THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Troubleshooting?

05-24-2021, 07:20 AM   #1
Nicksoap
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Unhappy Troubleshooting?

What’s up guys, new to the forums!

I’m having a few issues with my 2016 m235i that I just can’t figure out and hoping for alittle help. The car is FBO with the fab speed exhaust all the way. Forge Motorsport BOV kit, JB4 tuner, BMS intake. I am running map 5 on the tuner. Etc...

My issue is that when I’m driving the car it will jerk forward. I haven’t noticed a pattern to when it does so. It also feels like it has gotten weaker on the throttle. When I throw it in gear (2nd-4th) it sometimes has a weak throttle and if I give it gas it just starts backfiring out the back.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I can answer any questions you guys have about the car.

Last edited by Nicksoap; 05-24-2021 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) for codes. The Service Engine Soon (SES) light is on only when an emission related code is present. If the car has an automatic transmission its computer (EGS) will need to be scanned, also.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #3
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksoap View Post
What’s up guys, new to the forums!

I’m having a few issues with my 2016 m235i that I just can’t figure out and hoping for alittle help. The car is FBO with the fab speed exhaust all the way. Forge Motorsport BOV kit, JB4 tuner, BMS intake. I am running map 5 on the tuner. Etc...

My issue is that when I’m driving the car it will jerk forward. I haven’t noticed a pattern to when it does so. It also feels like it has gotten weaker on the throttle. When I throw it in gear (2nd-4th) it sometimes has a weak throttle and if I give it gas it just starts backfiring out the back.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I can answer any questions you guys have about the car.
Mileage on the car? Last time spark plug was changed?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #4
Nicksoap
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
Mileage on the car? Last time spark plug was changed?
46,000, and I have not changed them. I bought the car with 32,000 miles on it. So unless the previous owner changed them.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 01:01 PM   #5
Nicksoap
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) for codes. The Service Engine Soon (SES) light is on only when an emission related code is present. If the car has an automatic transmission its computer (EGS) will need to be scanned, also.
The service light is on so maybe that’s an issue? When I check the service light on the screen it just says the brake pads and such. And it is a manual transmission
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #6
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The service light is on so maybe that’s an issue? When I check the service light on the screen it just says the brake pads and such. And it is a manual transmission
Highly doubt it has anything to do with brake pads. My rough uneducated guess would be spark plugs. Marco is right, you should do a scan so we are not guessing.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 05:20 PM   #7
Nicksoap
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
Highly doubt it has anything to do with brake pads. My rough uneducated guess would be spark plugs. Marco is right, you should do a scan so we are not guessing.
102001 Air-mass plausibility: air mass too high
118002 Mixture control. Fuel air mixture too rich

I get these codes when I run a test. I know the 102001 is due to my BMS intake and the MAF sensor not being a good mix together (ordered a CTS Turbo intake just waiting for it to be delivered)

Not sure about the mixture control one tho?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #8
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
102001 Air-mass plausibility: air mass too high
118002 Mixture control. Fuel air mixture too rich

I get these codes when I run a test. I know the 102001 is due to my BMS intake and the MAF sensor not being a good mix together (ordered a CTS Turbo intake just waiting for it to be delivered)

Not sure about the mixture control one tho?
If you have your stock intake still, you can try switching back first, clear the code and see if it comes back.

Try cleaning the MAF sensor too and also check and tighten as needed all the connections of the intake and chargepipe if you have one.
Appreciate 0