THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

07-29-2021, 09:16 AM   #4005
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I've lived in Syracuse for over ten years, and NOW I learn that throwing a snowball is illegal here?
I grew up in Ferguson MO. My first interaction with the police was me being so stupid as the throw a snowball at a police car. Mind you I didn't know it was a cop car I didn't bother to look just the first car that came by as a moronic 7 year old.

Cop gets out and starts messing with his cuffs telling me someone could get hurt or drive off the road and all the time I'm astaring at those cuffs (which I doubt would have stayed on my skinny 7 year old arms anyway).

He let me off with a warning.
Scared straight!

My dad took me to the local pokey (he was assistant City DA) and they put me in a cell and closed the door. I might have been 7. Never again seen bars from the inside
      07-29-2021, 09:30 AM   #4006
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Scared straight!

My dad took me to the local pokey (he was assistant City DA) and they put me in a cell and closed the door. I might have been 7. Never again seen bars from the inside
Do you just call them pubs now?

Last edited by rwheels; 07-29-2021 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 5
UncleWede17883.00
vreihen1614907.50
jmack548.50
paquet629.50
upstatedoc7555.50
      07-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #4007
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Scared straight!

I was just a dumb kid. Never occurred to me someone might panic if hit by a snowball while driving. But oh yeah, oddly enough I've never had any interaction for any crime worse than one that would get me a citation and on my way.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 12:52 PM   #4008
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Damn Yankees
I have a NY State license made of unobtanium in my wallet. Took a few years of jumping through flaming hoops to get, including three trips to the county jail, a hand truck load of forms (in triplicate), two home visits by sheriff deputies, in person interviews of four references, five trips to the notary, and an appearance before a judge. Something so rare that not even Jackie Gleason (of The Honeymooners) could get one at the peak of his fame. Yes, the coveted Willy Wonka golden ticket...an unrestricted NY State CCW pistol permit!

If you think that the Syracuse snowball thing is restrictive, NY State Penal Code prohibits even TOUCHING an *unloaded* pistol unless the person has some level of valid NY State CCW pistol permit. This includes the counter help at a sporting goods store taking a display pistol out of the display case, as well as a potential customer. No CCW permit, instant felony! Ditto for someone wanting to take shooting lessons at a range, even with a licensed instructor.

I bring this up because the process for getting a CCW requires owning a gun when the application is submitted, and including the serial number on the CCW application forms. Gun shops all have safes to store new guns (that you paid for) for the years it takes for your permit to clear. If you want to be an educated consumer and select a pistol by holding or actually shooting it before your purchase, that actually requires traveling to another state with less-restrictive laws...like New Jersey.....
Buug95916851.50
      07-29-2021, 01:07 PM   #4009
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

How about that Fontana chase clear to <wherever the hell they ended up> yesterday? Unusual, to say the least. That driver (woman?) was so happy, clapping when they slowed down on surface streets and apparently turned off lights/sirens.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24832.00
      07-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #4010
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I have a NY State license made of unobtanium in my wallet. ..an unrestricted NY State CCW pistol permit!
wait, NYS or NYC or both? I have unrestricted NYS but not valid in NYC or 5 boroughs
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #4011
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
How about that Fontana chase clear to <wherever the hell they ended up> yesterday? Unusual, to say the least. That driver (woman?) was so happy, clapping when they slowed down on surface streets and apparently turned off lights/sirens.
Sometimes we'll terminate a pursuit in the interest of public safety, especially if the pursuit is for a property crime.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      07-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #4012
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Sometimes we'll terminate a pursuit in the interest of public safety, especially if if the pursuit is for a property crime.
And mostly you all will continue it because it lets you drive fast; FTW Lucky bastards.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24832.00
      07-29-2021, 02:04 PM   #4013
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sometimes we'll terminate a pursuit in the interest of public safety, especially if if the pursuit is for a property crime.
More so that she was driving 100+ on freeways, then once the bumper finally fell off, she got on surface streets and just went all OJ-slow. The 3 patrol units from Fontana never left her tail, they just turned off the lights. Eventually, she was stopped at a sign and one of the trailing officers passed then pinned her between the primary.

I surmise Fontana followed for so long because a motor was initially involved in the stolen vehicle stop. Did she hit one of their buddies?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24832.00
      07-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #4014
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
More so that she was driving 100+ on freeways, then once the bumper finally fell off, she got on surface streets and just went all OJ-slow. The 3 patrol units from Fontana never left her tail, they just turned off the lights. Eventually, she was stopped at a sign and one of the trailing officers passed then pinned her between the primary.

I surmise Fontana followed for so long because a motor was initially involved in the stolen vehicle stop. Did she hit one of their buddies?
That's possible. We charge assault with a deadly weapon on a Police Officer if someone attempts to, or nearly hits an officer with their vehicle. That pursuit was initiated after an ALPR hit.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614907.50
      07-29-2021, 02:22 PM   #4015
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
wait, NYS or NYC or both? I have unrestricted NYS but not valid in NYC or 5 boroughs
Just the state, which is useless in the city. I'm not rich enough to afford the bribes to get a NYC permit, and really don't go there very often.

Jackie Gleason lived in Westchester County when he applied, and they only gave him a restricted "sportsman" (range/hunting) pistol permit because they wouldn't issue unrestricted to ANYONE...even in the 1950's. Someone that I know joked that it was probably because of his image of domestic violence on TV - to the moon, Alice! An actual FOIA scan of his application is bouncing around the web, where someone crossed off "unrestricted" and wrote "sportsman" on the form.

On a side note, I found all of the documentation/forms for getting my South Carolina CCW last weekend. They issue non-resident permits for anyone who owns property in the state, so we just need to have the county tax collector fill out a quick certification and take their state's required safety class. Their non-resident permit won't let you buy in their state (gun show and private sale loopholes aside), and we couldn't bring anything purchased there back to NY State without jumping through months of flaming hoops to have it listed on our NYS CCW cards beforehand. Just planning for our ultimate escape.

I should also mention that SC is going restricted open carry and dropping CCW application fees on 8/15 or so. You still need the CCW to open carry, and the law is more or less to cover people who accidentally expose their CCW in public more than it is a "constitutional carry" like in other states. Hence, why I'm waiting a few more weeks before starting our non-resident SC paperwork, since it will be free to apply.....
upstatedoc7555.50
      07-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #4016
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

interesting story about my ccw. when I first got it, it was was stamped "hunting and target'. somewhere around the mid '90's a judge declared that was unconstitutional and told ccw holders to come down to the court house and it would be removed. I got there quick.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24832.00
jmack548.50
vreihen1614907.50
      07-29-2021, 03:47 PM   #4017
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

No, at least not the way we used to do it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 04:39 PM   #4018
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Couple weeks ago I had some burglars / fugitives run into my neighbors backyard, and I got a text from them that they were possibly in my backyard as well at 1am. So I grabbed my heater and turned on my backyard lights. Minutes after police knocked on my door so I of course check who is out front, put the heater away, and open the door.

My question is normally in a situation like this obviously I didn't want the police to be afraid of my 9mm / .45 when they are already investigating 4-5 burglar suspects on the run/hiding in the dark. So do I mention it at all or just put it away like I did and grab it again when the doors are closed ? Police did mention to me to stay inside and not go out back but I still grabbed my guns as protection while I watched the perimeter because I had sleeping toddler/baby.

I certainly listened to the police and didn't entertain stepping in my backyard as i could see the complications that would cause. I also didn't want the police pulling guns on me because I had a gun so I just put it away and then answered the door... but that slight minute before I knew it was a police officer I almost answered the door with a gun..

Not only that but I have a 15 round magazine that is obviously illegal here but I got it during the one week CA allowed 15 round mags to be purchased again sometime in 2017-2018. Just too many gray areas..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614907.50
      07-29-2021, 06:40 PM   #4019
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
Couple weeks ago I had some burglars / fugitives run into my neighbors backyard, and I got a text from them that they were possibly in my backyard as well at 1am. So I grabbed my heater and turned on my backyard lights. Minutes after police knocked on my door so I of course check who is out front, put the heater away, and open the door.

My question is normally in a situation like this obviously I didn't want the police to be afraid of my 9mm / .45 when they are already investigating 4-5 burglar suspects on the run/hiding in the dark. So do I mention it at all or just put it away like I did and grab it again when the doors are closed ? Police did mention to me to stay inside and not go out back but I still grabbed my guns as protection while I watched the perimeter because I had sleeping toddler/baby.

I certainly listened to the police and didn't entertain stepping in my backyard as i could see the complications that would cause. I also didn't want the police pulling guns on me because I had a gun so I just put it away and then answered the door... but that slight minute before I knew it was a police officer I almost answered the door with a gun..

Not only that but I have a 15 round magazine that is obviously illegal here but I got it during the one week CA allowed 15 round mags to be purchased again sometime in 2017-2018. Just too many gray areas..
I think you handled it properly. You weren't a suspect/subject in the investigation, so there wouldn't have been any reason for a pat down or search. Additionally, you can carry your weapon in your home and on your private property.

Your "freedom week" mags are good to go BTW.
Appreciate 2
JamesGames1326.00
Murf99314114.00
      07-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #4020
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 MGM

Someone mentioned a high speed pursuit, speaking of high-speed pursuits I have a new startup that helps deter and intervene using a GPS device. Essentially to avoid pursuits using their location, tactics and strategy (similar to StarChase but proactive, rather than reactive deployment).

Any officers willing to speak with me about it? We have a few departments on board already testing our new production units in the next few months.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24832.00
      07-30-2021, 02:15 PM   #4021
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2733 View Post
Someone mentioned a high speed pursuit, speaking of high-speed pursuits I have a new startup that helps deter and intervene using a GPS device. Essentially to avoid pursuits using their location, tactics and strategy (similar to StarChase but proactive, rather than reactive deployment).

Any officers willing to speak with me about it? We have a few departments on board already testing our new production units in the next few months.
I'm curious to hear more, but I don't know that I want a system capable of interfering with my ability to control the car.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2021, 04:30 PM   #4022
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm curious to hear more, but I don't know that I want a system capable of interfering with my ability to control the car.
Running from the cops

AGAIN????
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24832.00
      07-30-2021, 06:57 PM   #4023
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nope, doesn't affect control of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 06:59 PM   #4024
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2733 View Post
Quote:
Nope, doesn't affect control of the vehicle.
You said it helps deter and intervene. That's affecting control by definition.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 09:04 PM   #4025
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
but that slight minute before I knew it was a police officer I almost answered the door with a gun..
people still answer the door these days? Especially at night?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 09:13 PM   #4026
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You said it helps deter and intervene. That's affecting control by definition.
I won't get into semantics here, I'll PM you, but the definition is "interference into another's affairs" or "action taken to improve a situation" not to necessarily control.

We give you a tool to allow you to intervene or to change the course of the situation using said tool
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24832.00