THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Bimmercode - Expert Amplifier Coding section w/ alternate HK EQ curves?

05-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #1
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Bimmercode - Expert Amplifier Coding section w/ alternate HK EQ curves?

Might only be available on cars with HK - but there is a Bimmercode section for Amplifier that is expert mode only - and seems to have ways to select EQ curves from a bunch of other models. Anyone ever play with this to see if any of them sound better that the stock F22/F23 curves? I'm too chicken to try, the warning says if you get it wrong you could need to have the ECU re-flashed.

Interesting note - There are actually 2 curves for the F22/23 models - "Old" and "New". Mine is set to "New" by default.

Just curious as I can't seem to find any references to this anywhere on the site.

Cross posted to Nav/Audio section since it covers both topics.
Appreciate 3
PeterWT251.00
pdx86.50
      06-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #2
Alpintosh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2.18i

I just went ahead and gave it a try, taking all the risks.

I connected to my OBD adapter via Bluetooth and at the same time I was also connected to the car with bluetooth audio.

I was playing some music during coding and suprisingly whenever I changed the option and coded, Amp just restarts for a second and new EQ curve is applied without music stopping or etc. So play some music and code at the same time. See the differences. Its fairly simple.

Now personal opinions. Mine was set to F22 by default. So first I changed it to "F22_NEW" and soundstage has widened, low frequencies felt more obvious. Did not make me say "wow" but it was a well worth to hastle change. I liked it.

I tried most of them but the ones that I liked to most was F45 and F49. Their sound stage are more stereo than surround (which I hate when playing music).

I hated F40 the most. Don't even code it. Its crap in our cars.

Actually my opinions do not matter because I gave it a try and saw that it works. Now its all up to your personal preferences. Listen and code whichever you like the most. Because all of them have different "taste"

Btw, I have not disabled the center speaker just not yet. My soundstage impression might change after I do it.
Side note: I have HK system. and VGate OBD2 bluetooth adapter

Last edited by Alpintosh; 06-06-2020 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 4
      06-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
Murf
Captain
Rep

Thanks for being the guinea pig for this. I'm going to go try a few myself, I'll report back with my findings. I'm already on F22 New and have center channel disconnected as a baseline.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #4
Murf
Captain
Rep

Wow we've really stumbled onto something here. I didn't go through all of them but I did try F87, F22 (old), F45, F49, F60 and F23 New.

F45 is clearly the best of the lot - agree 100% on your assessment it has much more stereo separation than either F22 New or old, much of the "virtual" sound is gone. I also feel that the subs hit MUCH harder under the F45 curve, I actually had to dial the bass back a few notches. I settled on Bass +2 Treble +3, Faded +1 to the rear and think it sounds pretty damn good with a 320k Spotify stream. I was contemplating speaker upgrades, maybe an amp upgrade, but this mod might have just tossed that out the window.

If you have Bimmercode and an HK setup in your M235/240 you must try this and report back.
Appreciate 5
Mehim76.50
Mawaz0.00
Poochie9099.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      06-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
Alpintosh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Wow we've really stumbled onto something here. I didn't go through all of them but I did try F87, F22 (old), F45, F49, F60 and F23 New.

F45 is clearly the best of the lot - agree 100% on your assessment it has much more stereo separation than either F22 New or old, much of the "virtual" sound is gone. I also feel that the subs hit MUCH harder under the F45 curve, I actually had to dial the bass back a few notches. I settled on Bass +2 Treble +3, Faded +1 to the rear and think it sounds pretty damn good with a 320k Spotify stream. I was contemplating speaker upgrades, maybe an amp upgrade, but this mod might have just tossed that out the window.

If you have Bimmercode and an HK setup in your M235/240 you must try this and report back.

Thank you, for pointing out such a cool feature. Whenever I have the chance, I'll try to analyze all the settings in depth. I'm not an expert or an audiophile but I have decent ears. Maybe we can mark things, like "better bass", "better trable", "better vocals", "better soundstage" etc, for people hoping to get the most of their cars and their HK systems.

Edit: I tried all of them and I found F45 preset to be the best. BUT.. This preset dramatically increases rear speaker volumes and crank up the high frequencies. I used to hear high frequiences barely from the rear speakers, with this preset, rear tweeters are veery bright. Therefore I needed to change tha fader to half way thruogh the front speakers. Also low frequencies are boosted in this preset. Stock preset feels like it rolls off below 60hz, but F45 is boosted the 40hz range. To avoid the booming, I decreased the bass 2-3 notch from the 0 (flat) point. Treble is at 0 point btw. Very happy with it. I was planning to add a sub to the system, I'll postpone this 500$+ upgrade, judging by how I liked the new settings. Very detailed, very balanced, powerfull and not clipping or cracking at full volume. Feels like I have upgraded all the speakers.

Hope somebody benefits. Cheers.

Last edited by Alpintosh; 06-06-2020 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      06-06-2020, 10:26 PM   #6
Mehim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Thanks for finding this. I will listen with my TOOL c.d. So far i have only diasabled the center speaker and that upped the system quality 25% imo. Please please discsonnect your center dash speaker. Please.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2020, 05:35 AM   #7
Alpintosh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehim View Post
Thanks for finding this. I will listen with my TOOL c.d. So far i have only diasabled the center speaker and that upped the system quality 25% imo. Please please discsonnect your center dash speaker. Please.
I disconnected the center speaker but to be honest, when F45 is applied, center speaker was not ruining the soundstage actually. With F22 preset, it might be ruining but for F45 it is not. So I reconnected it and pretty much happy with the outcome. The problem with the center speaker was the EQ settings afterall. If you are not too lazy to try, I'd suggest you give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 06:35 AM   #8
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpintosh View Post
Quote:

Thank you, for pointing out such a cool feature. Whenever I have the chance, I'll try to analyze all the settings in depth. I'm not an expert or an audiophile but I have decent ears. Maybe we can mark things, like "better bass", "better trable", "better vocals", "better soundstage" etc, for people hoping to get the most of their cars and their HK systems.

Edit: I tried all of them and I found F45 preset to be the best. BUT.. This preset dramatically increases rear speaker volumes and crank up the high frequencies. I used to hear high frequiences barely from the rear speakers, with this preset, rear tweeters are veery bright. Therefore I needed to change tha fader to half way thruogh the front speakers. Also low frequencies are boosted in this preset. Stock preset feels like it rolls off below 60hz, but F45 is boosted the 40hz range. To avoid the booming, I decreased the bass 2-3 notch from the 0 (flat) point. Treble is at 0 point btw. Very happy with it. I was planning to add a sub to the system, I'll postpone this 500$+ upgrade, judging by how I liked the new settings. Very detailed, very balanced, powerfull and not clipping or cracking at full volume. Feels like I have upgraded all the speakers.

Quote:

I was planning to add a sub to the system, I'll postpone this 500$+ upgrade, judging by how I liked the new settings. Very detailed, very balanced, powerfull and not clipping or cracking at full volume. Feels like I have upgraded all the speakers.

I almost agree completely. I say almost, because I'll always throw a sub in a car for added funkitude. Having said that, F45 really wakes-up the stock subs and they clearly start aspiring to be vaguely adequate for most tastes. Really substantial difference.

I have a powered JL from a previous install that I quite like and when the earf reopens, I'll get it installed along with a bass knob.

Bass knob is critical.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #9
againsttherage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Might only be available on cars with HK - but there is a Bimmercode section for Amplifier that is expert mode only - and seems to have ways to select EQ curves from a bunch of other models. Anyone ever play with this to see if any of them sound better that the stock F22/F23 curves? I'm too chicken to try, the warning says if you get it wrong you could need to have the ECU re-flashed.

Interesting note - There are actually 2 curves for the F22/23 models - "Old" and "New". Mine is set to "New" by default.

Just curious as I can't seem to find any references to this anywhere on the site.

Cross posted to Nav/Audio section since it covers both topics.
I have a 2020 m240 with HK and cannot find this. Where exactly is it located?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #10
Murf
Captain
Rep

If you have the Bimmercode app it shows up as Amplifier
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Mehim76.50
pdx86.50
      06-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #11
zombem235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I dont see it on my BimmerCode app
I have iPhone
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 08:31 AM   #12
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

Is this an iPhone vs Android thing?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
Murf
Captain
Rep

I don't think so. Some cars must not have access to the module.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #14
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

This is the only audio type setting I could find 2016 M235xi with HK.

View post on imgur.com

Also, I found this article that states "Despite being branded as Harman Kardon, the S674A setup's specifications are very similar to the regular Hi-Fi option, but contain more speakers. Harman Kardon stereos in 1 or 2 Series BMWs, as well as some other models, are likely to be the lower-end S674A option, not the higher-end BMW Harman Kardon surround sound system found in more premium vehicles."

Before upgrading to the BimmerTech Amp anmd Speakers, the HU was set to hifi_system_harmonkardon and sounded like complete garbage. Once I changed it to hifi, removed the center channel, did the stage sound proper.

Last edited by kegobass; 06-16-2020 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: Updated info on coding hifi
Appreciate 1
celsdogg308.00
      06-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #15
Mehim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

F45 ftw. Thanks again for finding this. Tried 2 other settings,f45 sounds better for reals.
Appreciate 1
pdx86.50
      06-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #16
Bird
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i xdrive coupe

I do not have the "Amplifier" option with BimmerCode, as well. Seems it only appears for the HK?. My 2017 m240 is the hifi audio, for now...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:19 PM   #17
Alpintosh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Guys I've switched to F39 Give that one a try..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #18
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Quote:
Guys I've switched to F39 Give that one a try..
Before I haul my posterior to the car, in what ways is it different?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #19
Mawaz
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Thumbs up

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Definitely F45 is the best, now I can hear Rush & Tool as they were meant to be heard!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #20
Mehim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawaz View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the info. Definitely F45 is the best, now I can hear Rush & Tool as they were meant to be heard!!
Preach!!! Did you disconnect the center? This setup is definitely livable now and for the price of an app and a obd reader, can't be beat i.m.o.
Sure a trunk sub would be great but I'll put the $$$ somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:35 AM   #21
Alpintosh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
Before I haul my posterior to the car, in what ways is it different?
In F45, high ends are really audible from rear, like you have added extra two tweeters to the rear, which made me shift the sound to front 2-3 levels. Its not the case for F39.

Bass is similar, very balanced and deep. I lowered it by 2 levels actually.

Soundstage: F39 is more compact than F45. I would describe it like; In F45 you have two stereo speakers with 6 meters away from each other, in F39 speakers are 3 meters away. I found it less fatiguing.

Both are excellent though. One should try and choose himself.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #22
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

2017 M240 with HK and I had the setting. Wow! F45 has so much more bass, I might put off my speaker upgrade plans.

Hm now I gotta find a day I'm not lazy and try F39.
Appreciate 0