THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Active Tourer Discussions New member, considering a 2 Series Active Tourer

05-13-2021, 03:37 AM   #1
GSS123
Registered
Rep
Drives: Vauxhal & Merc

New member, considering a 2 Series Active Tourer

Hi everyone,

I'm nere here, as a quick intro, I'm known as "G", based in Birmingham.
Reason for joining - with Birmingham making the Clean Air Zone live in a few weeks, we're having to consider a replacement car for my dad, well our hand is going to be forced somewhat.

We have shortlisted a few contentders, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer being the number 1 choice for now, so really just after some honest drivers views and comments please, common problems and what to look out for.

So, we're considering a Petrol form of the 2 Series AT 1.5 engine with Auto transmission, I think they only started in 2014?

Currently my dad drives a 2010 Mercedes C-Class Diesel, but this will incur an £8 per day charge to drive through town, so we either need a Euro4+ Petrol or a Euro6+ Diesel. If im honest, I dont want him to buy a Diesel as he only does around 15 mile round trip to work with the odd weekend usage, and thats probably no more than 20 miles on a weekend, so Diesel would be clogged up in no time.

He wants economy, cheap tax, something a little higher up than the C-Class, usual mod cons so DAB, Parking Sensors, Sat Nav, not overly fussed about leather but if it is then it needs to be black, and but it must be an Auto.

I have seen some 2015-2017 1.5 Petrol models in Auto for around £10k-£12k.

The last BMW we had was way back in the early 90's and that was an E30, so really would like to know more about the 2 Series AT:

- What are these like to drive, comfort, owenerhsip, maintenance?
- Any common problems we should look out for?
- What model should we/shouldn't we consider?
- Whats the auto-box like?
- Is a 1.5 Petrol economical with it being a modern engine, well comparing against a 2.1 ltr Diesel Merc?
- What should we steer clear of?
- Are these belt driven or chain driven engine's?

Im sure many more questions will be borne out of your feedback, so please bear with me.

And much thanks in advance.

With regards,
G.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230XI

Garage List
I never see much activity in the active tourer section here but I can answer a few things with relative confidence

The engine should be fine in terms of economics it's the same as the B46/48 engine minus a cylinder so using eco mode and smart driving you can get a decent MPG raiting but it all depends where you drive of course but I find it fine.

It should be chain driven again being a B38 engine and most of the chain driven issues seem to have been worked out from early problems in the early 2010s

I'm not so sure what the trans is on the active tourer and can't find a clear answer but seeing 8 speed auto I would assume an ZF8 if it's the same as the regular F22 chassis and don't let anyone tell you otherwise the ZF8 is FANTASTIC for a daily car it can be incredibly smooth and comfortable with it's shifts and in sport mode it's the opposite being very aggressive not as fun as a manual of course but it's perfect for a daily car.

The only other thing I would say again just general stuff from having an F22; Avoid the car if it has halogen reflector lights and you plan driving anywhere not well lit, they are very poor but can be replaced with LEDs but still it's a major issue I had with the F22 lights.

Hopefully someone actually with an active tourer can give you some more concrete info but I hope this little helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 03:19 AM   #3
GSS123
Registered
Rep

Thank you, thats useful information.
We're looking at around a 65-17 reg, so hopefully a lot of issues will have been ironed out across the rest of the range?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
From what I recall most of the VANOS timing chain stuff was resolved by 2010-2012 there is one other issue I am aware of but I only think it may have been on the bigger and older engines the S55 N55 and N54 engines involving the crank case seal.

The auxiliary belt on the front of the engine (Not the timing chain) for the alternator and AC and rest of the other engine systems if gets oil or other debris on it it was possible the belt could slip off and be pulled into the crank case housing you could look into it see if anyone with the B38/B48/B58 engine has had any issues like that.
The B48 and B58 are mostly the same to the engine you'll get in the active tourer just with 4 and 6 cylinders respectively.

2017 at that point you're near the end of the range in terms of production at least so most issues have been smoothed out and most will tell you the same thing anyway, proper maintenance will keep it sound just don't fall for the trap of the 10k mile oil change find a local garage that can do it for you and do it every 5-6k like normal cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 03:17 AM   #5
GSS123
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogki View Post
From what I recall most of the VANOS timing chain stuff was resolved by 2010-2012 there is one other issue I am aware of but I only think it may have been on the bigger and older engines the S55 N55 and N54 engines involving the crank case seal.

The auxiliary belt on the front of the engine (Not the timing chain) for the alternator and AC and rest of the other engine systems if gets oil or other debris on it it was possible the belt could slip off and be pulled into the crank case housing you could look into it see if anyone with the B38/B48/B58 engine has had any issues like that.
The B48 and B58 are mostly the same to the engine you'll get in the active tourer just with 4 and 6 cylinders respectively.

2017 at that point you're near the end of the range in terms of production at least so most issues have been smoothed out and most will tell you the same thing anyway, proper maintenance will keep it sound just don't fall for the trap of the 10k mile oil change find a local garage that can do it for you and do it every 5-6k like normal cars.

Will have to look at a few and just make sure the Service History is water tight.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #6
GSS123
Registered
Rep

Can I ask another question please? We cant seem to find a decent priced Petrol, and whilst the mileage my dad does isnt going to warrant a Diesel, but the question is the does the BMW Diesel suffer from DPF problems as well, as in getting blocked?

My Vauxhall's do, badly, just thinking if its worth considering the Diesel at all?

They seem to be a heck of a lot cheaper, which is just nuts.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with any of the diesel BMWs at all, I don't even think they offer them over here stateside.

I do remember diesels all makes and models basically being the way to go for everyday cars back in Ireland and England with how cheap the fuel was, your best bet might be to check one of the regional forums ether on here or another site to see if you can find anyone else with one.

Best of luck.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=569
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 04:08 AM   #8
a.dashti
Rep
Drives: bmw 2 series

Hi, does any one know how can I show speed limit in my navigation?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 04:10 AM   #9
a.dashti
Rep
Drives: bmw 2 series

I have no head up display option in my BMW 2 series with out that can I have speed limit information?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #10
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Speed limits in these cars usually comes from a camera that reads the signs on the roads; use a BMW VIN decoder and check for the option "S8TDA" that will let you know if you have the option for speed limit sign reading

This info just comes from having a F22 coupe myself not an active tourer
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:12 AM   #11
Cthulhu
Rep
Drives: BMW 218D

I've owned one for 4 years, Australian model (so usually higher specced and waaaaay more expensive than US models)
- What are these like to drive, comfort, owenerhsip, maintenance?
Typical BMW, better driver experience than an X1, but not quite 3 series, bUT you'd be hard pressed to notice
- Any common problems we should look out for?
None that I've heard, this is a very modern car, 'common problems' are usually very minor
- What model should we/shouldn't we consider?
I would get the diesel, every time, 100% The torque adds so much to the experience
- Whats the auto-box like?
Fabulous, mine is 8 speed, and smooth as silk, keeps the rev range perfectly in the sweet spot
- Is a 1.5 Petrol economical with it being a modern engine, well comparing against a 2.1 ltr Diesel Merc?
No, get the 218D, do OT get the 1.5 petrol if you ever want to get anywhere!
- What should we steer clear of?
Umm, dodgy second-hand dealers...get a ex-demo or a higher specced 3year-old back from lease to its purchase location with full service history and buy extra factory warranty.
- Are these belt driven or chain driven engine's?
I'm sorry, I have no idea.

Just my opinion on all this. My little 218D is an absolute trouper, not a single hiccuo, big or small, can fit loads in the back, very smart interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 03:12 PM   #12
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

I exchanged my UK 2018 X1 (F48) 1.5 Ltr X-Line auto (41K miles) a few weeks ago for a new 2 Series Active Tourer auto box (U06) 220i Luxury. Again with the 1.5Ltr (now mild hybrid) 3 cyl engine.
Initial impressions after c600 miles are very favourable.
The car handles very well, equal to the X1, is quieter on the road, more comfortable and with the Mild Hybrid aspect, quite noticeably more economical, averaging 54+ mpg on a 50 mile run last week. I think that's not bad for a new engine.
A massive plus is that it has the adaptive LED headlights, which gave amazing performance in the dark drive home, with no other car flashing me for the use of selective main beam. I think this came as part of the Tech & Comfort packs included with the car.
Another feature is that the interior has more room than the X1, despite slightly smaller external proportions. Luggage compartment is same width/height, but approx 5cm shorter. I am, though, still able to get my battery powered Motocaddy golf trolley, clubs and shoes etc in without sliding the rear seats forward or tilting them up. I do have to take out my golf driver, fairway wood and umbrella, but stack them on top of the trolley/bag and can still close the tailgate.
Appreciate 0