THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning F22 M235i N55 VANOS Camshaft mechanically stuck.

10-15-2021, 08:59 AM   #1
watercoolednoob
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F22 M235i

F22 M235i N55 VANOS Camshaft mechanically stuck.

Afternoon guys,

Bought a M235i with a spun big end bearing. engine removed stripped down and rebuilt. The crankshaft was reground and the cylinder head was replaced due to excessive wear on the inlet camshaft. The cylinder head bought came with the cams,adjusters and solenoids.

The engine started up just fine but was hesitant to rev, EML came on 10 seconds later. Codes 2C58 -Charging Pressure control: Switch off as consequence and 2A82 - VANOS intake- stiff, jammed mechanically(both active faults). I checked the oil filler cap the insert and o ring was ok. I checked the oil level that was in the middle. i then cleaned the vanos solenoids out of the old head and replaced the intake first then the exhaust the fault was still there. I checked the wiring to both the camshaft sensors and the vanos solenoids.

I then replaced the adjusters from the old cylinder head, i took the bearing cap off the intake cam the one closest to the adjuster and i couldn't see any excessive wear on the vanos seals ,reassembled and fault still present. I replaced both cam sensors as well from the old head, fault still comes back.

I started to play around with the vanos while watching the live data. with both solenoids plugged in , the exhaust would hover around -2 to 4 deg while revving but the intake would be stuck on 17.99 deg no matter the conditions. If i unplugged the intake the live data would show around -2 to 0 deg but obviously have an OL fault in DME. however what was really strange is when i would disconnect the exhaust solenoid i would get the obvious exhaust OL fault but the intake mechanically stuck fault would disappear and the live data showed the intake cam advancing and retarding as normal. however as soon as you plug the exhaust back in again the fault would come straight back and the intake cam would go to 17.99 deg.

I suspect maybe not enough oil pressure to vanos to control both circuits; all though i am not sure how the vanos would behave if this was the case or an internal fault in the control circuit in the DME which would obviously be very very unlikely. If you guys could advise if im missing something obvious here or what would be the next step as i am kind of lost to be honest.

Kind regards, Jamie
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 12:34 AM   #2
voliyavor
Rep
Drives: bmw e70

Quote:
Originally Posted by watercoolednoob View Post
Afternoon guys,

Bought a M235i with a spun big end bearing. engine removed stripped down and rebuilt. The crankshaft was reground and the cylinder head was replaced due to excessive wear on the inlet camshaft. The cylinder head bought came with the cams,adjusters and solenoids.

The engine started up just fine but was hesitant to rev, EML came on 10 seconds later. Codes 2C58 -Charging Pressure control: Switch off as consequence and 2A82 - VANOS intake- stiff, jammed mechanically(both active faults). I checked the oil filler cap the insert and o ring was ok. I checked the oil level that was in the middle. i then cleaned the vanos solenoids out of the old head and replaced the intake first then the exhaust the fault was still there. I checked the wiring to both the camshaft sensors and the vanos solenoids.

I then replaced the adjusters from the old cylinder head, i took the bearing cap off the intake cam the one closest to the adjuster and i couldn't see any excessive wear on the vanos seals ,reassembled and fault still present. I replaced both cam sensors as well from the old head, fault still comes back.

I started to play around with the vanos while watching the live data. with both solenoids plugged in , the exhaust would hover around -2 to 4 deg while revving but the intake would be stuck on 17.99 deg no matter the conditions. If i unplugged the intake the live data would show around -2 to 0 deg but obviously have an OL fault in DME. however what was really strange is when i would disconnect the exhaust solenoid i would get the obvious exhaust OL fault but the intake mechanically stuck fault would disappear and the live data showed the intake cam advancing and retarding as normal. however as soon as you plug the exhaust back in again the fault would come straight back and the intake cam would go to 17.99 deg.

I suspect maybe not enough oil pressure to vanos to control both circuits; all though i am not sure how the vanos would behave if this was the case or an internal fault in the control circuit in the DME which would obviously be very very unlikely. If you guys could advise if im missing something obvious here or what would be the next step as i am kind of lost to be honest.

Kind regards, Jamie
Hello have you solved the problem on your Bmw I have the same problem and same faults .....I'm waiting for your response thank you in advance
Appreciate 0