THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Wheel hub replacement without bearing?

05-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #1
stevemg9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Wheel hub replacement without bearing?

So I replaced my brake pads and rotors yesterday and noticed that one of the holes for the lug bolts on the front passenger side wheel hub is trashed. I think the shop that last removed the wheels just blasted a lug bot though there with an impact and tore it all up. The threads are mangled and it's difficult to get a lug bolt through there. The lugs that I did use got all torn up. So it looks like I need to replace the wheel hub.

I've done some research into this and saw that everyone who has done work on the hub, seems to be replacing the wheel hub and bearing as one assembly. I can buy just the wheel hub, or the hub/bearing assembly.

Is it possible to just replace the wheel hub without replacing the bearing? Is it difficult to remove the hub without damaging the bearing? I couldn't find any DIY guides on removing just the wheel hub, so I'm assuming there is a reason for this. Any information would be very helpful, thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I know on my Mercedes there was no way to remove the hub without replacing the bearing

Bearing was actually easy, I used a dial indicator because I hadn't had experience with tightening.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #3
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemg9 View Post
So I replaced my brake pads and rotors yesterday and noticed that one of the holes for the lug bolts on the front passenger side wheel hub is trashed. I think the shop that last removed the wheels just blasted a lug bot though there with an impact and tore it all up. The threads are mangled and it's difficult to get a lug bolt through there. The lugs that I did use got all torn up. So it looks like I need to replace the wheel hub.

I've done some research into this and saw that everyone who has done work on the hub, seems to be replacing the wheel hub and bearing as one assembly. I can buy just the wheel hub, or the hub/bearing assembly.

Is it possible to just replace the wheel hub without replacing the bearing? Is it difficult to remove the hub without damaging the bearing? I couldn't find any DIY guides on removing just the wheel hub, so I'm assuming there is a reason for this. Any information would be very helpful, thanks in advance!
The bolts that hold the bearing to the wheel hub are on there pretty tight. I didn't try to separate them when I replaced my front bearings but I was also installing the camber correction wheel hubs to get an additional -0.5 degrees of camber.
Appreciate 0