THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Car pulls while braking

12-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #1
Jashue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 B58 G42

Car pulls while braking

Strange occurrence on the way home from a long commute tonight...

Going down a long hill at around 70-75 mph I hit the brakes to manage my speed when the car veered somewhat dramatically to the left. It probably wasn't as bas as it seemed, but it was dark, raining and the phenomenon was completely unexpected. I was within ten miles from home so I played around a bit for the duration to find the experience consistent-- but only at highway speeds. I tried a few abrupt stops within the city limits to find the car behaving perfectly fine in that realm. The tire pressure is okay. There is nothing obviously wrong in the appearance of the wheels. I just find it weird that this occurs only at higher speeds.
FWIW... the wheels I'm running are my winter wheel/tire combination which I had put on the car two weeks ago along with an alignment.

Anyone have any idea? Thanks in advance.

M240i x-drive
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Incorrect toe during alignment

Bad tire, inner belt.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Could be uneven tyre tread block collapse under braking. Common with winter tyres such as Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 and Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tyres especially when new. One front tyre will typically have the blocks fold over before the other tyre, causing grip to be lost and the car to veer to the opposite side. The only solution to prevent it is to not brake as harshly or use a Performance winter tyre such as Bridgestone Blizzak LM60s, Michelin PA4s or Pirelli Sottozero 3s
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #4
Heitzer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i; BMW S1000RR

Did you hear unusual sounds when you got the veering?

I often drive long distance on roads which are wet and get salted and I don't need to break much during the drive. Breaking afterwards is often affected and the car pulls dramatically to one side sometimes. You mentioned a long drive in your message. I get loud grinding noises as well - but not always. This happens only during winter here in New England. Had this issue with three sets of winter tires over 5 years btw, it's not just a one time occurrence.

I suspect there is corrosion and material collecting on the calipers and brake pads (not sure if one or both). Your brakes me be fine and its only the material build up.

It takes a long time to shave off that stuff. Use a break in procedure just like you would for new pads/rotors.

Let us know what you find. I am curious how many others have noted this issue.
      12-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
Jashue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 B58 G42

Well this is embarrassing... I got up early the next morning to further evaluate the situation to find that the issue was no longer there! I think Heitzer may have hit the nail on the head when he suggested some sort of build up at or around the calipers. In 35 years of driving, I can not remember such a thing ever having occurred before.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 05:18 AM   #6
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Are you saying you had snow build up in the wheel well causing the nannies to err? I had a similar problem with a Chevy some years ago. The buildup may have caused one wheel to slide and the ABS would not let the other wheels brake so I could not stop at low speed. It was a company car which I took to a dealer, they told me I was driving wrong! Too fast for conditions. Of course the problem could not be duplicated for them. After three dealers could not find anything, (the problem happened a few times) It was a company car so I called my company and told them they should scrap the car. I wonder if anyone was ever killed by it.

Anyway, this is one of those conditions that the nannies have trouble with. Since Heitzer has it too you should do what you can to escalate the issue. Maybe the nanny moms will hear and address it.
Appreciate 0