THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Upgrading interior rear view mirror to frameless

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-18-2023, 09:13 AM   #1
kschwiggy
Enlisted Member
32
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i Conv.
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: DC Metro Area

iTrader: (0)

Upgrading interior rear view mirror to frameless

I'll be swapping out the interior mirror with the larger, frameless version that we have on our X7. I will update this thread with install pics and results.

I believe there are many mirrors that will work. The mounting bracket differs between various part numbers, but the mirror and four wires appear to be largely the same. Almost all mirror upgrades will require removing and reusing the ball mount from the M235/M240, so it doesn't really matter which model mirror you get as long as the mirror has the features you need.

I received two mirrors that I bought on eBay. Both have the modern glass shape, homelink buttons, high beam assist, and self-dimming. But some of these mirrors are even more frameless and thinner than others.

P/n 51169476754 has no bezel at all, and is completely frameless. The mirror is also thinner, and has an angular rear housing. This came off of a M850 and is the same mirror as used in the X7:
Name:  IMG_0559 Large.jpeg
Views: 92
Size:  188.8 KB

p/n 51169459440 has a thin black bezel around the edge, though the glass appears to be the same shape and size. The mirror is thicker overall, and has a smooth rounded rear housing. This came off a 530i, and according to the eBay listing, this part number is used on the X5 and M5 as well:
Name:  IMG_0558 Large.jpeg
Views: 98
Size:  248.8 KB

Comparison of the top and bottom of the 754 mirror (left) to the 440 mirror (right):
Name:  IMG_0560 Large.jpeg
Views: 93
Size:  226.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0561 Large.jpeg
Views: 93
Size:  220.4 KB

Comparison of the 754 mirror to the stock mirror:
Name:  comparison to stock.jpeg
Views: 81
Size:  254.8 KB

Last edited by kschwiggy; 03-18-2023 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 12:06 PM   #2
AM20 BMW
Private
AM20 BMW's Avatar
United Kingdom
70
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: BMW 218i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
This is pure coincidence because Iíve just had this thought when I was sitting in my other family members F40 and G01, it looks so much nicer, modern and sleek and the fact the alarm LED especially when it blinks it looks a lot nicer, modern and bigger too. Would love to see your end results 👍
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 06:04 PM   #3
kschwiggy
Enlisted Member
32
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i Conv.
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: DC Metro Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM20 BMW View Post
This is pure coincidence because Iíve just had this thought when I was sitting in my other family members F40 and G01, it looks so much nicer, modern and sleek and the fact the alarm LED especially when it blinks it looks a lot nicer, modern and bigger too. Would love to see your end results 👍
Yes! The lower profile alarm light was another major reason for doing this.

Updating the first post to add a comparison pic with the stock mirror.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2023, 06:28 PM   #4
AM20 BMW
Private
AM20 BMW's Avatar
United Kingdom
70
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: BMW 218i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschwiggy View Post
Yes! The lower profile alarm light was another major reason for doing this.

Updating the first post to add a comparison pic with the stock mirror.
I hope this doesnít too silly from me but is this just a straight direct swap plug and play. So no internals, wiring or the mount where the mirrors ball joint that plugs into doesnít need changing or anything? Cheers 👍
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 06:53 PM   #5
kschwiggy
Enlisted Member
32
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i Conv.
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: DC Metro Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM20 BMW View Post
I hope this doesnít too silly from me but is this just a straight direct swap plug and play. So no internals, wiring or the mount where the mirrors ball joint that plugs into doesnít need changing or anything? Cheers 👍
Not straight plug and play. The ball mount from the M235/240 needs to be removed from the stock mirror and mounted to the new mirror. The 4 wires of the new mirror need to be inserted into the stock harness plug. After doing this, the new mirror is plug and play.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2023, 06:57 PM   #6
AM20 BMW
Private
AM20 BMW's Avatar
United Kingdom
70
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: BMW 218i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschwiggy View Post
Not straight plug and play. The ball mount from the M235/240 needs to be removed from the stock mirror and mounted to the new mirror. The 4 wires of the new mirror need to be inserted into the stock harness plug. After doing this, the new mirror is plug and play.
Ah cool man, hope it shouldnít be too difficult. Iíve noticed yours has the homelink garage doors open function as mine hasnít got that.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 07:21 PM   #7
jb-slow
Second Lieutenant
69
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: m235i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: puyallup

iTrader: (0)

This would make a great how-to writeup.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 10:13 PM   #8
kschwiggy
Enlisted Member
32
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i Conv.
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: DC Metro Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM20 BMW View Post
Ah cool man, hope it shouldnít be too difficult. Iíve noticed yours has the homelink garage doors open function as mine hasnít got that.
There are versions of the mirror available without homelink.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2023, 01:59 PM   #9
Jarred Stanley
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: bmw x6 2010 / Jeep wrangler 18
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschwiggy View Post
I'll be swapping out the interior mirror with the larger, frameless version that we have on our X7. I will update this thread with install pics and results.

I believe there are many mirrors that will work. The mounting bracket differs between 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 various part numbers, but the mirror and four wires appear to be largely the same. Almost all mirror upgrades will require removing and reusing the ball mount from the M235/M240, so it doesn't really matter which model mirror you get as long as the mirror has the features you need.

I received two mirrors that I bought on eBay. Both have the modern glass shape, homelink buttons, high beam assist, and self-dimming. But some of these mirrors are even more frameless and thinner than others.

P/n 51169476754 has no bezel at all, and is completely frameless. The mirror is also thinner, and has an angular rear housing. This came off of a M850 and is the same mirror as used in the X7:
Attachment 3132196

p/n 51169459440 has a thin black bezel around the edge, though the glass appears to be the same shape and size. The mirror is thicker overall, and has a smooth rounded rear housing. This came off a 530i, and according to the eBay listing, this part number is used on the X5 and M5 as well:
Attachment 3132195

Comparison of the top and bottom of the 754 mirror (left) to the 440 mirror (right):
Attachment 3132197
Attachment 3132198

Comparison of the 754 mirror to the stock mirror:
Attachment 3132610
looks nice ! great job

Last edited by Jarred Stanley; 03-28-2023 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 PM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST