THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Risks involved in flashing the ECU with piggyback tune

02-27-2023, 12:20 PM   #1
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Risks involved in flashing the ECU with piggyback tune

Hello, I'd really appreciate a definitive answer to this vexing issue.

I've lost the use of my excellent BMW navigation data subscription service and also my presets in the radio dash; this is because BMW has transitioned from 4G to 5G data service (I think I got that terminology right) and I'd need a one-time electronic update involving flashing the car's ECU to restore it.

My tuner says that a Dinan piggyback tune should not be invalidated if the dealership carries out this update because a piggyback does not change ECU settings, it just tweaks the engine data input to it. My SA at the dealership -- who is good -- said "what do you prefer, the tune or the traffic data?" and when I told her that the tune is my priority, she advised me against doing the ECU flash.

For the moment I am being cautious and not having the update done, although I am a little sad to lose the exceptionally good BMW traffic data service.

Can anyone who knows more about this than I do please pronounce definitively re. whether or not I should risk the electronic update/flash? I'd be very grateful. Thank you!

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 12:32 PM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Just to be clear, you are talking about a physical module and not a flash tune? Are you not able to revert the car to stock settings and reapply after their update?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 02:06 PM   #3
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Just to be clear, you are talking about a physical module and not a flash tune? Are you not able to revert the car to stock settings and reapply after their update?
It’s a module, a piggyback. I am fairly sure that if the ECU is flashed back to stock there will be some way to reinstate the tune but I am not so sure if I want to take the risk. I’m a bit stuck on this.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 02:23 PM   #4
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I don't have experience with this personally.. but I was under the impression that the piggyback intercepts and adjusts the sensor readings before heading into the ECU. That's how people are able to use piggybacks like JB4 with locked ECUs (newer models). I don't know if this update would lock your ECU to future flash tunes, but it should be immune to piggyback blocking.

Hopefully someone else with experience can chime in with more solid info on this. It wouldn't hurt to put another post out in the 3 series side of the N55 forums for more traffic.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 02:45 PM   #5
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
I don't have experience with this personally.. but I was under the impression that the piggyback intercepts and adjusts the sensor readings before heading into the ECU. That's how people are able to use piggybacks like JB4 with locked ECUs (newer models). I don't know if this update would lock your ECU to future flash tunes, but it should be immune to piggyback blocking.

Hopefully someone else with experience can chime in with more solid info on this. It wouldn't hurt to put another post out in the 3 series side of the N55 forums for more traffic.
Thanks. Just to be clear, the car is a 2015 M228i with the SULEV N20 engine and a Dinan Stage 1 piggyback tune.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 10:24 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

It sounds like you have the Dinantronics; you can get the flash done with the tune installed without a problem.

If you need to go to the dealership, I recommend removing the tuner to avoid headaches.

But no issues with getting the update done on the car with the Dinan piggyback installed.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 11:12 AM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

if this is a Dinan piggyback that physically ties into the DME through a couple cables, the DME update will do nothing the Dinan unit. The piggyback does absolutely nothing to the code of the DME. It simply gives the DME false information to make the DME change boost, fuel, ignition, etc.
      03-03-2023, 09:07 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
if this is a Dinan piggyback that physically ties into the DME through a couple cables, the DME update will do nothing the Dinan unit. The piggyback does absolutely nothing to the code of the DME. It simply gives the DME false information to make the DME change boost, fuel, ignition, etc.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0