THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing N20 Oil Starvation on Track Commonalities

10-24-2022, 09:37 PM   #1
bcoffin23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Competition

N20 Oil Starvation on Track Commonalities

Are there any common scenarios seen from N20 oil starvation on track (e.g. tire compounds, powertrain mods, etc.)?

I've recently started tracking my 228 m-sport and don't want to starve the engine! Currently stock.
      10-28-2022, 10:35 AM   #2
Jelly_Belly
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

I dont think i have ever heard of oil starvation being an issue on the N20 unlike the N55. i think the oil pan already has a small baffle that helps. However I do know that quite a few companies manufacture upgraded bearings for the N20 just like the N55. So you could upgrade to better bearings. Other than that, im sure using top shelf oil and possibly upgrading your oil cooler could help if you are running more boost than stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 09:12 AM   #3
bcoffin23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly_Belly View Post
I dont think i have ever heard of oil starvation being an issue on the N20 unlike the N55. i think the oil pan already has a small baffle that helps. However I do know that quite a few companies manufacture upgraded bearings for the N20 just like the N55. So you could upgrade to better bearings. Other than that, im sure using top shelf oil and possibly upgrading your oil cooler could help if you are running more boost than stock.
I'm running stock power and drivetrain. Did 1 track day in the car and plan to heavily track it.

I want to ensure I don't destroy the engine but also not trying to modify oiling if not needed.

I don't plan to run r-comps ever on this car
      10-29-2022, 01:05 PM   #4
Jelly_Belly
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

ahh kk gotcha, it was mostly on R comp tires that the N55 reported oil starvation issues. (once again, very few if any track the N20 so we dont have much info on it) But iv heard from multiple beemer techs that the bearings are a sort of Achiles heel on the N generation engines.

So i would look into upgrading to beefier bearings, you could also use motor oil that handles the thermal loads of the track better. I run liquimoly in all my cars. But funny enough my tech told me of another dude who had heating issues with the BMW OEM oil and even liquimoly. his car would drop into limp mode on track after 20-30m.

He swaped to redline oil and it never did it again. So maybe consider using Redline oil and upgrade the bearings?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 05:15 PM   #5
bcoffin23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ahh kk gotcha, it was mostly on R comp tires that the N55 reported oil starvation issues. (once again, very few if any track the N20 so we dont have much info on it) But iv heard from multiple beemer techs that the bearings are a sort of Achiles heel on the N generation engines.

So i would look into upgrading to beefier bearings, you could also use motor oil that handles the thermal loads of the track better. I run liquimoly in all my cars. But funny enough my tech told me of another dude who had heating issues with the BMW OEM oil and even liquimoly. his car would drop into limp mode on track after 20-30m.

He swaped to redline oil and it never did it again. So maybe consider using Redline oil and upgrade the bearings?
Interesting as I was under the impression that the N20/N26 was an engine that saw a decent amount of track time. My research is proving otherwise, however.

Appreciate the info! No plans for r-comp and keeping stock power. My 228i m-sport does have the dual radiators, so I am hoping as long as I keep power stock I wont have heating issues.
      10-30-2022, 11:36 AM   #6
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:

Different oil can drop or increase temperature by 5-10f depending on KV100 and HTHS.
Redline doesn't have any secret sauce to it. Old Redline (this year formula) had a lot of esters and newer one has bit more PAO. Lot of ZDDP and that is it. You have a lot of other oils that have stout base and additive package.
What happened is that oil he switched to has bit less resistance and that lowered temperature just enough to get him out of limp mode. It is possible in low altitude environment, but really is not appropriate solution. If limp mode is due to oil temperature, beefed up oil cooling is only way to do it properly.

By the way Liqui Moly is mediocre oil. Average LL01 oil in Wal Mart has better performance than LM.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 12:05 PM   #7
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Accusump or baffles or both. Otherwise don't take corners fast or you will eventually starve the engine. Pressure drops dangerously even on hard straight line braking with semi slicks.

It depends on your skills, the better ( faster ) driver you are, the higher the chance to blow the engine if you don't address this, and you can find a few threads about this topic on this forum.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 12:22 PM   #8
ScottSmith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 N20

You should review these threads:

This has some data about oil starvation. Navardi currently sells his baffling solution. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1783473

This talks about accusump install on an N20. https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1816447

This thread has, among other things, images and links to a dry sump solution. I would be very wary of going that way as you lose the balancing shafts. https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1781019

There might be some good info on other threads as well but I'd start with those.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 05:44 PM   #9
jas00x
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i M-sport

Datalog with Navardi Baffled oil pan.

So finally got the Navardi Oil pan installed and got out on track to test it out. I datalogged the oil pressure using Bimmerlink. Overall pressures are looking good. The minimum dips are around 40psi. I haven't tried to correlate it to the track (if it's in corners or braking), but 40 psi as a low point doesn't seem too bad. Any thoughts, or info from those that have been datalogging with a stock oil pan?

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2267.50
      12-29-2023, 01:01 PM   #10
jas00x
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i M-sport

Just put together a video with the data overlay if you're curious to see where the dips happen (mostly in braking zones).
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2267.50