THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti Founders Edition promo

10-30-2022, 08:21 AM   #1
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti Founders Edition promo

After looking around and going back and forth on whether to wait for the RTX 4090 prices to come down, I decided to make the leap into updating my archaic EVGA GTX 780 SC. I was also pushed over the edge because of COD MW 2. I've been having all sorts of problems trying to run the game with it crashing constantly when I get to Wetwork and especially the Trade Craft missions in the campaign.

Looked all around and decided to check on Nvidia's website where I stumbled onto their promo deal. RTX 3090 Ti for $1099. They say projected ship date is 11/4. So I pulled the trigger. Especially as it seems none of the 3090s have really dropped that much in price with the 4090s out there in the wild.

The other considerations were that I think I may be able to still use my current rig to run this card where as I definitely have to upgrade my power supply with the 4090. And also there seems to be problems with the power connector/header for the 4090s.

Anyways, hope this helps anyone here that has been on the fence and still don't want to overpay for a GPU.
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4079.00
      10-30-2022, 08:57 AM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

LOL I remember the original 2009 version of that game, had it on xbox 360. A bunch of friends that would play together in the same lobby and generally destroy everyone with knives, it was good times. I keep hearing the 4090 is a half baked product too, even if I had $3k to blow on the latest tech I wouldn't want the headache or possibility of it melting the rest of my CPU down.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 09:23 AM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

LOL. I remember and sometimes miss all the shenanigans in multiplayer. Going all the way back to Counterstrike Source where people would spawn and blow up their own team members. It was irritating when during those times but funny when I think back now.

Yeah, I'm not totally sold on paying what amounts to a used car (pre pandemic pricing) for a single GPU (4090). The issues I'm starting to see with the power header/connector and the shear size and weight of the thing. Steve from Gamers Nexus was reviewing the 4090 and was joking and halfway serious when he was holding the 4090 in his left hand. Said he should have thought better by picking up the thing with his left hand versus his right (dominant hand). Eluding to the weight of the thing. I think I would be ok with the chassis I have now which it would most likely fit, but I know I have to upgrade the power supply.

Heck I'm still only gaming at 1080P. So anything within the past couple of years will be a big improvement. Decided to do the 3090 Ti as I'll probably start looking at 4k monitors in the near future. But at the distance my monitor is from where I sit, I'd have to take size of the monitor into consideration as I'm pretty close to the my current monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 08:49 PM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Got my card today a few days early. Already installed it in my system and all is well. I'm now able to play MW II without it crashing on me.

Can't believe how big and heavy this card is; especially compared to the old GTX 780 SC it replaces. The 4090 must be a total monster with everyone saying it's bigger and heavier than the 3090.

Last edited by zx10guy; 11-04-2022 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 10:01 PM   #5
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

congrats, but sorry to hear the game isn't working right.

side note, what's the deal with MW2, is it simply a remaster with updated graphics/audio?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 12:05 AM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
congrats, but sorry to hear the game isn't working right.

side note, what's the deal with MW2, is it simply a remaster with updated graphics/audio?
I was typing too fast. I corrected my post where it should have said, "I'm now...." It was constantly crashing on me when I was running my GTX 780 SC. And when it did crash with the 780, it would lock up the system hard requiring a hard reset.

The just released MW2 is the second installment to the reboot of MW 2019. There is a MW2 Remastered which is just the old one with spruced up graphics.

The card is running fine and I'm able to get MW2 (2022) running fine except for some crashes here and there. The game is still a bit buggy. I stumbled on some info when I was trying to troubleshoot why it was crashing hard when I was running my 780. Found out that you don't want to run the latest game ready driver with MW2 (2022), but run one version back. I did that and it's a bit more stable. But I did just get a crash but that was after some time playing. But at least it dumps back to the OS and not hard crashing as it did before.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 07:22 AM   #7
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Well, the 3090 Ti from Nvidia is sold out now. Just checked. Was actually surprised it was still available as long as it was. I guess Nvidia had some excess stock. Checking Best Buy near me, they're also out of stock. So hopefully one of you all were able to take advantage of the promo.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 09:09 AM   #8
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Well, the 3090 Ti from Nvidia is sold out now. Just checked. Was actually surprised it was still available as long as it was. I guess Nvidia had some excess stock. Checking Best Buy near me, they're also out of stock. So hopefully one of you all were able to take advantage of the promo.
I got mine, but I was just on there yesterday and saw they were sold out.

I did see, however, that they have 4090's from other brands starting at $1,600, which is $400+ cheaper than I find on NewEgg and such for the same card.

I haven't been able to make my 3090ti even try yet though. I did get it to spin fans up a little more trying to run high specs for VR in PCIII, but even then it didn't seem to care much.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 09:46 AM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
I got mine, but I was just on there yesterday and saw they were sold out.

I did see, however, that they have 4090's from other brands starting at $1,600, which is $400+ cheaper than I find on NewEgg and such for the same card.

I haven't been able to make my 3090ti even try yet though. I did get it to spin fans up a little more trying to run high specs for VR in PCIII, but even then it didn't seem to care much.
Glad you were able to get yours for an appropriate price before they sold out of them.

The catch with the advertised prices Nvidia shows on their online stores with partners is that many times the card is either not in stock or they're actually higher in price. You have to click through the links for the partners they list for a specific card to verify the status.

When I first fired up my system with the 3090 Ti installed, I thought I had a bum card as the fans wouldn't spin up. Did some reading and found out the fans won't spin up if the loading on the GPU doesn't warrant it. When I started to run through MW2 (2022), the fans did spin up.

Last edited by zx10guy; 11-07-2022 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 10:41 AM   #10
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
When I first fired up my system with the 3090 Ti installed, I thought I had a bum card as the fans would spin up. Did some reading and found out the fans won't spin up if the loading on the GPU doesn't warrant it. When I started to run through MW2 (2022), the fans did spin up.
Yeah mine don't spin up with just casual use, but spin when gaming, but even when gaming they don't spin up much. Some systems sound like a jet engine, mine us super quiet. My temps have stayed surprisingly cool, but I do have a open frame case so that helps.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0