THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Active Tourer Discussions Rats eating my Tourer !!!

10-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #1
Colin from Oz
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Active Tourer 218i Luxury Auto

Rats eating my Tourer !!!

I have a couple of questions for you, but, first let me set the horror scene...

A couple of days ago, I was driving back to Belgium from the UK in my Active Tourer and was pulled over for a security search at the customs post.

I opened the bonnet when requested and to my horror... large pieces of foam and material fell out of the bonnet into the engine compartment. I stood there staring blankly

The customs security guy, unphased, laughed and said .. "Ha! We see a lot of that with those cars from Europe; it's the rats there!"

So, my two questions (and I'm not sure if it happened in the week I was in the UK, or in Belgium, France or somewhere else):
  1. Has anyone else had problems like this (I have been driving for 40 years and it's the first time I see it - so is it the Active Tourer that has a particularly delicious insulation?).
  2. Before I expose it to the BMW garage, does anyone know roughly how much it costs to replace the under-bonnet insulation in the Tourer or can I just repair it with strong insulating tape?
Many thanks.

Cheers. Colin

Last edited by Colin from Oz; 10-18-2016 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
Colin from Oz
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Active Tourer 218i Luxury Auto

For those interested in this story...
On another site, more active on the topic (Ma BMW) I learned that this is a common problem in many parts of Europe.

The animal seems to be a weasel rather than a rat.
It seems to like cables, tubing and soundproofing materials in most cars, BUT, only the soundproofing materials in BMWs - that's a good thing (all is relative).
The cost to replace the soundproofing under the bonnet in an Active Tourer is about €100.
There exists a weasel repellent ... but it doesn't seem to work.
Most people with this problem seem to just remove the half-eaten soundproofing and it doesn't seem to make an audible difference - just looks cheap and tacky.

Not a great finding... but, I suppose I'll have to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #3
Smallm
Old Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, Dinan stage 4

I had a problem with Squirrels and headlight wiring once. Wrapped the harness with steel wool and soaked it in Tabasco Sauce and they went away. I like to think that they went away quickly. This likely won't work for your problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

They make a pepper spray you can use to deter pets from chewing household wires - that might work. I hear they are after a soy-based insulator (among other things). You would think that this would be something they would have figured out by now (but now I'm picturing little rat focus-groups deciding if they like the taste of the piano black or the faux woodgrain textured panels better)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Keep some soy/poison pellet traps in your parking spot at home and hope they don't prefer the car again! What else can you really do?
      12-09-2018, 12:16 AM   #6
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Keep some soy/poison pellet traps in your parking spot at home and hope they don't prefer the car again! What else can you really do?
That is what I do ... also around the garage plus moth balls
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

the foam thats on the underside of the bonnet (hood)?

i think it saw it for 125$ usd on one of the part sites. Its not a big expensive item, and easily replaceable. I wouldnt even bother to be honest...
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
See these

https://www.amazon.de/Kemo-2in1-Mard...language=de_DE

https://www.amazon.de/Carpoint-05295...language=de_DE

https://www.amazon.de/Marderabwehr-M...language=de_DE
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #9
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

Rodent Defense

An all natural product containing peppermint oil, rosemary, garlic oil, vinegar and some other ingredients applied at least monthly has cured what was a very destructive and expensive problem that we had with mice and rats. Rodents love European automobiles because of the plant based material they use as insulation and sound proofing, etc. Plus rodents love foam so they can make nests. I can spray the entire engine bay with this product, wheel wells, and even around the vehicle.
Appreciate 0