THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Standalone electric steering?

06-04-2021, 07:07 AM   #1
jabtronic
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Standalone electric steering?

Hi guys.

I'm building a F22 circuit race car which uses a non BMW engine with aftermarket ecu so pretty much all BMW wiring and electronics are being stripped from the car.

I want to try and utilise the huge electric steering motor on the steering rack. I'm wondering if anyone knows what is required to run it? There's not many wires going into it I'm assuming there's probably a computer or it is ecu controlled but I'm hoping someone can assist with more info.
I've seen the Corsa electronic steering motor which is a column mounted motor and there is an electronic box you can purchase with a potentiometer to control the strength, I'm hoping something similar can be done to control the BMW unit.

I've attached a pic of the two connectors going to the motor. The big plug obviously being 12V and ground and the other plug having only 3 wires which I have not traced yet.

Thanks
Appreciate 0