THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Strategy for Non-Run Flats

05-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
MyloFiore
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

Strategy for Non-Run Flats

While anxiously waiting for my (new to me) 2015 228 to arrive by transport, I’m pouring over dealer photos. I just found out that the PO put on non-run flats. They still have a lot of meat on them. For those of you that have switched to non-run flats - what’s your strategy for a flat? I was thinking about AAA, but then I’ll have to get towed, and have a lot of downtime. Fix a flat wreaks havoc on TPMS - so that’s a no. Perhaps I should just buy a donut? I wouldn’t keep it it the car full time (no space for it). My wife or son could always bring it out to me, if I kept it in the garage....

What do you do?

Mylo
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyloFiore View Post
While anxiously waiting for my (new to me) 2015 228 to arrive by transport, I’m pouring over dealer photos. I just found out that the PO put on non-run flats. They still have a lot of meat on them. For those of you that have switched to non-run flats - what’s your strategy for a flat? I was thinking about AAA, but then I’ll have to get towed, and have a lot of downtime. Fix a flat wreaks havoc on TPMS - so that’s a no. Perhaps I should just buy a donut? I wouldn’t keep it it the car full time (no space for it). My wife or son could always bring it out to me, if I kept it in the garage....

What do you do?

Mylo
I have the same question. Got RF's on my 2016 228ix. I hate them.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've been driving for 40 years and in that time I have had only one truly "flat" tire that need to be changed in order to continue on to a destination. With modern TPMS, I have had several alerts to low tire pressure, but have always had plenty of notice to re-inflate the offending tire and nurse it along until I could carry out a proper repair. I hate RF tires. I switched my MINI Cooper S to non RF tires as soon as the factory supplied RF's needed replacement and never looked back. I alternate between summer and winter non run-flat tires on my M235i and don't worry. I have a charged cell phone with me at all times so in the very rare instance I need help, it's just a call away. That said, my 27 YO daughter had a true flat on her brand new Mazda 6 after hitting something in the road a few weeks after purchasing her car, and at 1:00 am too. Her solution, call dad on her cell and get him out of bed to come to the rescue. I picked her up and got her home and went out the next day and put the spare on and drove it 3 miles to the tire store to have the tire replaced, so it was handy having a spare available for that issue.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
Redsauce
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

I have used this in my Z4 when I immediately removed my run flats
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

BMW also makes a 'mobility kit' for a bit more money:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...SABEgLiUPD_BwE

I also bought a plug kit if I needed to do that on the road. The air compressor in the mobility kits is an absolute necessity if you drive without a doughnut and jack.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      05-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I've only had one blown tire in my life, some 20 yrs ago. I hit a unmarked cut out section of asphalt...it still burns me to think about it. Just run quality tires, do the routine checks on them and odds are way in your favor. If you have a lot of ugly pot holes in your area maybe look into AAA?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyloFiore View Post

What do you do?

Mylo
bimmerzone.com and ratchetstrapsusa.com

Minispare and jack kit. Of course, now that I have it, I'll never need it.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #7
MyloFiore
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsauce View Post

I also bought a plug kit if I needed to do that on the road. The air compressor in the mobility kits is an absolute necessity if you drive without a doughnut and jack.
It says that the slime stuff is safe, but I can’t imagine it’s good for the longevity of those sensors.

There is a lot of construction, here in Phoenix. These contractors can’t seem to secure their drywall screws. I’ve probably had 4 flats in the last 15 years. I might get a donut to keep in the garage...

Mylo
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      05-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #8
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

My M235 came without the RF tires, MPSS, and it has a small compressor and can of sealant goop in the trunk well beside the battery so there is an OEM option for you as well. Hopefully never have to use it but it must work.

Maybe someone who has had to use theirs can chime in with a comment on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #9
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

I would buy the kit that comes with the M-lite cars that leave the factory with non-RFTs. If you don't end up using it, it will still help reassure whoever you eventually sell the car to.

When I switched to non-RFTs on my 5 series, I picked up a genuine BMW kit off ebay.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #10
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I just keep the cell charged, and when I'm really on the ball I have a few extra numbers for tow companies in the areas I run a lot. Might someday break down for a real spare, but the inability to adequately secure it (for crash-worthiness) has held me back thus far. Those little d-rings are great for groceries, but they don't look like they'd hold a tire in a crash. Should note I'm one of the 'years driving w/o a flat' half of the group. The other half seems to blow tires on a seasonal basis, and if you are there, you may want to stick w/ RFT's (performance RFT's aren't THAT bad, most of the griping is about the all-seasons).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsauce View Post

A bit more money for one from BMW. More than double and i have a tire gauge, gloves and don't need a carrying case with a BMW logo. Don't they both do the same thing? I am going to ask my mechanic if he thinks the slime will screw up the TPM. If not, I'm getting one for both bummers which is less than one from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

For cold climate folks who run summer and winter wheels and tires, you can run one off season as a spare in a pinch. I've done that before no problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #13
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

It depends on where you live and your driving habits. If you live in the east, you almost always have cell coverage and are not too far from a garage. In the West, there are large areas of no cell phone coverage and can easily be 50 miles from a garage. There are threads on this forum about compact spares for the 2 series and I would not leave Las Vegas without one. Even when driving the interstate to the Socal beaches, there are many areas where it is 50+ miles to a garage and no cell coverage. I also take about 15 one week trips enjoying the twisties and scenery in rural Utah and Arizona where I am almost always over 50 miles from a garage and have no cell coverage about 25% of the time (AT&T). Run-flats are only good for about 50 miles and that assumes the tire is not sliced or a rim bent. Even if you have cell service, a non-repairable flat is a multi-day event. A tow will take most of a day and then it unlikely that the garages in Nowhere AZ have a tire your size Yeah, the compact spare takes up a lot of space in a convertible trunk but I need the peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #14
Winslow211
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M 235i

simple I have non run flats..bought a spare specifically for the BMS M 235i found it from Bimmer post..even has the correct seals..stays in my trunk...just in case..its about $350
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Towing coverage on my insurance policy and watch where I drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #16
shil
Huh? Wazzat?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 228i xDrive

These and a 12V tire pump. There's no spare on a motorcycle either.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #17
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Get AAA... the tire kit in the trunk is useless, after about 3months of owning the car my rear tire blew out nicely. Had about a 2 inch tear in the rear. I have had quite a few flats over the last few years, but only 1 that required assistance. The others were slow leaks.

You could get a spare and keep it in the trunk, but in all honesty, just get AAA and call it a day, can also keep the BMW tire kit in the trunk if you want for added security.
      05-22-2018, 06:19 PM   #18
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

I find it hard to understand those who think of this as a service issue they can buy their way out of. Unknown amounts of time waiting for AAA or similar, sitting on a possibly-interstate roadside, perhaps in a well-traveled area, perhaps not, in daylight or at night, finding alternative transportation if the car is towed, etc...From my perspective, the single most important and overriding factor is getting off the roadside, out of a vulnerable random place, and back on my travel ASAP, as in NOW (as quickly as I can get that spare on...up to 10-15 minutes?)
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #19
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I find it hard to understand those who think of this as a service issue they can buy their way out of. Unknown amounts of time waiting for AAA or similar, sitting on a possibly-interstate roadside, perhaps in a well-traveled area, perhaps not, in daylight or at night, finding alternative transportation if the car is towed, etc...From my perspective, the single most important and overriding factor is getting off the roadside, out of a vulnerable random place, and back on my travel ASAP, as in NOW (as quickly as I can get that spare on...up to 10-15 minutes?)
I mean, your options come down to, lugging around a spare, lugging around a full size spare, or runflats if you don't want to be interrupted.

But anyway you cut it, changing out a spare still requires you to be on the side of the road changing a tire, which can be hazardous sure. But overall it comes down to what your level of acceptable risk is.

Basic concept being, if you want the most security, runflats are your best bet. I personally don't enjoy using runflats, so I take that risk, and I have AAA premier. Yeah you will wait a bit, but even still, if you are in the middle of nowhere, that spare will only get you to the nearest place you can stop. If you had a blow out at like midnight lets say on the way to Las Vegas from California, a spare isn't getting you to Vegas, in all likelihood, you will be stuck in baker or something overnight until something opens to replace your tire.

What if you have more than one tire go out such as running over something? A single spare wont save you (this happened to me once, took out both passenger side tires).

For me personally, I don't want to carry a spare, its a pain in the ass, occupies too much luggage space etc. I do miss when BMW included full size wheels back in the day. My e30 and e36 both had a full size spare in the trunk, but the car was designed around it. So this was IMO the best solution.

But sticking a full wheel in the trunk is not a great idea. you basically have no luggage space.
      05-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #20
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I'd agree with you except for certain roads. 76 in Philly for example I'd wait 24 hours for AAA rather than change a tire myself.

My idiot sister in law called me from that road and asked me to come help when she had a flat. I said sure and sent Lexus roadside after telling her she'd get raped and murdered if she got out of the car for any reason.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:21 PM   #21
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
I mean, your options come down to, lugging around a spare, lugging around a full size spare, or runflats if you don't want to be interrupted.

But anyway you cut it, changing out a spare still requires you to be on the side of the road changing a tire, which can be hazardous sure. But overall it comes down to what your level of acceptable risk is.

Basic concept being, if you want the most security, runflats are your best bet. I personally don't enjoy using runflats, so I take that risk, and I have AAA premier. Yeah you will wait a bit, but even still, if you are in the middle of nowhere, that spare will only get you to the nearest place you can stop. If you had a blow out at like midnight lets say on the way to Las Vegas from California, a spare isn't getting you to Vegas, in all likelihood, you will be stuck in baker or something overnight until something opens to replace your tire.

What if you have more than one tire go out such as running over something? A single spare wont save you (this happened to me once, took out both passenger side tires).

For me personally, I don't want to carry a spare, its a pain in the ass, occupies too much luggage space etc. I do miss when BMW included full size wheels back in the day. My e30 and e36 both had a full size spare in the trunk, but the car was designed around it. So this was IMO the best solution.

But sticking a full wheel in the trunk is not a great idea. you basically have no luggage space.
I've been driving this car for 3 years with the minispare in the trunk and have never had the sensation/experience of "lugging". I actually never think about it. I have no need for luggage for this car in our household, but there is still room with the rear seat folded down, if that need ever arose. No one has ever sat back there for three years, so it could easily become cargo space if needed.

As to the roadside changing, true, there is some minimal exposure (assuming pulling off into a safe location from being hit), but this is a matter of risk increasing over time as more passersby notice you are stuck. Ten to 15 minutes is a very different profile than waiting a couple of hours which is far from unheard of. Although the minispare is tested for certain speed and mileage limitations, treating it more gingerly than that with lower speed will allow you to keep moving, which equates to more safety than sitting still.

This is personal risk assessment and I was just expressing my point of view. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:24 PM   #22
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I'd agree with you except for certain roads. 76 in Philly for example I'd wait 24 hours for AAA rather than change a tire myself.
I get that concern...I'd be willing to trash the tire to pull off the shoulder or up the next exit to be able to change it to the minispare. Sitting still, vulnerable to passers-by, is a primary concern....perhaps it's the NYC native upbringing.

EDIT: I just saw your final paragraph...that can happen just as easily when you're stuck, even inside the car. It's the duration of being stuck that I perceive as the biggest risk. But, I'd still drive on the damaged tire to a reasonable place to swap the minispare.
Appreciate 0