THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Strange sound when unlocking

04-23-2021, 04:06 AM   #1
The Blue Meanie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Strange sound when unlocking

Hi Guys,

Apologies if I post this in the wrong thread.

I have a strange sound occurring when I unlock my car, and sometimes when closing the boot, when the car is unlocked.

Any thoughts or ideas please?

I've sent the video to the dealer, and they say they haven't encountered this before so best to bring it in (chargeable of course).

Any advice would be gratefully received guys.

Many thanks. S
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
The Blue Meanie
United Kingdom
Rep

Has this one got everyone stumped..? :-)
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230XI

Garage List
I guess best thing would be to ask does it lock and unlock correctly are you able to open both doors and the trunk and then also do you have the auto fold and unfolding mirrors if they are working or not.

It could be an electric motor on a gear slipping or not knowing it's correct stop position, I've not seen anything like it yet on the forums at least.

I would be trying to open and close it and moving around the car try to narrow down the spot it's coming from see if you can get an idea then maybe something can see what might be located there on the car and what the part/fix might be
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 10:05 AM   #4
The Blue Meanie
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your thoughts and advice Mogki.
It's unlocking and locking fine. All the doors work fine. I don't have the electric folding mirrors option fitted, so cant use that as an indicator.
Difficult to try and pin point it's location as it doesn't do it every time, usually after I've left the car for a while. Might just have to stump up the cash and ask the dealership to investigate.
Thanks again for your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 07:31 AM   #5
Drebeemer007
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Hello, did you get it fixed? I have the same issue. I think it has something to do with a bad ground or low voltage.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:03 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

sounds like some kind of relay
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 05:23 AM   #7
The Blue Meanie
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebeemer007 View Post
Hello, did you get it fixed? I have the same issue. I think it has something to do with a bad ground or low voltage.
Not fixed yet. As it's not affecting the running of the car, I'm loathed to stump up the £130 the dealership want just to take a look and then charge for fixing. I thought I might disconnect and reconnect the battery to see if that might reset things somehow?

Please let me know if you find anything out on yours.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:40 AM   #8
1more1
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT EB

My car makes a noise when I unlock it for about the same duration but it sounds more like a motor running and normal. I was thinking it was the sound of the fuel pump priming.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:50 AM   #9
Drebeemer007
United_States
Rep

No, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery doesn't solve anything. I will be borrowing a lift from a buddy of mine in the next couple weeks and diving in to see what may cause it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 09:14 AM   #10
The Blue Meanie
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebeemer007 View Post
No, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery doesn't solve anything. I will be borrowing a lift from a buddy of mine in the next couple weeks and diving in to see what may cause it.
Let me know how you get on. Will be interesting to hear what they say. Good luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #11
Drebeemer007
United_States
Rep

The sound is caused by the valvetronic servomotor. Car does a little calibration sequence when unlocked/locked essentially recording the position of the eccentric shaft. I have seen on other forums that the servomotor sometimes fails from a car sitting for a while and then being trickle charged (mind blowing) . If you scan your car I'm sure you will get some sort of valvetronic code. The repair itself isn't overly complex or pricy ($350) if you do it yourself. Tons of videos online of people swapping them.

Last edited by Drebeemer007; 05-26-2021 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0