THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB FTP Turbo Inlet V2

05-15-2021, 06:42 AM   #1
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

FTP Turbo Inlet V2

OK - So I broke off the hold down bracket on the OEM Turbo Inlet pipe .

Put this in the Maintenance Thread -- I see this as a replacement maintenance item which will be needed around 100K when the heat soaked parts (Turbo Inlet, Coolant Reservoir) will need to be replaced or like in my case during the WP & Thermostat R&R.

To gain improved access to the Thermostat -- I had removed the Plastic Turbo Inlet. On instalation ( I was not really careful) and broke off the hold down bracket). Many owner's report the OEM plastic is heat soaked and brittle.

So - I reviewed the cost of a new one at $145 and decided that the NEW CTS Silicone Turbo Inlet OR the FTP V2 T-Inlet were good options.

I am not interested in a larger turbo & not needing the super flow from the CTS/MST pipe ---want an improved & NOT plastic Turbo Pipe.

The CTS Pipe cost $180 and the FTP V1 $162, FTP V2 $180 (5% off Coupon)
Even though the CTS (similar to MST) is a better flowing design. With the stock turbo I did not think it would be beneficial. The FTP (similar to Pure Turbo) V2 does have a less restrictive design over the OEM and bolts in without riding on the surrounding parts (fan shroud / radiator).

Based on the potential of abrasion with the CTS / MST design -- I went with the FTP V2 --- I am sure V1 would have met my needs and at $162 (good buy).

I am sure many here will let me know how I made a mistake -- but the FTP V2 is larger diameter than OEM and being Metal with exact fitment without riding .

The FTP V2 checks all the boxes for those that DO NOT want to upgrade to a larger turbo in the future. I would have chosen the CTS / MST if that were the case.

Last edited by 123Britt; 05-15-2021 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

I'm looking to do what you've been doing for the cooling system.

If you have more pictures, that would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 12:32 PM   #3
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Do you have the part #?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #4
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

FTP Installation FITMENT

FTP F-N55 air intake pipe ( inlet pipe) V2 , 13717602651

The Turbo Inlet has a quality feel and the fitment at the turbo is excellent. The seal is OEM quality if not better due to Viton Seal.

The Clearance at the opposite end is good with NO rubbing on the radiator or fan.

However, the new Turbo Inlet tube/duct has a different location for the PCV breather tube. Approx 2" further away from the OEM location.

YES - The fragile PCV breather tube will not connect without stretching the plastic corrugated tube like a banjo string ~ mine could be heard cracking.

So my Solution would have been to rotate the FTP Inlet about 10 degrees but the hold down nut at the turbo does not make this possible (this could be the root cause here). Regardless - I purchased some 19mm PCV hose and added to the end fittings off of the now broken OEM PCV breather hose. Approx 2 in longer than the original. This would be similar to how a Burger Catch Can hose is added to those same fittings.

OK -- Well hope all of this make sense -- I add this to help you make the choice yourself. I was not adding the NEW FTP Inlet as a performance gain but as a improved part over the OEM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0