THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions DIY: Burger Tuning short throw clutch stop install

05-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Well, it's a good thing that I kept the stock clutch stop then. I'll swap it out if I run into warranty issues. That said, this mod has been around for years and I've yet to see a report saying that it negatively affected the clutch. Could be that I didn't search hard enough though. :/
Don't get me wrong here, I don't think the thing will ruin your clutch so as long as you don't go crazy with the spacer thickness. There have been many reports that running too many spacers won't allow you to get into gear and/or get out of gear (once the clutch is warmed).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #24
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Well, it's a good thing that I kept the stock clutch stop then. I'll swap it out if I run into warranty issues. That said, this mod has been around for years and I've yet to see a report saying that it negatively affected the clutch. Could be that I didn't search hard enough though. :/
Don't get me wrong here, I don't think the thing will ruin your clutch so as long as you don't go crazy with the spacer thickness. There have been many reports that running too many spacers won't allow you to get into gear and/or get out of gear (once the clutch is warmed).
Ah, okay. i misunderstood you. It definitely felt off with all three spacers. There was zero travel to engagement. I now have about an inch of travel.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 06:08 PM   #25
RacerDad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Just installed the clutch stop with two of the three spacers. It definitely takes up some of the dead space. However, on heel toe downshifts it seems as if the engagement point is quite high. The revs fall just before the clutch takes up. Maybe I have to adjust my technique or release the clutch faster.
      09-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #26
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerDad View Post
Just installed the clutch stop with two of the three spacers. It definitely takes up some of the dead space. However, on heel toe downshifts it seems as if the engagement point is quite high. The revs fall just before the clutch takes up. Maybe I have to adjust my technique or release the clutch faster.
Faster, if you have the timing. I have the short throw clutch stop installed and if anything the clutch stop makes it easier, since the pedal now seems to bounce off the firewall.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #27
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Purchased this for my M240i but haven't installed yet. Only drove the car home from the dealer, around the neighborhood once, and to the detailer. But I don't really have an issue with the clutch engagement so far but I think it has to do with my 2 previous cars having a lot of travel as well so I got used to it. Interested to see the difference. For $10, it was worth trying.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #28
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline
Purchased this for my M240i but haven't installed yet. Only drove the car home from the dealer, around the neighborhood once, and to the detailer. But I don't really have an issue with the clutch engagement so far but I think it has to do with my 2 previous cars having a lot of travel as well so I got used to it. Interested to see the difference. For $10, it was worth trying.
Congrats! I can't imagine not having it anymore. However, I had been over 12 years removed from a manual.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #29
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Just installed mine. Cant believe I've had my car for 1.5 years and didn't install it earlier!! Got rid of all the take-up to my liking and now all my shifts are so much smoother especially at higher RPMs with 3/4 throttle and higher.

Best $10 I've ever spent on a car.

OP, thanks for the write up. I actually just pulled down the plastic cover and once it was away from the clutch stop I ran my hand through the clutch pedal flap in the plastic and was able to install the BMS clutch stop that way. Super Quick!.
Appreciate 1
BentZero623.50
      09-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #30
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P7X
Just installed mine. Cant believe I've had my car for 1.5 years and didn't install it earlier!! Got rid of all the take-up to my liking and now all my shifts are so much smoother especially at higher RPMs with 3/4 throttle and higher.

Best $10 I've ever spent on a car.

OP, thanks for the write up. I actually just pulled down the plastic cover and once it was away from the clutch stop I ran my hand through the clutch pedal flap in the plastic and was able to install the BMS clutch stop that way. Super Quick!.
Nice. it's such an inexpensive and necessary mod.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #31
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

So is the general consensus to use two of the three shims?
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #32
Nyorky2428
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasser View Post
I vote three
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #33
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyorky2428 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasser View Post
I vote three
could only use 2 as having 3 wouldn't start the engine.

and on a RHD car there is no messing with screws or panels. the stop is out in the open.
Attached Images

M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 03:08 PM   #34
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

Just installed mine today. Used 2 shims instead of 3. I didn't realize how unnecessarily far I was pushing the clutch pedal in until I installed the thing. There is about an inch of play now until it grabs. Super smooth shifts every time without even trying. Why the heck was this not the first thing I did when I got the car!

As far as install goes, it was super easy to reach in there and pull the old one out. No removal of anything necessary. Weird thing is the original one was almost completely white with only a few hints of the black rubber that used to be there. It was like that on the entire thing, not just the part that would come into contact with the clutch pedal. Anyway, I thought my thumb was going to break trying to put the BMS one in. Not sure how anyone else just "popped" it in. Ouch. Also, even though I'm not a tall person, I felt like I needed to be a contortionist to get in there! Hopefully I never have to take it out . . .
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 02:01 PM   #35
nickgsa60
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i BMW 328i

Bottom line, love the BMS clutch stop with one spacer removed.

Extended version: just took delivery of a 2021 f23. Felt the clutch travel was way too long without anything happening -- leading to less than ideal shifts and having to sit further forward than I would like.

I first tried with all the included spacers. This worked; however, the clutch would pretty much engage immediately. If that's what you like, then use all the spacers, but for me, it was a bit unnerving.

So next up I had to pull it out and remove a spacer... this was a total pain. Was sweating like crazy on my back pulling and wiggling with two hands. Finally got it out thankfully. After installing with a spacer removed, it felt perfect to me. A tiny bit of play initially and then engagement -- just enough to give a bit of comfort and not make you worry every shift that you aren't pressing down enough. Shifts are so much smoother and more comfortable than stock.

As for installation, it takes quite a bit of force. I had to press hard and wiggle with both hands. Once I got it to about an inch left, I pressed it the rest of the way in with the clutch pedal. I did not need to remove the trim piece and was able to pretty easily reach behind it.

Hopefully this can help someone from having to go through the same hassle as me. Make sure you consider what feel you are going for prior to installation.
Appreciate 0