THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Water spots gone!

03-26-2023, 08:49 PM   #1
Asmedbeats
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 M3 Comp Xdrive  [0.00]
Water spots gone!

So I am pretty OCD with my washing process. A little background. I have full car ppf and halo coating on top. I have a pressure washer and use deionized water for my rinse. After a recent rain all the pollen clumped up and made a mess of the car. I typically will use Koch chemie GSF for my weekly washes. Well after washing it there were a ton of spotting on the bumper. I rewashed that day and the spots were still there. This sent me into a frenzie online about water spot removers etc. Well today I was all ready to wash and then get the water spot remover spray out. I used my car pro reset and bam all the spots were gone! Pretty amazed how much better reset is over Koch chemie. That being said I’ll probably use the Koch every week and reset once a month.
Appreciate 1
T0RM3NT3602.50
      03-26-2023, 09:35 PM   #2
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C /// 2023 XDrive40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Feel free to use CarPro Reset for every maintenance wash. The stuff is great and designed for this.
If you get into a bind with super hard water spots, CarPro Descale should be used as a pre-wash before your regular maintenance wash with Reset.

Every quarter, integrate a two step pre-wash process with CarPro Descale and Lift before your regular wash with Reset. This allows for lifting of inorganic and organic grime stuck on the car.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
T0RM3NT3602.50
      03-27-2023, 12:00 AM   #3
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmedbeats View Post
So I am pretty OCD with my washing process. A little background. I have full car ppf and halo coating on top. I have a pressure washer and use deionized water for my rinse. After a recent rain all the pollen clumped up and made a mess of the car. I typically will use Koch chemie GSF for my weekly washes. Well after washing it there were a ton of spotting on the bumper. I rewashed that day and the spots were still there. This sent me into a frenzie online about water spot removers etc. Well today I was all ready to wash and then get the water spot remover spray out. I used my car pro reset and bam all the spots were gone! Pretty amazed how much better reset is over Koch chemie. That being said I’ll probably use the Koch every week and reset once a month.
Sulphur pollen has been terrible this year here in northeast TX but I think almost over.
      03-27-2023, 07:04 AM   #4
Asmedbeats
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo1 View Post
Feel free to use CarPro Reset for every maintenance wash. The stuff is great and designed for this.
If you get into a bind with super hard water spots, CarPro Descale should be used as a pre-wash before your regular maintenance wash with Reset.

Every quarter, integrate a two step pre-wash process with CarPro Descale and Lift before your regular wash with Reset. This allows for lifting of inorganic and organic grime stuck on the car.

Hope this helps.
Good to know. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 08:50 PM   #5
T0RM3NT
Mr. Irrelevant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 G80M3CX Dravit/Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmedbeats View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info! Wondering how these products might affect ceramic coating? I have PPF and ceramic coating and wasn't sure if these products would cause me any grief.

Thanks again!
      04-03-2023, 12:09 PM   #6
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0RM3NT View Post
Thanks for the info! Wondering how these products might affect ceramic coating? I have PPF and ceramic coating and wasn't sure if these products would cause me any grief.

Thanks again!
Reset is designed to be a maintenance wash and works great with coated and PPF cars.

Descale will also work with your coating and it's great for a full decontamination after a long winter for example. It will strip off any additional wax or sealants as well...while not harming your ceramic coating.

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Debating whether or not I want to invest in Descale or Lift for a cars first wash before polish and then PPF. Thoughts?
      04-03-2023, 01:03 PM   #7
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Reset is designed to be a maintenance wash and works great with coated and PPF cars.

Descale will also work with your coating and it's great for a full decontamination after a long winter for example. It will strip off any additional wax or sealants as well...while not harming your ceramic coating.

Debating whether or not I want to invest in Descale or Lift for a cars first wash before polish and then PPF. Thoughts?

This is the rabbit hole I'm going down with all of these products.

Lift is a pre-wash meant to be foam cannon application.
Descale is meant to have agitation with a mit
Reset is meant to have agitation with a mit.

If you're taking your car to get it polished and PPF'd you would assume the shop that's doing the work will have these products and prep the paint before. I consider them maintenance products for the PPF/ceramic coating. If you're PPF'ing the car yourself, you could buy them and use them before the polish, as well as after as maintenance. But they really are meant as maintenance for already ppf'd/ceramic cars.

So they're pretty different products. I think it depends on how dirty your car is. Example, mine is weekend driven only, in nice weather so my vehicle doesn't really get that dirty. Because of this, i feel like I can skip lift. If your car is REALLY dirty or a daily driver, lift would be worth the investment to loosen the built up grime on the vehicle.

Descale is also a product you only really need to use once every few months. Reset you can use at every wash.

My plan on my PPF'd/ceramic coated car that is only driven once a week in nice weather is to pre soak the vehicle to just blast off the minor grime off. Then i'll two bucket the car with descale with a mitt. I'll rinse and follow up with a foam cannon of reset, and since the car will be mostly clean at this point, just use a clean mitt to wipe down the car with reset, and rinse.

My drying process is a leaf blower. I also have decently low PPM water (45) at my house, so if you live in an area with really hard water, a filtration system will really help (not cheap). Descale is meant to help with water spotting but also unclog the ceramic coating from hard water.

This is just my method with my vehicle. your mileage may vary and lift may be worth it for you. It isn't for me.
Appreciate 1
Game7375.50
      04-03-2023, 01:55 PM   #8
T0RM3NT
Mr. Irrelevant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 G80M3CX Dravit/Silverstone

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
This is the rabbit hole I'm going down with all of these products.

Lift is a pre-wash meant to be foam cannon application.
Descale is meant to have agitation with a mit
Reset is meant to have agitation with a mit.

If you're taking your car to get it polished and PPF'd you would assume the shop that's doing the work will have these products and prep the paint before. I consider them maintenance products for the PPF/ceramic coating. If you're PPF'ing the car yourself, you could buy them and use them before the polish, as well as after as maintenance. But they really are meant as maintenance for already ppf'd/ceramic cars.

So they're pretty different products. I think it depends on how dirty your car is. Example, mine is weekend driven only, in nice weather so my vehicle doesn't really get that dirty. Because of this, i feel like I can skip lift. If your car is REALLY dirty or a daily driver, lift would be worth the investment to loosen the built up grime on the vehicle.

Descale is also a product you only really need to use once every few months. Reset you can use at every wash.

My plan on my PPF'd/ceramic coated car that is only driven once a week in nice weather is to pre soak the vehicle to just blast off the minor grime off. Then i'll two bucket the car with descale with a mitt. I'll rinse and follow up with a foam cannon of reset, and since the car will be mostly clean at this point, just use a clean mitt to wipe down the car with reset, and rinse.

My drying process is a leaf blower. I also have decently low PPM water (45) at my house, so if you live in an area with really hard water, a filtration system will really help (not cheap). Descale is meant to help with water spotting but also unclog the ceramic coating from hard water.

This is just my method with my vehicle. your mileage may vary and lift may be worth it for you. It isn't for me.
Thank you. I'll give Reset a go!
      04-03-2023, 03:57 PM   #9
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Another vote for Reset. I have been using it on my coated cars for years. Really helps with heavy grime, bugs, etc. I very rarely need to break out an APC(Power Clean) to get things that can't be removed by Reset. Unless I want to use up other products, Reset goes in the bucket every wash.

Grab the big jug when one of the detailing places is having a sale with free shipping. Saves a bunch of money over buying the smaller jugs.
When you order the Reset get a small bottle of Descale and Lift to try. I have not used Descale as I still have some leftover spot remover from other brands, but it appears to be a great product. CarPro really makes top notch stuff.

I just recently purchased a jug of Lift and I'm really happy with it so far. Makes a super thick, clingy foam and smells really good(lavenderish). My previous foam soap was Adam's (purple one) and I was pretty happy with that, but Lift is another notch up in richness of suds.
Appreciate 2
Game7375.50
T0RM3NT3602.50
      04-07-2023, 03:47 PM   #10
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocken View Post
Another vote for Reset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0RM3NT View Post
Thank you. I'll give Reset a go!
Reset's fine, but a WAY better (and way cheaper) option is to go to O'Reilly's and get Superior products stuff, but you have to pre-order it by its product code (see below)

For pre-wash I use:
Road Warrior: dilute anywhere from 4:1 to 10:1, meaning one $12 gallon gets you 5 gallons of pre-wash. RW is also great for wheels & tires. I pretty much use it for everything. The key is, as with any pre-wash, never let it dry on your car and don't spray it on a hot car whether in the Sun or from driving. If the car has been in the rain or snow (thus road film), then RW is my go-to. 10:1 is reset, full strength is better than Lift. I've routinely used it full strength out of my foam cannon, or some glugs into my "muck bucket" for doing the wheels.

Pink Perfection: this is basically an APC + auto shampoo. It can be diluted & used as above like RW and it great for lighter road film and for bugs. Let's say you have bugs on your hood, then I'd foam, dwell, rinse and see what came off. If there's any left I'd foam, wipe with a MF, use a bug scrubber if needed, then rinse. Then continue with a wash. 4:1 is Lift, full strength is best for heavy bugs

Cherry Foam: this isn't a pre-wash, just a great auto shampoo for your foam cannon for cheap. If you do bucket washes, then you want to use Dirt Buster. Sometimes I'll mix in some pink perfection or Green-All (their APC) to give my maintenance wash a little more bite. All dilutable as above.
Basically you call your local O'Reillys and tell them you want to order by part num. So for, say, Road Warrior, you'd order C46-1 for the 1 gallon size. Then they'll have it at their store for pickup the next day.

So for $30 you can cover just about every car detailing need you have for at least a year.

As a side note, FWIW, I never 2 bucket as, for me, it's a lot of hassle for a worse wash than Garry Dean rinseless or pre-foam -> rinse -> rinseless.

If the car has been in the rain or snow (therefore road film), then it for sure gets a full strength foam down with Road Warrior and if I can see a lot of dirt then I'll do pass with mitts before the rinse and follow up with a GD rinseless.

Last edited by GrussGott; 04-07-2023 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2023, 02:44 PM   #11
jharris91
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e Red

I believe CarPro Reset removes all wax - true?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 11:10 AM   #12
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris91 View Post
False. https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...r-shampoo.html
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 12:49 PM   #13
viciousmo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80

thanks for this, I am going to try this stuff. Even washing in the early AM in Texas, I am still getting hard water spots after washing. After I wash my car, I bring it in the garage right away and hit it with a leaf blower, but it's not fast enough and I get water spots.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 02:01 PM   #14
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

I never understand why people think reset is heavy duty or something. It's just soap, and it doesn't leave anything behind. It's ph neutral. use it as much as you want. it's just a little expensive, but I love it. I use it every week.

However, you can save money and get soap that is just as good. Meg's Hyperwash is also 500:1 and leave nothing behind. I also love Nanskin hypersuds, grape scent, 800:1 dilution! Leaves nothing behind.
      10-17-2023, 06:37 PM   #15
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

In my experience on a test panel, the alkaline products hurt sealants and even some coatings much more than the acids do. So, as a prep, I think Lift will do more work. If you have water spots etc then Descale may be better. Once you coat it, I would personally stick to Reset and Descale and not use Lift at all. I know most pros don't agree on that, but I think they overuse alkaline products and cause premature degradation. That said, if you are going to clay and polish after washing I don't think it matters what soap you use at all. If you already own it, just spray the car with an APC first because soaps like Lift are basically just mixes of Reset + APC.
Appreciate 1
Game7375.50
      10-17-2023, 06:39 PM   #16
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris91 View Post
It's not the most gentle but it's also not that strong. In fact, most of the "strip washes" out there will completely fail to strip recently applied waxes or sealants.
Appreciate 0