THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack M235i RWD Convertible 2016 tire and handling issues

06-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
nastyn8
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

M235i RWD Convertible 2016 tire and handling issues

Hello all! I hope this is the right forum for this question. I'm hoping to get your thought on what could potentially be wrong with my M235i RWD. I acquired this vehicle about a month ago from a relative who passed away. He purchased it brand new in 2016 and only put 17k miles on it. I drove it from Tampa FL to Boston, straight shot. I was thinking to myself how fun of a vehicle it is. I own a 2018 M3 ZCP with 3k miles on it, and I noticed some similarities in the behavior of its little baby cousin the M235i. The day after I get home I walk outside and notice it has a flat time. I check under the car to see if maybe there was a nail or something and I see the insides of both tires were worn down to the metal! First of all i'm super lucky they didn't give out while doing 120mph on my way home, but then I thought that it was also odd for a car with 17k miles, driven by an 80 year old man would need tires. I also found it odd that only the inside edge of the tires were so warn down vs them wearing evenly.
I'm not sure if i'm going to keep the M235i or not. Partially because I live in New England and this not exactly rear wheel drive convertible territory, AND I already own an F80, and 2 F30s. So I picked up 2 cheap tires (nexus or some brand like that). I had them installed and I put the wheels back on the vehicle. I immediately notice that the vehicle feels different. It's hard to describe but it feels like the rear end is swaying side to side when I try and change lanes at highway speeds. Almost like the rear tires are only at 20lbs pressure. I email the company I ordered the tires from and they agreed to take them back. I had to send them a video of me taking an easy on ramp at 40mph and my traction control light flashing at me.
I purchased 2 michelin sport AS3 tires for the rear and while the problem was greatly reduced, I can still feel that swaying/unstable sensation. The vehicle originally came with super sports, and I'm at the point where I don't know if putting super sports on it will solve the issue or if there is something else going on.
It was a clear night and day difference from what it felt like on the 1200 mile trip from Florida to the time I got the new nexus tires installed.
Can this issue be because I'm not using super sport tires? I've read other posts where people have installed sport AS3's and not ever mentioned that the vehicle didn't handle correctly afterwards. I'm really hoping someone here can help me out. I'm ready to purchase the super sports but i'd be basically throwing money away again if that's not what the issue is.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

If the first set of tires only wore on the inside edge, that would point to a very bad alignment. I'm surprised reading your story that an alignment was not done or suggested by the placed that installed the tires. 80 year old relative could have tapped a curb or hit a bad pothole and threw it way off.

I'd go to an alignment shop and have them put it on the machine to see where its at. I'd bet its way fubar. Even if the 80yo didnt hit anything, if the car sat in a hot garage for a long time you could have blown a shock out or broke a rubber bushing. The alignment would point to what tire's suspension has the problem too.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
nastyn8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrboMike View Post
If the first set of tires only wore on the inside edge, that would point to a very bad alignment. I'm surprised reading your story that an alignment was not done or suggested by the placed that installed the tires. 80 year old relative could have tapped a curb or hit a bad pothole and threw it way off.

I'd go to an alignment shop and have them put it on the machine to see where its at. I'd bet its way fubar. Even if the 80yo didnt hit anything, if the car sat in a hot garage for a long time you could have blown a shock out or broke a rubber bushing. The alignment would point to what tire's suspension has the problem too.
I agree I think the alignment is part of the issue here, but the weird part is that driving it home the 1200 miles, it felt like it was on rails. I had no issues what so ever and was really sort of falling in love with the vehicle. So I think whatever the issue is is being caused by something after I got home. And the only difference is the tires. I did jack the vehicle up and leave the rear on jack stands while I took the rims/tires to the shop to be installed. Maybe something happened while it was on the jack stands??
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I'd got to dealer. Reads like a bent lower locating arm or maybe a broken strut.

the Michelin Pilot Super sport as I recall wore the outer shoulder up front noticeably at 17K miles if I recall correctly.

Though if car was tracking nicely at 120 ?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
nastyn8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I'd got to dealer. Reads like a bent lower locating arm or maybe a broken strut.

the Michelin Pilot Super sport as I recall wore the outer shoulder up front noticeably at 17K miles if I recall correctly.

Though if car was tracking nicely at 120 ?
HaHa! I wouldn't say it was "tracked" but definitely driven "spiritedly" on the ride home thru Connecticut at around 3am.

I'm calling now to make an appointment with my dealer. We'll see what they say. Coincidently the vehicle warranty just expired in Feb this year. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 11:25 PM   #6
PiddlyD
Rep
Drives: BMW F23 M235iC, BMW F83 M4

Isn't this the same post, but from 11 months ago?

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/m...#post-13557781

The reason I ask, is because I responded over on bimmerfest with this:

I just bought a 2016 M235i (50k miles) and after reading all the raves about the handling and steering - I feel the same experience when changing lanes at high speed, something I've never felt in any of the BMWs I've ever owned, an e30 325i cab, E34 328i Saloon, a Z3, or the 2020 M4 cabrio comp package I also currently own. At higher speeds, even in a straight line, it feels like the back end wants to follow a different track than the front end, occasionally. It is very composed and really has tighter steering than the M4 at lower speed - but during hard acceleration at higher speeds, lane changes sometimes feel very unstable and even going in a straight line I feel like the rear end shimmies or sways from side to side. Again - it is like the rear of the car is tracking different than the front. It almost feels like trailer sway... a tail wagging the dog sensation - or driving a live rear axle car like an older Mustang.

My E30 would top out at 137 and despite those having a skittish rear end - it felt more planted and confident than the M235i. They're both cabrios and of very similar dimensions so I don't think it is related to body flex. The dealer did swap out two tires according to the carfax during prep (same make and manufacturer, Pirellis).

Talking some more on a Citadel BBS today, someone suggested this:

"if the car was originally ordered with all seasons, it will have 225 section width tires all around. if it was ordered with performance tires, it will be 245 in the rear. might make a difference."

And sure enough - this car was originally purchased in Georgia with a cold weather package and came equipped: 18" Double-spoke wheels, style 436M wit h all-season run-flat tires - so it has 225's all around.

Is it possible that just putting 245s on the back would resolve this issue?

I've had a number of BMWs, an e30 235iC, a e36 328i saloon, a Z3 2.8l, and currently an F83 M4... but the M235i feels very skittish in the back end - it almost feels like "trailer sway" when towing.

(oh... yeah, 2020 was last year - so this post is from 11 months ago too. I'm not feeling very sharp today...)
Appreciate 0