THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning E8x/E9x RTD short shifter install on a F22

02-11-2023, 01:24 PM   #1
Ryand23
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Garage List
2014 bmw m235i  [0.00]
E8x/E9x RTD short shifter install on a F22

How’s it going guys figured I’d put this out there if anyone is looking to do this but unsure of how it would work

I don’t normally make post on anything for anything and don’t mind my grammer and what not as I’m half stupid but here it goes

Little back story I got the common 1-2 synchro failure in my 2014 M235i so I have decided to swap it out with an n54 manual transmission

Since I’m doing the n54 transmission I wanted to eliminate as many things as I could that would need to be altered to make the swap work so instead of fighting with the shift bracket I decided to just go with an rtd chassis mounted short shifter. Well rtd doesn’t make an f chassis shifter so I purchased there e8x/9x shifter and a buddy of mine let me use his shop and I spent a day fitting it into my car

Install was pretty easy with minimal trimming and an added in little plate for the rear mounting point and it was in. All in all it took about 5 hours start to finish without knowing how anything was going to turn out

Currently the shifter is hooked up to the oem n55 gs6-45bz transmission using the stock single shear selector rod(shift linkage)

once everything was removed (oem shifter/shifter bracket, center console trim) I placed the shifter in there and found out some of the plastic around the shifter had to be removed and there’s a little metal bar that connects the left and right console mounts together that had to be cut out(doesn’t effect how the console gets mounted in anyway and is still fully secure) I connected the linkage to find the center point on where it had to sit to be correct once I figured that out I had to cut about a 1x4” section of the carpet in front of the oem shifter hole in the trans tunnel to expose the trans tunnel allowing the shifter to sit flush on the trans tunnel once it was flush I marked my 2 front holes and drilled them out since it’s meant not an e chassis the base of it was to short for the rear mounting point to reach the rear part of the trans so what I did was add in a plate on the under side and bolted the plate to my trans tunnel and then bolted the shifter to the plate

I did also make the trim around it out of an auto trim piece that I cut apart and plastic welded it shut and then wrapped it in Alcantara literally just finished it and am not happy with it and version 2 is currently under way
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
MLJR235116.50
AmuroRay2264.50