THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums UNITED KINGDOM F23 220i 2016 Won't Start After Attempting to Install Front Camera.

02-14-2023, 01:53 PM   #1
caspload
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i 2016

F23 220i 2016 Won't Start After Attempting to Install Front Camera.

Hi everyone coming here in a panic as my car suddenly won't start after my Dad and I tried installing a front camera. I'll try and give as much detail as possible for diagnosis as there's a lot of complications.

It's a BMW 2 Series 220i F23 Convertible with a Roadtop MMI box. 43000 miles, owned for one year. Never had any warnings prior to today. And unsure if it'll be relevant but I've done some coding on the car using Bimmercode and have played with Bimmerlink a bit. Never had any issues with this. It's an 'Msport' trim, runs ID4, loved it so far!

However, today I drove over to my parent's house to work on the car. We were going to install front camera and swap out the front grills while we were at it. Everything was going well. Grills removed despite being a massive PIA to do. Camera wired in and was displaying on the screen and car was starting.

We were using a fuse piggyback from Halfords to use fuse 20. I noticed that the 2nd fuse slot on the piggyback connector. This fuse was a 5a but there was also a 10a in the splitter next to the original 5a. So I wonder if this caused issues?

Then suddenly after we were about to wrap up work I tried starting the car and noticed new light on the dash with a warning for 'Passenger Restraint System' as well as showing in iDrive. I then took out the fuse piggyback and replaced the original, disconnecting the camera. Still wouldn't start.

I also got a traction control warning and message. Than a service light. At this point I tried Bimmercode which was able to connect and reboot the ECU. Didn't fix anything. Then tried Bimmerlink which couldn't connect.

So currently the car won't start. Few warnings on iDrive/Dash. Noticed the window controls on the driver side weren't working. Tested the passenger and they're working ok. Didn't try the roof in case it got stuck open. Aircon, cigarette lighter port, aircon, iDrive and my MMI box all were working fine though.

I then left the car to sit for about 30 mins to see if there were any timers etc to reset. Still not luck so I've connected the battery up to charge for the night in case the stop/start while testing killed the battery - which was on about 50% health on Bimmerlink about 2 weeks ago.

Can anyone help with what I should try. Currently it's a very expensive brick, I really hope I didn't kill something. Can anyone suggest things to try to troubleshoot/fix or any advice? I hope it's not an expensive dealer repair job! Thank you all so much in advance!
Appreciate 0