack points for me. They make getting the car up onto two or four jack stands super-fast; it takes just a couple of minutes to put the car up on all four ESCOs. Pics and details here: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...00&postcount=1.

Last edited by dradernh; 04-16-2022 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 3
nazali1311.50
F22leo244.00
WolfGTI716.00
      04-16-2022, 01:59 PM   #11
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

WOW,
txs for taking the time out for the in-depth, I will read thoroughly and absorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
1a) A high-quality jack that will last you: American Forge and Foundry 1.5-Ton Jack – https://www.affjaxx.com/product-page...m-service-jack; https://www.amazon.com/American-Forg.../dp/B0089NHY9A
1b) A popular, less-expensive alternative: Harbor Freight 1.5 Ton Professional Racing Series Aluminum Floor Jack – https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton...ack-58206.html
1c) When you want top quality and features in a low-profile jack: AC DK13HLQ Hydraulic Floor Jack – https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...ACHYD1_pg2.htm

I have owned all three and have used the American Forge & Foundry and the AC Hydraulics regularly. The AFF is my regular jack, I have the Harbor Freight for backup (have yet to unpack it), and AC Hydraulics flat walked the dog. I sold the AC when I stopped going to the track.

If you get the Harbor Freight jack, you might want to consider this add-on that keeps the jack from lowering itself at an inopportune time (as when the piston seal is failing and the cylinder won't hold hydraulic pressure) or when you want to use the jack as a jack stand: https://zl1addons.com/collections/ac...cts/jack-stops.

Note: the price on the AC is more or less what it's always been. The AFF and HF jack prices have gone up quite a bit since I bought mine (supply chain issues?).

2 & 3) Knowing you already have jack stands, I'd point out that with ESCO jack stands you won't need jack pads. The rubber pads on top of the stands do the job of the aftermarket jack pads. Note that there are two models of the ESCOs: regular (10498) and low-profile (10499). For our cars, the low-profile units are definitely the way to go; with the 10498s at their lowest setting, it looks like you're trying to tip your car over. Seriously. More here: https://reverselogic.ecwid.com/ESCO-...o-17-p30773709.

3a) I've seen it done and have seriously considered doing it myself. If you do fix a set of jack pads into the "support lifting points" (BMW's term), they'll likely become the lowest points on the car between your front and rear tires. Something to be aware of.

-----------------------------

When I got my car I was used to being able to put my vehicles up on four jack stands in just a few minutes. So I had a shop in my region create and install a pair of central, side jack points for me. They make getting the car up onto two or four jack stands super-fast; it takes just a couple of minutes to put the car up on all four ESCOs. Pics and details here: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...00&postcount=1.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 07:50 PM   #12
analemma
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230i Coupe, Glacier Silver

Trivial to make jack pads out of hockey pucks with a hand saw
Appreciate 1
aerobod3625.50
      04-18-2022, 11:24 PM   #13
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by analemma View Post
Yes, a wood router also made quick work of notching hockey pucks to fit another vehicle jacking points I own. The pucks also fit perfectly in place of the circular rubber pad that many jacks have.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 11:26 PM   #14
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by analemma View Post
Yes, a wood router also made quick work of notching hockey pucks to fit another vehicle jacking points I own. The pucks also fit perfectly in place of the circular rubber pad that many jacks have. Cheap at less than $2 at Canadian Tire.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 07:50 AM   #15
seanroberts000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
I have been super happy with my Quickjack compared to jack and stands.
+1 on Quickjacks!!

Quickjacks are heavy as f@#k, but you can lift quickly, work under them safely, and taking all four wheels off at the same time is SOOOO much faster.

I would only use a racing jack now if needed offsite somewhere— you're not gonna fit QJs in your trunk.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 07:23 PM   #16
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

A 'low profile' jack is really nice. Our cars are so low that unless you run the wheels up on a 2x6 board, you can't get underneath them. Especially if you are using jack pads. (And I really suggest you do use jack pads.)

By 'low profile', I mean a jack with a cup height below 3". Any higher and it won't fit.

I have 3 jacks. An ancient Sears 3 ton that I never use with the BMW anymore because it just won't go underneath unless the car is up on 2x blocks.

I have the HF 1.5 ton that dradernh mentioned. I use that for track days because it's small and light. (It seems to be the de-facto standard track jack.) Not a great jack, but perfectly adequate, and cheap. For occasional use it's fine.

My favorite though is my Arcan XL2T Low Profile jack:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...4333_200514333
Not cheap (dang, that price has jumped...), but it's low, and it's long. The length makes it great for jacking the center lift points on this car. Most jacks won't reach in far enough, or you need to get the car up several inches first. Sadly, I still need to drive car up on 2x6's to reach the front center jack point. This is a very heavy, professional level tool. You are not going to be carrying this in and out of the house. It stays in the garage.

Also, the Esco jack stands are AWESOME. The may look expensive, but they are so nice. Worth every penny.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4413.00