THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Car died driving down road shortly after cold start

12-15-2022, 04:16 PM   #1
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Car died driving down road shortly after cold start

So my m235 died last night about a mile down the road, had rough cold start (battery was low) check engine light came on driving down road then it started making a screeching noise (sounded exactly like a rock stuck between caliper and dust guard), then the car sputtered and died, honestly thought the engine blew due to the terrible noise and complete loss of power (maybe an overreaction). Was gonna get it towed but ZERO tow company's were available. So I said f it and put my jump starter on the car and turned it on, miraculously it ran totally normal and I got it back to the house, still has the check engine light on and these are the codes I got. Any help or idea what could've happened would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
nazali1305.50
      12-15-2022, 04:19 PM   #2
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22leo View Post
So my m235 died last night about a mile down the road, had rough cold start (battery was low) check engine light came on driving down road then it started making a screeching noise (sounded exactly like a rock stuck between caliper and dust guard), then the car sputtered and died, honestly thought the engine blew due to the terrible noise and complete loss of power (maybe an overreaction). Was gonna get it towed but ZERO tow company's were available. So I said f it and put my jump starter on the car and turned it on, miraculously it ran totally normal and I got it back to the house, still has the check engine light on and these are the codes I got. Any help or idea what could've happened would be greatly appreciated.
The terrible noise went away on the drive home so I assume it actually was a rock stuck in the rotor, engine sounded 100% normal
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 04:34 PM   #3
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

If the battery was causing low voltage messages before the codes were set, I would erase the codes, charge the battery fully and see if they come back, before doing anything else. The voltage drop on a cold start with a low battery could cause all sorts of other temporary issues relating to electrical systems and sensors.
Appreciate 3
F22leo244.00
nazali1305.50
      12-18-2022, 08:08 AM   #4
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
If the battery was causing low voltage messages before the codes were set, I would erase the codes, charge the battery fully and see if they come back, before doing anything else. The voltage drop on a cold start with a low battery could cause all sorts of other temporary issues relating to electrical systems and sensors.
I bought a quality trickle charger and let the car charge for a day, then reset all codes. Car has had no issues for 60 miles now! Major relief. Thanks for the input you were totally right.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3621.00
      12-18-2022, 01:35 PM   #5
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

I don't drive a lot, and when I do they are mostly short trips. As a result my battery never fully charges, in fact it slowly discharges over time, till the car starts to complain "abnormal battery discharge" or something like that. Or at least that was what used to happen several BMWs ago. Now I just make a point of putting the trickle charger (I use a CTEK) on the car every week or so. Have never had any problems since.
Appreciate 1
F22leo244.00
      12-22-2022, 07:20 AM   #6
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

I had pretty much the same, except the screeching noise.

The car was jumping like it was having an orgasm then died, left it a bit and then it started

The battery was screwed, the dashcam had killed it.

For a few weeks while I was troubleshooting it, it would start like that and only run properly after a jump start

If it's an AGM battery it's probably damaged , get it checked out
but yes battery problem for sure

You'll get what I call BULLSHIT codes due to the battery, I had all kinds of codes

new battery is probably required depending on the age

if battery is equal or older than 5 years replace

Quote:
Appreciate 1
F22leo244.00
      12-25-2022, 02:14 PM   #7
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
I had pretty much the same, except the screeching noise.

The car was jumping like it was having an orgasm then died, left it a bit and then it started

The battery was screwed, the dashcam had killed it.

For a few weeks while I was troubleshooting it, it would start like that and only run properly after a jump start

If it's an AGM battery it's probably damaged , get it checked out
but yes battery problem for sure

You'll get what I call BULLSHIT codes due to the battery, I had all kinds of codes

new battery is probably required depending on the age

if battery is equal or older than 5 years replace

Quote:
I thought I forsure was gonna need a new battery, but ever since I bought a battery charger/maintainer I've had no issues or weird codes. Car starts up every time now totally normally (no battery discharged message displayed on idrive anymore) been -10 with windchill and car starts like it's a summer day.
Appreciate 2
aerobod3621.00
nazali1305.50