THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB advice needed, maintain or sell or put in storage?

05-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

advice needed, maintain or sell or put in storage?

My one and only car is a 2015 M235 purchased new in August 2014.

At the time of purchase I lived in a house. Now I live in a condo with a reserved exposed parking space.

I service at dealer; 1) loaner, 2) the warranty of the repair, and some other reasons.

In the past few years out of warranty I've had the following repairs:

1) trunk lock mechanism fail.

2) pair of thrust arm bushings replaceed

3) oil filter housing gasket

4) oil pan gasket March 2021

5) now car is in shop for valve cover assembly.

6) had auxiliary radiator hose blow which I took care of myself.

Along with regular maintenance, one+ or this year four thousand dollar repair bill is getting to be the norm.

I thought about storing car at an exotic car facility for about $3000/year ? But not sure there is any good reason for doing that.

Keep the car and continue servicing ? Car is great looking and drives incredible.

Or sell car ? Not sure what to buy...probably just a new under warranty daily driver with good mileage (Toyotas Venza. Tesla Model 3. Mazda hatchback) good in the snow in comparison to my car.

Any opinion would be appreciated

Last edited by overcoil; 05-04-2021 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:02 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
My one and only car is a 2015 M235 purchased new in August 2014.

At the time of purchase I lived in a house. Now I live in a condo with a reserved exposed parking space.

I service at dealer; 1) loaner, 2) the warranty of the repair, and some other reasons.

In the past few years out of warranty I've had the following repairs:

1) trunk lock mechanism fail.

2) pair of thrust arm bushings replaceed

3) oil filter housing gasket

4) oil pan gasket March 2021

5) now car is in shop for valve cover assembly.

6) had auxiliary radiator hose blow which I took care of myself.

Along with regular maintenance, one+ or this year four thousand dollar repair bill is getting to be the norm.

I thought about storing car at an exotic car facility for about $3000/year ? But not sure there is any good reason for doing that.

Keep the car and continue servicing ? Car is great looking and drives incredible.

Or sell car ? Not sure what to buy...probably just a new under warranty daily driver with good mileage (Toyotas Venza. Tesla Model 3. Mazda hatchback) good in the snow in comparison to my car.

Any opinion would be appreciated
water pump might be on the way too....

I learned that these cars after 50k you start having all these OFHG leaks, oil pan leak, valve cover leak...

I would probably go with Model 3.... it's stupid quick and no more oil leaks and the tech is really good... let alone auto pilot, summon, etc

I wish they made like an M version of the Model 3 and I'm not talking about the Model 3 perf but something that has wider fenders and feels more special.... I know the Roadster is coming but it's 200k

With the whole virus thing I barely drive my car maybe 2-3 times a month as we have a Subaru outback for grocery/kids getter and with offices closed probably till end of the year the bmw will not see much driving....

If I could just chose anything, i would keep the m235 as track car and get a Model 3 for everyday
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      05-05-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

appreciate your advice respect your opinion.

pickachu have you driven the Tesla Model 3 ?

Last edited by overcoil; 05-05-2021 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 08:12 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
appreciate your advice respect your opinion.

pickachu have you driven the Tesla Model 3 ?

Yes I test drove the Model 3 perf twice... its fantastic.... the acceleration gives you headaches literally.... handling is really good too as all the weight is down low.... only thing is more noticeable is road noise cause there is no engine noise

You should go and try it...
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50